July 14, 2020, 09:58:44 PM

Author Topic: Where do you buy your books and why?  (Read 15610 times)

Offline Minesril

Re: Where do you buy your books and why?
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2011, 08:30:42 AM »
As a practically-independent bookseller I do, of course, hate Amazon, and have lost count of the times a customer has asked me for a price of a book, only to say, 'but Amazon are selling it at...'  Unfortunately my expectation to provide at least adequate customer service prevents me from snapping, 'Do you want us to go out of business?  Do you actually want me to lose my job?  Do you know anything at all about the book trade?  No?  So fuck off.'

I really like charity shops in posh areas of town - not only are the clothes pretty good, you can find some hardbacks too.  And generally the workers of a charity shop don't think to check if it's a first edition...and if I can then get it signed I'm actually feeling pretty good!

Otherwise hardbacks I'll get from Waterstone's as they're generally half price on release - I feel pretty bad about the margin they're no doubt making on that, but hey I'm usually too poor to be choosy.  Paperbacks I'll get from work and use my staff discount.

Offline Vilutheril

« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2011, 09:17:56 AM »
Even worse are the big chain stores that sell at or under cost price to bring in customers and outcompete opposition. No-one believes you when you tell them that but it's true. They can sell under cost because you might buy a shirt or something at the same time which does make them a profit. :/
You can follow me on my website, on goodreads or on twitter!

Offline Overlord

« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2011, 09:59:39 AM »
Even worse are the big chain stores that sell at or under cost price to bring in customers and outcompete opposition. No-one believes you when you tell them that but it's true. They can sell under cost because you might buy a shirt or something at the same time which does make them a profit. :/

The Works has a ton of Fantasy Books for 99p at the minute... I hate to do it... but when you see books by Hobb, G.R.R. Martin or Deas for 99p it's just impossible to say no!!!
Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering

Offline Vilutheril

« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2011, 01:16:42 PM »
Yeah that is tempting so I understand. It's just when people abuse you about 'ripping them off' even when you sell the book under RRP that I get annoyed. I'm sure you don't do that and you probably buy enough books anyway to make up for the odd transgression. :P  :)

On a slightly unrelated note, we have a sale bin of really cheap older editions and sometimes you get really good authors. I was sad when I found one of my favourite Australian fantasy authors, Sara Douglass, in there but I couldn't reconcile the fact that the cover looked like http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/d/sara-douglass/pilgrim.htm
It usually looks like this: http://voyageronline.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/pilgrim.jpg

Up close it just looks like someone vomited computer graphics, in my opinion. I feel a bit mean saying that. But it's true!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 01:18:48 PM by Vilutheril »

Offline Minesril

« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2011, 05:07:15 PM »

They don't sell under cost price.  They order in hundreds more of the book than independents can afford, or lack the space to store, which means they get nice big publisher discounts.  Big stores can just about afford to sell a book at half price - independents, no way.

Offline Vilutheril

« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2011, 05:17:04 PM »
Some of them here definitely sell under our cost price. They often sell at about 65-70% under retail when our average publisher discount is 45%. Their own staff even admit it. But yes they probably do get bigger discounts for ordering thousands at once. I don't mean big book chains btw, I mean department stores.

To be fair, that is usually just one particular Australian department chain. But I kind of have a vendetta against them after the first couple of bogans threw something at me because of it.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 05:18:49 PM by Vilutheril »

Offline aaronjay

« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2011, 01:12:40 AM »

It becomes an activity in itself right? :D

Pretty much :)

Offline DBASKLS

« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2011, 02:57:04 PM »
I'm surprised more people aren't using greenmetropolis.com  come on UK based folks tis environmentally friendly!
  • Currently reading : Dominion - C J Sansom
  • On hold : The Way of Kings - Brandon Sanderson

Offline Overlord

« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2011, 10:28:44 AM »
I'm surprised more people aren't using greenmetropolis.com  come on UK based folks tis environmentally friendly!

Not heard of that before, but after checking it out I'm going to save it and use it when I can :) Good cause!

Offline Nighteyes

• DON'T send me Leopard Erotica!
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2011, 11:59:45 AM »
I am beginning to get the impression that everyone on this site lives in a log cabin in the woods and just ventures out once a week to the nearby town which has a pop of around 500. 
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Overlord

« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2011, 02:27:44 PM »
I am beginning to get the impression that everyone on this site lives in a log cabin in the woods and just ventures out once a week to the nearby town which has a pop of around 500. 

Hahahaha. You know where I live - so you know that is not true ;)

Offline iwillreadbooks

« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2011, 11:06:26 PM »
Amazon for paper and ebooks. I've been a customer for over 10 years and bought from them even when I lived in Sweden. In spite of shipping and added VAT and customs it was still cheaper to order from Amazon than to buy from a book store in Sweden.

I'm a fanboy :)
I Will Read Books (and review them) http://iwillreadbooks.com

Offline Elspeth Cooper

« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2011, 03:39:50 PM »

Um, that's me, that is. Except it's not a log cabin and "the woods" means the little Northumbrian mining village of Pegswood (pop. 3,250). You're right about the once a week thing, though.
The Wild Hunt: Songs of the Earth  |  Trinity Rising  |  The Raven's Shadow  |  The Dragon House

Offline Funky Scarecrow

« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2011, 05:18:35 PM »
Haddaway... Me, too! I'm just down from the Welfare, next to the post office. Talk about a small world. :D

EDITED TO ADD: If for some bizarre reason, I don't know - you live under a rock or something, you're unaware of the existence of Pegswood before today... The place is so unworthy of notice, that the insult some wag buried in the first paragraph of this link has remained uncorrected for at least 12 months. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pegswood#History
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 05:24:28 PM by Funky Scarecrow »
I am NOT short. I'm further away than I look.

Offline Shamrock

« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2011, 06:37:52 PM »
Haha no, I actually live in the Tshwane metro which is the third biggest metro in the world (geographically).
http://www.fin24.com/Economy/Tshwane-Metro-to-be-worlds-third-biggest-20110508
But you're not far off about the shops once a week ;)
Books are the blessed chloroform of the mind