October 30, 2020, 01:30:23 AM

Author Topic: When a series joins the circus  (Read 5214 times)

Offline missoularedhead

Re: When a series joins the circus
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2011, 07:45:36 PM »
yeah, I'll agree with that line in Feist...it annoyed me six ways from Sunday. I don't know...I think Feist really joined the circus when he started writing the OTHER rift series. Giant lizard people? REALLY?!?!
"Well behaved women rarely make history" ~Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Offline Funky Scarecrow

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2011, 08:08:42 PM »
With the Midkemia novels, I don't think they so much joined the circus, as sort of ended up there because they had nowhere else to go. I was OK with the Giant Lizard People, I was OK with giving them a bloody obvious name (Saurians? *sighs*), I was even OK with Pug/Nakor/Tomas becoming gigantic black holes of overpowered story distortion, since at least with the Serpent War series I got the impression he was trying to stretch himself as a writer of epic fantasy, move his style and plotting in new directions. Everything that came after that, though?

Let me put it this way, other than the original Riftwar trilogy and the Serpent War series, the only Midkemia/Kelewan novels I genuinely enjoyed were the collaborative efforts Murder in LaMut and Honoured Enemy, which is quite telling.
I am NOT short. I'm further away than I look.

Offline Tenfingers

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2011, 09:02:07 AM »
Magician is one of my favourite novels, but I've only read the 2 others that complete the trilogy. Even after all these years, I can still remember how disappointing they were, and never read anything else.

After all this time, I still believe Magician remains a great stand-alone novel. Certainly, the further adventures of Pug and co were much better as a home-made D&D campaign than in the official sequels.

I won't mention Star Wars... (Ewoks?? Jar Jar Binks??) Whoops, couldn't help it.  ;D
"Just write every day of your life. Read intensely. Then see what happens."
- Ray Bradbury

www.mister-alister.blogspot.co.uk

Offline Drying Ink

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2011, 05:38:35 PM »
Magician is, I think, a rather good example of a book which should have been left well alone in terms of any series potential. In a spirit of (morbid) exploration, I read one of his latest books. It was bad. Very bad.

Offline Nighteyes

• Juicy dwarf/orc erotica to go.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2012, 09:17:50 PM »
Peter V Brett just reminded me about this on twitter.  He suggested Prince Aegon showing up for 'joining the circus'.  Any new suggestions?
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2012, 09:53:19 PM »
Joins the circus? Like as in too much plot that if becomes convoluted for the writer?
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

For book reviews - https://acerbicwriting.com/

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2012, 10:06:47 PM »
See the bit where Nynaeve and Elayne joined the circus is one of my favourite moments in The Wheel of Time. This could just be my Nynaeve obsession kicking in, though. It would have been a far better series had she been the main character rather than that drip Rand.

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2020, 05:25:58 PM »
Dresden maybe?
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline bdcharles

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2020, 09:10:16 PM »
In tv they call it jumping the shark based on an infamous Happy Days episode. I propose calling it joining the circus for fantasy books. I dont mean though the moment when the series goes bad but the moment it becomes clear the writer has lost control and the series has grown too convoluted. I think I have just reached that moment in Wheel of Time with Jordan having to get Nynaeve and co to join a circus for a few chapters to keep them out of the way. In ASOIAF, its probably the moment at the end of Storm of Swords when Jamie sends Briene off to find Sansa and Arya.Any other moments like this in other fantasy sagas?

*Gasps in horror at MS* *ignores flapping of tents in wind*

No, I jest. When I need a character to be out of the way for a bit, I give them either a drink problem or a job.

I can't think of many in fantasy though. I am a fairly credulous individual so unless something is so glaringly out of character, I'll pretty much accept anything. "Joined the circus" though; that definitely has legs as a phrase.:)
Find me on twitter @jd_books

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2020, 09:40:39 PM »
I can't think of many in fantasy though. I am a fairly credulous individual so unless something is so glaringly out of character, I'll pretty much accept anything. "Joined the circus" though; that definitely has legs as a phrase.:)
Me too ;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2020, 01:33:00 AM »
Dresden maybe?
Has Harry ever actually joined a circus? Some of the characters in Seanan McGuire’s Incryptid series did.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2020, 05:27:32 AM »
Dresden maybe?

+1 for Post Changes Dresden. The series didn't manage to attract my attention like it once did, and now I'm kind of putting off myself from buying or reading the newer Dresdens. Maybe I'm still going to order Side Jobs, though, since I wanted to read Back Up, the novella from Thomas's POV.

Offline Peat

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2020, 01:18:38 AM »
I can't pinpoint moments but I know exactly what Nighteyes means for both Wheel of Time and Song of Ice and Fire.

Feist's moment comes somewhere in the Conclave of Shadows series. Possibly when the MC regrows his hand via magic. Fwiw, the sexy romance parts of The Empire trilogy honestly ain't that big a deal and I'm wondering if @Nighteyes ever finished that.

I'd also add that Kerr's moment in the series is in fact not when joining a circus, but probably somewhere around the Cerr Cewnen arc/discovering the second set of elves.

White Wolf was my "really" moment with Gemmell's Drenai.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/