July 14, 2020, 04:15:22 AM

Author Topic: What were your first fantasy books?  (Read 5816 times)

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
What were your first fantasy books?
« on: November 27, 2015, 06:02:27 PM »
(Following on from the Fantasy Books Gone Mainstream thread, where it was mentioned that popular books which receive a lot of criticism often act as gateway novels, and introduce new people to the genre in spite of their flaws.)

Question: what were the first few fantasy books/series that really hooked you on the genre?

Up until a couple of years ago I hadn't read any fantasy since enjoying a handful of series as a kid/teenager (Harry Potter, Darren Shan, Alvin Maker, LOTR), and I was much more into sci-fi.

In summer 2013, a friend gave us a spare copy of a fantasy novel that he had recommended to us. I blasted through it in no time at all, and loved it to bits. Straight away I went out and bought all the other books written by that author, and loved them too (except for one series, which I couldn't have disliked more).

Since I'd enjoyed it so much, I decided to read some more fantasy - after all, what were the chances that I'd stumbled upon the best one first? I had no clue what was actually good or not, so I took a risk and bought a random trilogy that had a high rating on GR. Yet again absolutely loved it, and quickly read through that author's backlog, and again enjoyed the majority of the other series.

After all that - 30-odd novels which took me about a year to read in total - I was completely sold on fantasy.

That first book was Assassin's Apprentice, and I still feel like that gateway novel (author, really) is one of the best I've read - even re-reading the series now with much more experience in the genre I find them brilliant. The series I bought at random was Mistborn (shortly followed by Stormlight Archive), and again I still think they're brilliant.

So: was I lucky, or do most people still feel the same about the books that they read first?  :P
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline night_wrtr

Re: What were your first fantasy books?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 06:18:13 PM »
Watership Down by Richard Adams was the first book I can remember that captured me emotionally on a level I'd never experienced. Weird, with the characters being rabbits and all.

Joe Abercrombie and his First Law series really threw me full force into the Fantasy genre, though. After that series a friend introduced me to the Wheel of Time. I've been a fantasy reader ever since.

I think the first book that catches you off guard and introduces you to something you haven't seen or felt before will always stick with you. It may not be the best work, but it still might resonate because of that emotional connection it held.

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 07:12:56 PM »
Deathgate Cycle by Weis & Hickman this led me to Dragonlance if it wasn't for Weis and Hickman I wouldn't be reading now I be one of those people who don't read books  :o

School never got me interested in books as there only read boring stuff like Buddy's Song we didn't even get to do Shakespeare or Dickens,Dragon Wing I think was a birthday gift I read when I was bored.

From Dragonlance I went to Forgotten Realms to Ravenloft to Darksun eventually branched out of TSR novels and read other fantasy books

Dragon Wing when I read it was amazing with all this characters like Haplo and his mysterious dog and Alfred and Hugh the Hand  and  I also like to think that Fizban was in disguise as Zifnab despite what Tracy Hickman says  ;D

and now I've ended up here
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 07:19:38 PM by Eclipse »
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Yora

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 08:16:43 PM »
Hard to say, my memory doesn't reach back that far.

Certainly the big Michael Ende books: Neverending Story, Jim Button, and Momo.
Several Astrid Lindgrens would also count: Ronia Robbers Daughter and The Brothers Lionheart come to mind.
And The Hobbit.
I would say Grimm's Fairy Tales also count.

I think the first novel I took from my parents bookshelf to read myself was The Lord of the Rings when I was 12 or so.

You could say I was raised on that stuff.  :D
We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on a big tower of other dwarves.

Beneath the Leaves of Kaendor

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
What were your first fantasy books?
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2015, 09:04:17 PM »
About the same as Yora.

Neverending story, Jim Button, Momo and other fantastical children's books.

Then LotR with twelve and Shannara with fourteen or so.

After that Forgotten Realms, Immortals quartet by Pierce and lots of other stuff.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Yora

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2015, 09:20:04 PM »
I think the Dark Elf Trilogy was the first thing I read after children's book and Lord of the Rings.
Did you also have the three green books?  ;D

Though my brother and I had already read pretty much all the Star Wars novels that existed back then. Sadly, those mostly lacked most of the fantasy aspects and where pretty much just science-fiction.
We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on a big tower of other dwarves.

Beneath the Leaves of Kaendor

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2015, 09:42:10 PM »
Jurassic Park, by Michael Crichton.
When i was waaay young, didn't even understood most of it, but it was the very first fantastical book i've read. I think it was after the movie, a lot of things got changed. Resulted in dinossaur adiction with friends.

My father had the book, in hardcover. He just liked to buy random books, i think he never even read it. More than 20 years, it's... somewhat holding up. Don't have the prologue pages anymore, but 90% of the book is still there! Didn't help it was in the hands of a careless child for so much time ::)

The Chronicles of Arthur, by Bernard Cornwell, many years later was the first one that introduced me to Medieval settings, sword, "sorcery", battles, court intrigues, etc.

The Dark Tower, by Stephen King. A friend said for me to read it and lend me the books. I finished the series before him, much to his annoyance. I plan to do a re-read, so many years have passed.

Then many more years passed until i touched fantasy again. I didn't even knew about book genres, etc. I think i read some Sharpe along the way, but it was way before i entered university.

I studied Business, so i got a lot of books on those, but by about the 2nd year ( 3 years ago) or so, and I was tired of only reading that. So I went to search for something to relax, I missed the big books of the Dark Tower and Chronicles of Arthur, so I researched something similar.

There was this Game of Thrones collector box with the 3 first volumes. I didn't knew there was an HBO series. Didn't knew the author. The blurb wasn't even attention catching. But i found Eddard sitting on that throne of swords pretty cool and that it had a large amount of pages, sounded somewhat similar to Cornwell, although in a fictional land. So i got it.

Thank you very much, Mr. Martin.

Discovered there were volumes 4 and 5 as well. Got them. I think i read Dan Brown's books and Hunger Games later. But i really didn't read a lot, and couldn't, was finishing the course.
So i'm kinda new in the genre  ;D

Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2015, 09:46:32 PM »
I really can't remember, I don't think I ever made the distinction or was aware of Fantasy as a separate genre until just a few years ago.
I grew up in a time where bookshops were only split between children's books and adult books.

I read LotR, I read Mists of Avalon, I read William Horwood, all in my teens. I didn't know to call them fantasy.
I read lots of Jules Verne as a young girl, still in portuguese. I didn't know to call them sci-fi.
When he died, I remember learning here on F-F that Graham Joyce was a fantasy writer. His novel 'Indigo' is a very old favourite, but I didn't know to call it fantasy.

The other day I picked up an old book from my shelf, something a friend gave me over 20 years ago, about this guy who played music in fairs and he actually had a hidden strength of being able to wake frozen/sleeping elves. I remembered the story in bits and pieces, but this time I was caught by the words in the title page: An Urban Fantasy. Funny, eh?

I mean, for goodness sake, I read all the first 4 books of ASoIaF without linking it to the tag 'fantasy' ::)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 09:49:01 PM by ScarletBea »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2015, 10:24:11 PM »
I think the Dark Elf Trilogy was the first thing I read after children's book and Lord of the Rings.
Did you also have the three green books?  ;D

Though my brother and I had already read pretty much all the Star Wars novels that existed back then. Sadly, those mostly lacked most of the fantasy aspects and where pretty much just science-fiction.
Yep, the green ones. (Still have them.)
And I read Crystal Shard first and the Dark Elf Trilogy later.

I think I read Mists of Avalon and the Woods of Albion and how they all are called between LotR and Shannara.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2015, 10:38:48 PM »
I don't really remember. A lot of great children's books are fantasy, and I think it's more a case of not stopping reading fantasy than of starting reading it.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2015, 12:12:36 AM »
The Dark is Rising, something with a talking black panther in it and Nichol Williamson reading the Hobbit on LP if that counts.

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2015, 01:46:02 AM »
Harry Potter. Later on, it was Terry Brooks's Shannara books.

Now I read way too much fantasy.

Offline ClintACK

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2015, 02:00:29 AM »
As a kid, Narnia, Prydain, and fairy tales.

Then my very first "full-length-novels" -- the first Xanth trilogy.  (I think there really were only three of those books back then.)

Then the Hobbit.

DNF'd LoTR in the many chapters of walking through swamps.  But did finish the Once and Future King.

Then found D&D, Dragonlance, the Belgariad... and lots, lots more.

Online cupiscent

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2015, 03:37:10 AM »
When I was about eleven, I was playing a computer game called Hugo's House of Horrors, and at one point, there was a little literature quiz to get past an annoying old guy. The first question was, "What is the name of the Hobbit?" I asked my school librarian - I was at that stage an absolutely voracious reader already - and she put the book into my hands. It was this cover, which to this day remains the image conjured by the word "dragon", and I was hooked.

But I didn't realise it was a whole genre - that there might be a whole realm of books like this - until a couple of years later when another librarian encounter (bless librarians) put me onto David Eddings. From there, Feist, Jordan, Weis & Hickman and Pratchett swiftly followed.

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2015, 04:41:28 AM »
Chronicles of Narnia, Harry Potter, and Erigon would've been my first. I read all those when I was about 8 or 9. Fantasy didn't make another appearance until Percy Jackson around 11 or 12. Then The Demon Wars Saga by R. A. Salvatore, Night Angel Trilogy  by Brent Weeks, Demon Cycle by Peter V. Brett, Light Bringer Series by Brent Weeks, A Song of Ice and Fire by Terry Pratchet... Oh yeah, George R. R. Martin. Forgot the author there for a sec. :P
And so on and so on.