August 21, 2019, 12:55:33 PM

Author Topic: What were your hardest characters to write about?  (Read 990 times)

Online Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
What were your hardest characters to write about?
« on: December 21, 2018, 01:46:42 PM »
Is it the Villian,hero or someone else

I’m reading Justin’s book and he has got a mystery insane/sane character and thought he must be quite hard to write.

How hard is it to write a character like not lu @Justan Henner ? Were you influenced by a Malazan character?

« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 01:53:53 PM by Eclipse »
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
Re: What were your hardest characters to write about?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 02:46:43 PM »
Any character who would embarrass Mrs. JMack to read about. Or any character who is sort of like Mrs. JMack.  :P

(I might give a serious answer... later  ;) ;D)
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Justan Henner

• Barbarian who pronounces are, our and hour all the same way
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2018, 07:20:33 PM »
How hard is it to write a character like not lu @Justan Henner ? Were you influenced by a Malazan character?

Hey, thanks for reading! I'm honored. ;D

Spoiler for Hiden:
Wait... You're not me, are you?

Yes, there's a bit of influence from Iskaral Pust there, and maybe a bit of Kruppe, and some Morgan Freeman (because, obviously why not?), though the biggest influence is probably the concept that underlies his aspect (which I won't spoil :-X).

As for writing him... It depends on my mood and level of inebriation, but Lu might be one of the easier to write, actually. There's a lot less need for internal consistency, which makes it easier to just vomit words onto the page. Plus, I can leave ridiculous shit in that for another character I'd cut as breaking character or tone. (In fact, there's been a few occasions where I've had to stop and take something out of another character's chapter because it sounds too much like Lu, or it's just too silly).

Sometimes it can be hard to get into the rhyming and logic scheme that his thoughts and dialogue follow, but it's usually the less eccentric characters that are more difficult for me. Mainly because it's harder to recognize when say, Sybil's personality bleeds into Null's, because it's probably not a line about putting people brains into shoes. Instead, it's probably something more subtle like Null having too much confidence, or Sybil having too little enthusiasm.

Offline Not Lu

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2018, 07:51:18 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:

Yes, there's a bit of influence from Iskaral Pust there, and maybe a bit of Kruppe, and some Morgan Freeman (because, obviously why not?), though the biggest influence is probably the concept that underlies his aspect (which I won't spoil :-X).

You just spoiled it by saying he's got an aspect... therefore, he's a god. Thanks a lot.  :'(

Oh, and I want royalties since you stole my name. My attorney will contact you shortly.

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2018, 02:20:58 AM »

Spoiler for Hiden:

You just spoiled it by saying he's got an aspect... therefore, he's a god. Thanks a lot.  :'(

Oh, and I want royalties since you stole my name. My attorney will contact you shortly.

Haha @Not Lu  what a coincidence!  Not Lu is really really fun to read (as are all of @Justan Henner 's characters! Their various insanities make them all so rich and fascinating) (BTW you can kinda tell Not Lu is a god off the bat so I don't think it's too much of a spoiler)

For me, I have a hard time writing characters that are smarter than me.  My fav character is also my hardest character to write. She's this con artist who's basically like if La Femme Nikita was actually an anarchist rebel activist in a fantasy setting.  She's strategic, plotting and super smooth, and always knows exactly what to say in any situation.  Which is hard because I often don't know what to say when I'm writing her.

Online Peat

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2018, 12:42:13 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:

Haha @Not Lu  what a coincidence!  Not Lu is really really fun to read (as are all of @Justan Henner 's characters! Their various insanities make them all so rich and fascinating) (BTW you can kinda tell Not Lu is a god off the bat so I don't think it's too much of a spoiler)

For me, I have a hard time writing characters that are smarter than me.  My fav character is also my hardest character to write. She's this con artist who's basically like if La Femme Nikita was actually an anarchist rebel activist in a fantasy setting.  She's strategic, plotting and super smooth, and always knows exactly what to say in any situation.  Which is hard because I often don't know what to say when I'm writing her.

Clearly its just what the other person in the conversation wants to hear least. Duh  :P

Offline Not Lu

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2018, 05:40:32 PM »

To come clean, I must confess that I know Justan in real life... and was having some fun at his expense. I stole the name from his book before I fully understood who Lu is. I still don't quite know who he is, but I'm pretty sure the interpretation I had at the time I stole the name wasn't right. So, now I have a name as confusing as the character.

Also, your character sounds like it would be very hard to write. Just coming up with strategy and tactics that are unique/different (not overused) would be tough.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2018, 08:13:23 PM »
To come clean, I must confess that I know Justan in real life... and was having some fun at his expense.
Oh that is so cool!
We didn't know that :D
I've met people from the forum, but it was after chatting here hehe
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline ArhiX

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2018, 06:45:57 PM »
I do not know if I understood the question in a right manner.
The hardest characters for me to write about are the ones who are supposed to be SMARTER than I am and who can plot intrigues one after another. For some reason I cannot get into their heads. I can write monsters, dragons, very serious old and melancholic veterans... Yet political drama is waaaaay over my head.  :-X
"The world is full of stories, and from time to time, they permit themselves to be told."