4 (40%)
Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City
2 (20%)
Red Rising
1 (10%)
Sins of Empire
2 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: What Should I Read Next  (Read 457 times)

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

What Should I Read Next
« on: August 05, 2020, 09:09:34 AM »
What should I read next in my TBR list after I've finished reading my current YA read? (I've already read the first Riyria book a long while back)

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: What Should I Read Next
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 09:52:47 AM »
Red Sister, I think you'll like it :)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Online Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Bookworm first, human second.
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 10:16:02 AM »
Sins of Empire is one of my favourite books from the past few years. Elantris is good too, though not as good as Sanderson's others.

I couldn't get into Riyria or Red Sister, even though I loved Lawrence's earlier books.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline Bender

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 02:29:21 PM »
1. Red Sister
2. Riyria
3. Elantris

I haven't read Red Rising and wasn't really impressed with Sixteen Ways and Sins of Empire.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2020, 10:01:37 AM »
Thanks guys! So Red Sister came in as no.1, and I can definitely cut out Red Rising and Elantris for now.  :D My TBR list here I come.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2020, 02:51:10 PM »
I found red sister to be a disappointment xD
Every books by that guy I tried eventually let me down... I know it's an unpopular opinion on this forum though, and Mark Lawrence is well loved. Let it be known that Sixteen Ways is pretty hilarious and a very fast read, so if you need a break... go for it.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2020, 05:10:50 PM »
Every books by that guy I tried eventually let me down... I know it's an unpopular opinion on this forum though, and Mark Lawrence is well loved. Let it be known that Sixteen Ways is pretty hilarious and a very fast read, so if you need a break... go for it.

I agree with everything said in this post.
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2020, 12:24:45 AM »

I agree with everything said in this post.

Me too! :D I've tried so hard to enjoy Mark Lawrence, because he's popular and prolific and I find a lot of his concepts interesting, but it's just never quite worked out. I am resigned to it. Hooray for fantasy's great array of varying tastes.

And Mr Dee is currently reading Sixteen Ways and guffawing out loud on a regular basis.

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2020, 09:27:22 AM »
Oh thanks guys. Sixteen Ways and Red Sister are definitely my to reads, then. I'll try to juggle between these two and see which one sticks to me better for the time being, hahah.

Online Magnus Hedén

• High Lord of commas and Grand Master of semicolons
  • Ambient Mage
  • My name is Magnus. I make stuff up.
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2020, 01:20:27 PM »
Definitely a tossup between Sixteen Ways and Red Sister. That being said, those are the only ones I've read.  ;D

Offline Bender

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2020, 03:29:40 PM »
Sixteen Ways is an off book. A paradox of a book, where the theme and feel are completely opposite to each other. A city under siege with no leadership surrounded by murderous army....and the inhabitants take it all on the fly with lots of humor? It did elicit a couple of laughs...but not really a funny book.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2020, 01:27:18 AM »
Unhelpful here, I know, but I haven’t read many of these and I wouldn’t recommend the ones I have.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com