October 24, 2020, 04:31:42 AM

Author Topic: What Sci-Fi book are you currently reading?  (Read 88798 times)

Offline hexa

Re: What Sci-Fi book are you currently reading?
« Reply #225 on: January 13, 2020, 09:48:49 PM »
URP 113 by Mike D. Parker.  Military horror novella.  Good stuff

RochelleStephens

« Reply #226 on: February 19, 2020, 04:14:58 AM »

Daughters of Twilight

The special tactical teams had been trained for normal encounters with flesh and blood… not supernatural beings. A quiet little city in the Midwest town of Waterloo, Iowa is about to come to life… with angels! When an earthquake measuring seven hits Waterloo, a huge black pyramid shaped tower pushes it’s way up through a corn field in Blackhawk County spinning the city into the national spot light. It’s thought that the “Black Tower” is dormant, but when special tactical teams are sent inside to investigate, special team member Dane Coles is confronted by the impossible…a beautiful creature that has been cursed and cast down into oblivion within the Garden of Eden, using the ‘Black Tower’ as a doorway to the surface…

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #227 on: February 20, 2020, 07:58:57 AM »
^ I'll give you a pass this time and not delete the post, but we don't like self-advertising in this section. Also it might backfire, because your book doesn't look like sci-fi, which is what this thread is about....
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #228 on: February 21, 2020, 01:10:16 PM »
It seemed like paranormal romance story? I'm still all hands for deleting advertising posts, though Bea.  ;D *cheer malevolently*

Offline Bender

« Reply #229 on: February 21, 2020, 02:50:25 PM »
Deleting would be a bit harsh. Perhaps can be moved to small press or critique works section.

Doesn't look like usual teen-centric PNR. Has some romance, but sci-fi and fantasy elements seem to be in the fore.

Have way too much in my tbr list already.

"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline hexa

« Reply #230 on: March 23, 2020, 04:31:09 PM »
Pulp magazines of the year 1951.  1952 will see the premiere of If and Fantastic

Offline hexa

« Reply #231 on: April 06, 2020, 01:48:08 AM »
A Rain of Fire by Ralph Kern

Offline hexa

« Reply #232 on: July 31, 2020, 06:13:41 AM »
Shadows of Arcturus by Tom Chattle

Offline Cherie

« Reply #233 on: July 31, 2020, 09:21:18 AM »
I've just started on All Systems Red the first in the Murderbot books by Martha Wells.

Offline Caith

« Reply #234 on: July 31, 2020, 10:03:12 AM »
I'm about half way through the May/June issue of Interzone (UK based SF magazine). First time I've read it, quality writing all round and three good (if a bit weird) stories so far, out of four.

After that, its the 2000AD sci-fi special then on to Children of Ruin by Adrian Tchaikovsky.

Offline Bender

« Reply #235 on: July 31, 2020, 07:06:23 PM »
I've been debating between Ancillary Justice and Revelation Space for some time now.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline Cherie

« Reply #236 on: July 31, 2020, 07:37:20 PM »
@Bender I loved Ancilliary Justice. Although the story was very different, it reminded me a lot of Anne McCaffrey's Brainship novels. I think it was more the feel of it, and how the MC is trying to find their own identity.

Offline isos81

« Reply #237 on: July 31, 2020, 08:05:14 PM »
Halfway through Children of Time
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Kingkiller
  • Bookworm first, human second.
« Reply #238 on: August 05, 2020, 03:04:37 PM »

How are you finding it?
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline isos81

« Reply #239 on: August 10, 2020, 06:45:29 AM »

How are you finding it?

I have mixed feelings. I started this book even without knowing what it was about. It was like Sine Wave reading this book. I can't say that I loved this book, but it was a very new and interesting experience for me.

The author always manages to pull a twist. I was like "OK, now this thing will happen" but it doesn't. Then it happens again, and again :) Nice to read a book I cannot anticipate what will happen much.

%90 now in, and the ending will be the decider, I guess :)
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'