September 28, 2020, 09:07:58 PM

Author Topic: What Sci-Fi book are you currently reading?  (Read 88286 times)

Offline Idlewilder

Re: What Sci-Fi book are you currently reading?
« Reply #180 on: March 13, 2016, 03:13:28 PM »
The Anne Leckie series is fantastic as well. (You have read those surely?)

Nope! I really don't read much (enough) SF. Usually only when I'm really in the mood for it. Probably only once or twice a year. I should really try Ilium out, but I'd rather go for something I actually have on my kindle or bookshelf somewhere, so Player of Games or Ancillary Justice it is.

(Also @Nighteyes I have to recommend a book to you I'm afraid - you need to get yourself a copy of Aurora by Kim Stanley Robinson. It's utterly fantastic and deserves all the awards I'm sure are coming its way...)

You can't go wrong with either of those two. Added Aurora to my wishlist on Amazon. Will try and read some of my already owned books before buying any more!

I actually found my copy of Leviathan Wakes (it had fallen down the back of the chair I read on in our conservatory) so took it as a sign and will finish it at last. About 200 pages in now.

The Expanse series is fun, and I am a signed up fan who has read them all now.  I didn't recommend it though initially as you seemed to be seeking big idea sci fi with the mention of Hyperion.

I definitely was and will read one of the others next. Like I said I just came across LW so thought I may aswell get it read first.
Make Another World.

Offline lolsroyce

« Reply #181 on: April 06, 2016, 12:06:57 AM »
Currently I'm reading Songs of Cosmos Prologue by Filip Majkic. It's a prelude into a huge Space Opera, but it might not suit everyone's taste. It's a mix of space opera, military SciFi and political SciFi in a world that retrograded to a sort of neo-feudalism. No aliens, no techno-babble, it's not that typical, feels more grown. The book is about a nobleman from a distant planet fighting to preserve his domain, but whose ambitions grow in time.

Prologue itself is a short read and I can recommend it to all who enjoy space opera (I saw some inquiries on earlier pages, that actually prompted me to write about this), but I don't know when the rest will come out. In a description on iTunes and Leanpub there is a mentioning of 3 books on top of this one, but none of those are currently available. I got mine at Barnes and Noble digital store.

Offline Mythago

« Reply #182 on: April 06, 2016, 09:24:54 AM »
Just finished I Robot:To Obey by Mickey Zucker Reichert. I really enjoyed it but not as much as the first book in the series. The character of Susan Calvin is fascinating to anyone who likes the Asimov universe, but I did think there was a bit of a diatribe going on against anyone who doesn't have a strictly materialist world view. I have no opinion on the issues this raises, but just thought it bogged the story down a bit at times. Would still give it 4 stars out of 5 for sheer entertainment though.

Offline Nighteyes

• Juicy dwarf/orc erotica to go.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
« Reply #183 on: May 21, 2016, 07:12:12 PM »
Something Coming Through - Paul McAuley. Quite low on the science actually for a quite high Science concept.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Kitvaria Sarene

« Reply #184 on: June 14, 2016, 12:11:03 PM »
Somewhere around the middle of "player of games". Had to pause or - I need something with more action at the moment!

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #185 on: July 07, 2016, 04:35:29 AM »
Finished Three by Jay Posey. A lot of action, but you feel a bit like you're thrown into the deep end. It worked for me, and I liked it, but I didn't connect quite as much as I would have liked. If you like post-apocalyptic, action-packed stories, it's worth a shot.

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Writing Group
  • Auror
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #186 on: August 01, 2016, 04:48:49 PM »
Finished Nemesis Games by James SA Corey. My favorite Expanse novel so far.

Online Rostum

• Strange Turnip Person and He Who Waits
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #187 on: August 07, 2016, 06:45:33 PM »
The water Knife by Paolo Bacigalupi it hasn't grabbed me yet the way his writing normally does.

Offline Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Bookworm first, human second.
« Reply #188 on: August 08, 2016, 01:05:10 AM »
I'm nearing the end of The Dark Forest .  Not quite as good as the first book to start with, but it's really picked up. Can't wait for Death's End.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Writing Group
  • Auror
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #189 on: August 10, 2016, 04:25:25 AM »
Finished Golden Son by Pierce Brown. I didn't like it as much as Red Rising. I'd forgotten quite a bit, and it was a struggle to get back into the story at first. By the end, though, it had me frantically turning pages.

Offline DaveEllis

« Reply #190 on: August 11, 2016, 12:59:31 PM »
Star Wars: Aftermath by Chuck Wendig

I don't think I've read a Star Wars book like it, written in a unique voice that I assume is Wendig's style, it is great to see an author not to conform to a house style.  But I can see why that would put off some fans of the tie in fiction.  It's written in present tense, and very short, terse sentences, which really helps keep the pace quick and me engaged with the action.

Seems to also be based around tertiary characters at the moment rather than the holy trinity of Luke, Han and Leia which is refreshing.  After a few chapters I'm really enjoying it, and will be picking up some more of Wendig's own stuff.

Offline night_wrtr

« Reply #191 on: August 11, 2016, 02:11:10 PM »
I enjoyed Aftermath, and loved the sequel, Life Debt.

Offline Kitvaria Sarene

« Reply #192 on: August 11, 2016, 10:24:46 PM »
Just started "the long way to a small angry planet". I'm about 1/3 in and I ADORE it! Had to rave about it in the ff facebook group already...
It is amazing!

Offline Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Bookworm first, human second.
« Reply #193 on: August 13, 2016, 11:51:33 PM »
About to start Old Man's War by John Scalzi. Heard a lot of varying opinions about this one. Hopefully it can improve on the past few books I've read.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #194 on: August 14, 2016, 01:14:36 AM »
Star Wars: Aftermath by Chuck Wendig

I don't think I've read a Star Wars book like it, written in a unique voice that I assume is Wendig's style, it is great to see an author not to conform to a house style.  But I can see why that would put off some fans of the tie in fiction.  It's written in present tense, and very short, terse sentences, which really helps keep the pace quick and me engaged with the action.

Seems to also be based around tertiary characters at the moment rather than the holy trinity of Luke, Han and Leia which is refreshing.  After a few chapters I'm really enjoying it, and will be picking up some more of Wendig's own stuff.
The style is very Chuck Wendig. A lot of readers seemed to struggle with it, but I was familiar with his style, so don't have an issue. The sequel Life Debt is also quite good, and continues the story begun in Aftermath. I do like seeing what happened elsewhere in the galaxy just after the rebels brought the Empire down.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com