September 30, 2020, 12:21:38 AM

Author Topic: What do you think of Self-Published books?  (Read 7317 times)

Offline YordanZh

Re: What do you think of Self-Published books?
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2015, 08:09:27 PM »
So what do Bulgarians use?

Very few people here read e-books and 95% of those that do pirate them as Rostum said, yes. Ebooks are very hard to sell here, mainly because their prices here are almost as high as those of paper books, so folks just pirate. As for an alternative to Goodreads - there's a bunch of quite huge (for our standards) Fb groups, but that's all. Some people use GR, of course, but even "bestselling" Bg books rarely reach 3 digits when it comes to GR ratings.

Anyway, sorry, I didn't mean to derail the topic. :)

Offline JamesLatimer

« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2015, 10:43:53 AM »
But that's not really going to cut it. You're not competing with the worst of trad-pubbed fiction, but the best. I already own unread books by Brandon Sanderson, Mark Lawrence, Gene Wolfe, Neil Gaiman, Robin Hobb, Terry Pratchett and many others, without even straying outside the fantasy genre, which is less than 50% of my reading as it is. Why would I choose to read an indie fantasy ahead of those? It's going to have to have something very appealing about it to get past that.
This is true, and I've got a huge pile of books by traditionally published authors, old and new, to get through...but the book still has to appeal to me, not just the name on the cover, so if an indie/SP author comes up with an idea that appeals to me and executes it well, then they've got a chance - IF I can find it. (The problem is, as your post said, that they are often generic, and there are tons of generic fantasies by professional authors that I haven't read yet, so...)

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2015, 01:18:30 PM »
I guess the other thing that will actually get me to read them is if I do borrow them from the Kindle Owners' Lending Library. I'll have a deadline, then. You only get one loan a month, and I'll have to read it in time to make use of the next month's loan.

Offline Matamelcan

« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2015, 05:10:52 AM »
I personally think it can reveal many gems among the general crap that floats among it.
'The Farting Zombie' was one such horrific title I stumbled across.

Never again... Never again...
"Deep within the dark embrace of the forest, under massive boughs and a roof of intertwined limbs, several elves bowed their heads, lips moving silently in prayer, the raging storm lost to them in the tranquility of their faith."

Offline ClintACK

« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2015, 05:39:48 PM »
I personally think it can reveal many gems among the general crap that floats among it.

Must resist the urge to go to Amazon and look for 'The Farting Zombie'.

Must resist.

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2015, 06:03:01 PM »

Must resist the urge to go to Amazon and look for 'The Farting Zombie'.

Must resist.

If you enjoyed Farting zombie this books might interest you
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Mr.J

• Anus Dracula formerly known as Arse Demon and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Tweedy impertinence
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2015, 06:18:05 PM »
The Phantom Fart, The Burping Zombie, Dawn of the Dehydrated Dead, The Phantom Squeaker

Can't help but think The Farting Zombie is fiction written by Tina Belcher

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2020, 07:53:22 AM »
Have your views of self published books changed over time?

Do you think there‚Äôs more gems out there now waiting to be read or is still full of farting zombie books 😀
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2020, 08:11:42 AM »
Since I don't read ebooks, I think my options are extremely limited regarding self-published.
I tend to only read them from people I know/heavily recommended - such as from regular forum people or something.

But given so many thousands are self-published, I think it's a case of BOTH gems AND farting zombie books ;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline isos81

« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2020, 08:32:58 AM »
I've read some fantastic self-published books recently, including @Justan Henner's Death's Merchant. Some others were SPFBO finalists.

I also know that there are time wasting books too, so I'm being picky when choosing what to read next. :)
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline Lu Kudzoza

« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2020, 04:36:23 PM »
I subscribe to Kindle Unlimited so I read a lot of self published books. For me, it's hit and miss. When I'm looking for a new series I browse the top 100 in epic fantasy, military fantasy, etc. then read a bit of the look inside to see if I like the writing style. I'd estimate about 25% of them are not to my taste (what I consider poor writing). Of the books I download I probably DNF 20%. This is usually because the author is good at writing, but not story telling.

I find the same thing in traditionally published books too, but not in as high a number. But, this is probably because the trade published books I read come from recommendations from friends or from forums and FB groups.

Offline Bender

« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2020, 06:02:54 PM »
SPFBO goes a long way in highlighting the best ones. Not just the winner, but even many semi or quarter finalists are great read.

For me, publishing aspect makes no difference. Self or pro, the book matters.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2020, 04:50:10 AM »
I'm not even sure if I've ever read a self-published book, hahah. I just read what the people here or on the facebook site recommends, and if there's a self-published one it's probably associated with the SPFBO.

Offline Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Bookworm first, human second.
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2020, 07:29:17 PM »
I'm still in the same boat as before where I don't read self-published authors. I'm sure there are good ones out there, but it's not worth churning through the thousands to find them. Not reading ebooks, it's difficult to justify taking risks on authors who don't have the backing of publishers or bookshops.

The exception here is that an increasing number of authors I enjoy self-publish shorter installments in between books of series. Bradley Beaulieu and Christopher Ruocchio are both traditionally published authors who do this, and I do by their self-published works because they are of a proven quality.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex