September 29, 2020, 10:21:10 PM

Author Topic: What did you read in September 2017  (Read 2438 times)

Online Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Bookworm first, human second.
Re: What did you read in September 2017
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2017, 12:03:52 PM »
Most of what I read in September was SF, largely Asimov and Dune, but I squeezed in a few fantasy books around the edges.

Beyond Redemption - 4/5  Very, very bleak, and occasionally quite dry in its delivery, but one of the most original magic systems I've read in a while.

Blackwing - 3/5  Started strongly, but lost me towards the end. Similar to Godblind earlier in the year, I found it lacked charm and humour.

First Watch - 4/5  Fun and frantic buddy cop adventure ina high fantasy setting. very much recommended.

Looking over the Grimdark books I've been reading this year, I've found the same problem coming up again and again. A lot of the gallows humour you'd find in First Law or Broken Empire just doesn't seem to be there anymore. Now I like excessive gore as much as the next man, but it's starting to get a bit repetitive.
Hopefully things improve this month.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline Delaney

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2017, 08:39:53 AM »
Listened to City of Blades by Robert Jackson Bennet.
For me it was good but not great. It seamed to lack a bit of the wonder and worldbuilding that City of Stairs had. The character of Muligesh was great again but the lack of suspense struggled to keep me engaged at times. It also didn't help that this was voiced by a different narrator from the first book which took some time getting used to. Will read City of Miracles when it becomes available on Audible 4/5

Read The Arm of the Sphinx by Josiah Bancroft. I actually feel almost the same about this as City of Blades. Enjoyable story, great prose and continued character development but slower paced, fewer plot twists and lighter on the worldbuilding. Still a fun read.4/5

Listened to Red Rising by Pierce Brown. Loved it! By far my best audio book experience. Similar to Ender's Game/Battle Royal/Hunger Games so nothing really original but in my opinion Brown does everything right. Brilliantly narrated by Tim Gerard Reynolds, felt like it was meant to be listened to. Already halfway through Golden Son. 5/5

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2017, 10:24:03 AM »
Read The Arm of the Sphinx by Josiah Bancroft. I actually feel almost the same about this as City of Blades. Enjoyable story, great prose and continued character development but slower paced, fewer plot twists and lighter on the worldbuilding. Still a fun read.4/5
Oh, I tried to buy this one after reading Senlin ascends, but it was cancelled (or rather, it was sent and never arrived, and the seller just said they didn't have any more and refunded the money...) and now it's not available anymore, just waiting for the Orbit publishing. I didn't like it enough to get a completely different edition in my collection hehe, so I think I'll just read it from the library.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Delaney

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2017, 11:03:20 AM »
Oh, I tried to buy this one after reading Senlin ascends, but it was cancelled (or rather, it was sent and never arrived, and the seller just said they didn't have any more and refunded the money...) and now it's not available anymore, just waiting for the Orbit publishing. I didn't like it enough to get a completely different edition in my collection hehe, so I think I'll just read it from the library.

That's a shame :(
I picked up both books on my Kindle for just a couple of dollars each but come to think of it, I've never seen a hard copy anywhere. Hope you enjoy it...

Offline Steven McKinnon

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2017, 12:52:05 PM »
I read the Guns of Ivrea by Clifford Beal -- decent enough but didn't set my world on fire -- and The Iron Jackal by Chris Wooding (really enjoying Tales of the Ketty Jay, just started book 4 over the weekend).

This month I'm going to start Mark Lawrence's books, got Prince of Thorns to get stuck into  :)
Author of Symphony of the Wind and The Fury Yet To Come

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2017, 02:00:40 PM »
and The Iron Jackal by Chris Wooding (really enjoying Tales of the Ketty Jay, just started book 4 over the weekend).

This month I'm going to start Mark Lawrence's books, got Prince of Thorns to get stuck into  :)
Ooooh you're in for a treat ;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Steven McKinnon

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2017, 12:44:51 PM »
Ooooh you're in for a treat ;D

Here's hoping!
Author of Symphony of the Wind and The Fury Yet To Come

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2017, 09:46:12 PM »
Most of what I read in September was SF, largely Asimov and Dune, but I squeezed in a few fantasy books around the edges.

Beyond Redemption - 4/5  Very, very bleak, and occasionally quite dry in its delivery, but one of the most original magic systems I've read in a while.

Blackwing - 3/5  Started strongly, but lost me towards the end. Similar to Godblind earlier in the year, I found it lacked charm and humour.

First Watch - 4/5  Fun and frantic buddy cop adventure ina high fantasy setting. very much recommended.

Looking over the Grimdark books I've been reading this year, I've found the same problem coming up again and again. A lot of the gallows humour you'd find in First Law or Broken Empire just doesn't seem to be there anymore. Now I like excessive gore as much as the next man, but it's starting to get a bit repetitive.
Hopefully things improve this month.
First Law was fun, almost like Lethal Weapon (more the TV show than the film franchise), but set in a generic fantasy setting. A sequel is due out in the not too distant future.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com