September 29, 2020, 09:21:02 PM

Author Topic: r/Fantasy Bingo 2017  (Read 3237 times)

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • Lanko's Goodreads
Re: r/Fantasy Bingo 2017
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2017, 02:22:53 PM »
I remember 1-2 years ago when I read Perdido Street Station and the book was picked on a Steampunk theme. It's actually much more famous as a Steampunk book than Weird, but I think it actually fills both...

I'm fine on New Weird, though. I read Annihiliation by Jeff VanderMeer and loved it. I read it before the new bingo even came out, but that's fine because I still have to read the sequels.
You could also try that, it's pretty short (~200 pages) and very, very weird and also intriguing.

The Time Machine by H.G. Wells totally fits Steampunk, as it was published in ~1890 and used plenty of "steam tech", if I'm not mistaken. It looks like His Dark Materials, Ketty Jay, Aeronaut's Windlass and a few others I have in my TBR enter the list if I don't go for Time Machine, since there's also a Time Travel square already.

As for Fantasy of Manners, the first thing that came to mind when seeing that was something like Pride and Prejudice. I researched and found out that some books that I want to read are actually there: Temeraire, by Novik, Goblin Emperor and even A Natural History of Dragons. Might go for one of these.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2017, 05:24:48 PM »
I remember 1-2 years ago when I read Perdido Street Station and the book was picked on a Steampunk theme. It's actually much more famous as a Steampunk book than Weird, but I think it actually fills both...

I'm fine on New Weird, though. I read Annihiliation by Jeff VanderMeer and loved it. I read it before the new bingo even came out, but that's fine because I still have to read the sequels.
You could also try that, it's pretty short (~200 pages) and very, very weird and also intriguing.
See, that's one of the things that makes me think my idea of the sub-genre is not the same as anyone else's. I have read Annihilation, and in fact was kind of hoping to read the third book, Acceptance, this year, but I'm not sure I'd call it New Weird. I might even want to count it for Horror. To me, New Weird is still basically regular fantasy, but with a twist. I don't really know why I think that.

The Time Machine by H.G. Wells totally fits Steampunk, as it was published in ~1890 and used plenty of "steam tech", if I'm not mistaken. It looks like His Dark Materials, Ketty Jay, Aeronaut's Windlass and a few others I have in my TBR enter the list if I don't go for Time Machine, since there's also a Time Travel square already.
I read The Time Machine fairly recently. It's really short - a novella in today's money - and I'd say it would also work for Dying Earth.

Personally, I don't think I would count the Victorian originals as steampunk. To me, steampunk is the revival; the imitators. Verne and Wells are the real deal, not the copy. (Modern sequels to Wells are fair game, though.)

I am wholly prepared to sacrifice my principles to pragmatism if necessary. Wells has the big advantage of being out of copyright, which none of the modern steampunks will have.

As for Fantasy of Manners, the first thing that came to mind when seeing that was something like Pride and Prejudice. I researched and found out that some books that I want to read are actually there: Temeraire, by Novik, Goblin Emperor and even A Natural History of Dragons. Might go for one of these.
I actually really like most Fantasy of Manners that I've read (Tooth and Claw, Soulless, Shades of Milk and Honey), the problem is that there doesn't seem to be a whole lot more of it. It seems a fairly narrow field.

Offline Lanko

• Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2017, 05:37:25 PM »

See, that's one of the things that makes me think my idea of the sub-genre is not the same as anyone else's. I have read Annihilation, and in fact was kind of hoping to read the third book, Acceptance, this year, but I'm not sure I'd call it New Weird. I might even want to count it for Horror. To me, New Weird is still basically regular fantasy, but with a twist. I don't really know why I think that.

That's what a lot of the press and the author himself called it. But I agree it does have a vibe for Science Fiction with Horror. But it also doesn't feel like regular Sci/Fi or Horror, like you said, has a lot of twists, probably what influenced its classification.

I read The Time Machine fairly recently. It's really short - a novella in today's money - and I'd say it would also work for Dying Earth.

Personally, I don't think I would count the Victorian originals as steampunk. To me, steampunk is the revival; the imitators. Verne and Wells are the real deal, not the copy. (Modern sequels to Wells are fair game, though.)

I am wholly prepared to sacrifice my principles to pragmatism if necessary. Wells has the big advantage of being out of copyright, which none of the modern steampunks will have.

Interesting approach. Steampunk at least has been around far longer than New Weird, so it's actually easier to find stuff for it.

I actually really like most Fantasy of Manners that I've read (Tooth and Claw, Soulless, Shades of Milk and Honey), the problem is that there doesn't seem to be a whole lot more of it. It seems a fairly narrow field.

I think it's more about worldbuilding, not on the broader aspect of a world, but on the customs, societal norms and behavior on daily routine. Temeraire is set on Napoleonic Wars, so the norms of that period will heavily influence the story. And as Goblin Emperor shows, it doesn't need to be Historical, even if it's totally made up it's about social behavior/norms.

When you consider that it may not be that hard to find stuff for it, I just never knew anyone that put this aspect above all others in a story, specially in Fantasy/Sci-Fi.

Offline Lanko

• Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2017, 11:40:26 PM »
First square done!  ::)

Offline Nighteyes

• Juicy dwarf/orc erotica to go.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2017, 04:19:11 PM »
Would Jonathan Strange, Temeraire, Marie Brennan Ladies drawing dragons books and the Mark Hodder books be comedy of manners fantasy?
The Real Powers That Be

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2017, 08:31:06 PM »
I don't know the Mark Hodder books. I think you could at least make a case for the others. There's maybe too much action and too little Society in some of them, but it would be harsh to reject them.

Offline Lanko

• Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2017, 09:30:09 PM »
Would Jonathan Strange, Temeraire, Marie Brennan Ladies drawing dragons books and the Mark Hodder books be comedy of manners fantasy?

Temeraire and Natural History of Dragons are indeed considered Fantasy of Manners too.

Offline Lanko

• Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2017, 10:35:58 AM »
So, Bingo is halfway through (it goes from April to April.. hm, wait that means we actually have 5 months left then...)

Anyway, how's anyone in it doing? I think I know @Arry and @DrNefario (and maybe @Raptori) are in. I'm currently 11/25:

If anyone have suggestions for any square feel free to tell them!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 10:25:15 PM by Lanko »

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2017, 03:43:23 PM »
I've got all but 5 of the squares covered, but sadly no fancy artwork ;) and I'm trying to split my card into sub themes this time so some will definitely need to be replaced.

My five remaining categories:

Non-human Protagonist: I'm possibly going use Grey Bastards, as you did, or maybe Redwall. (Colours is one of my themes, and they both fit, but I might try to go all red.)
Dragons: I keep hoping one will show up in whatever book I read, but so far none have.
New Weird: Seems very hard to pin down. I'm probably going to play it safe with Year of Our War by Steph Swainston.
Seafaring: Don't know. The Red Wolf Conspiracy is an idea I came up with recently to fit my theme, but unlike everything I've mentioned so far, I don't already own that.
Steampunk: Don't know. Maybe the not-really-steampunk Black Lung Captain, or maybe this year's Morningstar winner Steal the Sky, which is another I don't yet own.

This is my current card, as far as I can remember:

Book of the Month: Howl's Moving Castle - Diana Wynn Jones
Graphic Novel: Pretty Deadly - Kelly Sue DeConnick and Emma Rios
Time Travel: Just One Damned Thing After Another - Jodi Taylor (replaces Deserted Cities of the Heart by Lewis Shiner)
Published 2017: Red Sister - Mark Lawrence
Debut: An Ember in the Ashes - Sabaa Tahir

Non-fiction: This is Me, Jack Vance - Jack Vance
TBR for >1 year: Ash - Mary Gentle
Award-winning: The Islanders - Christopher Priest (BSFA and Campbell)
Dystopian: The Fifth Season - NK Jemisin
Underrated: Smiler's Fair - Rebecca Levene

Horror: More Ghost Stories - MR James (to be replaced)
Desert: The Thousand Names - Django Wexler
Anything: Across the Nightingale Floor - Lian Hearn
Self-published: City of Burning Shadows - Barbara J Webb
Non-human:

Sequel: The Dark is Rising - Susan Cooper
AMA: Red Rising - Pierce Brown
Fantasy of Manners: Sorcery and Cecelia - Patricia C Wrede and Caroline Stevermer
Dragons:
New Weird:

Seafaring:
Steampunk:
Short stories: All from The Very Best of Charles de Lint
Author appreciation: The Book of Three - Lloyd Alexander (replacing a CJ Cherryh, which replaced a Roger Zelazny)
Older protagonist: The Falling Woman - Pat Murphy

The themes I'm currently working towards (5 books each) are: Award-winners, Women I've never read before, Colours, Numbers and Birds. I'm really struggling with the last one because the bird-titled books I was expecting to use end up not fitting any squares, so I might swap it out for another theme.