December 14, 2019, 03:49:01 PM

Author Topic: What did you read in November 2019  (Read 332 times)

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
What did you read in November 2019
« on: November 29, 2019, 07:19:54 PM »
Here it is: The what did you read this past month thread.

Come share your list and what you thought of the books you read last month. We're not looking for full out reviews, just a brief couple of sentences that sum up your impressions.

This is also not a contest for who read the most books, I know some of us struggle to find time to read one book a month, and others manage a dozen. That doesn't matter, so don't feel reluctant to post if you have read less books (or way more books) than others. This is all for sharing, and if you read anything, come let us know what it was and what you thought of it.
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
Re: What did you read in November 2019
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2019, 07:30:46 PM »
Chaos Trims My Beard by Brett Herman 4/5
Fantasy Noir, a fun book to read .

A Big Ship at the Edge of the Universe(The Salvagers #1)by Alex White 3/5
An okay space opera. Won't be reading the rest.

The Starless Sea by Erin Morgenstern 4/5
A magical book which lost me a bit towards the end but still enjoyable.

City of Stairs(The Divine Cities #1) by Robert Jackson Bennett 4/5
Got better the further I went into the story, will be reading the rest of the series.

Star Wars: Thrawn (Star Wars: Thrawn #1) by Timothy Zahn 3/5
I liked the story but not enough for me to read the rest. My Star Wars journey is at an end.
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Bender

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2019, 08:19:40 PM »
Here it is: The what did you read this past month thread.

It's still November  8)
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

Offline Bender

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2019, 08:38:13 PM »
Artificial Condition (Murderbot #2)
Rogue Protocol (Murderbot #3)
Exit Strategy (Murderbot #4)

Good light sci-fi read. Interesting protagonist, taut plot and a roller coaster ride all through. Immensely enjoyable.

8/10

Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension #1)
On the Shoulders of Titans (Arcane Ascension #2)

Nice refreshing read. Author provides a veritable training program to readers on magical theory. Plot is not something we've seen and quite novel. A slight drawback is lack of progression to overarching plot and a bit repetitive dungeon clearing segments.

7/10

Forging Divinity (The War of Broken Mirrors, #1)
Defying Destiny (The War of Broken Mirrors, #2)
Stealing Sorcery (The War of Broken Mirrors, #3)

An prequel trilogy from same author as Arcane Ascension set in same world. Writing is a bit raw compared to Arcane Ascension but picks up in 2nd and 3rd books. Brilliant storytelling and full of action and adventure.

7/10

Six Sacred Swords (Weapons and Wielders, #1)

Again by same author and in same world as Arcane Ascension. A light and funny bridge between above two series.

6/10

We Are Legion We Are Bob (Bobiverse, #1)

Refreshing new take on sci-fi where all protagonists are clones of same person. A new take on future of humanity angle and written in a funny yet thoughtful manner. Stretches a bit, even for sci-fi but overall a nice read.

7/10

Currently reading Senlin Ascends.

"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2019, 01:25:27 AM »
Light month for me because I'm... not bogged down, let's say wallowing indulgently and taking my time reading The Warrior Moon by K Arsenault Rivera. More on that next month.

The Gameshouse by Claire North, which is actually a collection of a trilogy of novellas about a secret society where the games and gambles are with lives and time and power. The pacing/structure were not quite that of a novel, thanks to the original structure, but I can forgive and explore a lot for Claire North's magnificent writing - she always does great with details and with humanity and with wonder, whether she's writing as North or as Kate Griffin.

Binti by Nnedi Okorafor, which was just as good as everyone was raving about, even though I'm not that into sci-fi or space opera. For a little novella, it's deeply thought-provoking about culture and experience and view of the universe.

Action at a Distance, book 7 of the Rivers of London comics, which was a Nightingale backstory arc (alas not THAT backstory arc) that was good fun as always.

Offline The Sword in the Tome

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2019, 04:06:59 PM »
Magician: Master, by Raymond E. Fiest (2/5)

The Ruby Knight, by David Eddings (3.5/5)

The Once And Future King, by T.H. White (5/5)   :)

The Saphire Rose, by David Eddings (2/5)

My YouTube fantasy book review channel: The Sword in the Tome

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2019, 08:38:56 AM »
I didn't actually finish any books in November. Between my depression and my work schedule, I just haven't felt like reading.

I've been working on a couple of books, though.

Sufficiently Advanced Magic by Andrew Rowe

Soulsmith by Will Wight

I've enjoyed both. I just haven't felt much like reading in general.

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2019, 09:42:43 PM »
It ended up being a good month for me because I read a lot of shorter books towards the end. Ten books in all. I'm still going to need to read 16 in December if I'm going to get to 100 again, so that's probably not on the cards. Although I expect I'll give it a try.

Nightflyers and Other Stories - George R R Martin - A bunch of his early SF stories. Mostly decent.

The Black Prism (Lightbringer #1) - Brent Weeks - Start of a big series about colour-based magic. Some interesting ideas. Promising.

A Memory Called Empire (Teixcalan #1) - Arkady Martine - SF about an ambassador from a tiny space station in the capital of a huge empire that maybe wants to take them over. Lots of people seem to really love this, but I thought it was merely quite good.

A Traitor in Skyhold (Mage Errant #3) - John Bierce - More from this fun extended magic school series. I'm not sure how far this idea can be stretched without losing its charm.

A Fabulous Creation - David Hepworth - Non-fiction book about the golden age of the LP. A good read.

Shockwave (Star Kingdom #1) - Lindsay Buroker - Space adventure, with pirates and robots and space knights and stuff. OK.

Beauty (Tales from the Kingdoms #3) - Sarah Pinborough - Enjoyable retelling of Sleeping Beauty, with cameos from several other fairy tales.

A Caribbean Mystery (Miss Marple #something) - Agatha Christie - An OK Marple.

The Woman Who Rides Like a Man (Song of the Lioness #3) - Tamora Pierce - Enjoyable, fast-paced tale of desert shenanigans with Tortall's first female knight.

Down Among the Sticks and Bones (Every Heart a Doorway #2) - Seanan McGuire - Novella. Prequel to Every Heart a Doorway, which I can barely remember any details about so the connections were a bit lost on me. OK.

Offline isos81

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2019, 06:26:57 AM »
Only one and a half books this month.

Shadow's Edge (The Night Angel Trilogy: Book 2) by Brent Weeks: 4/5 like the previous

City of Stairs by Robert Jackson Bennett: 40% into the book. Quite interesting. I was not expecting I would enjoy a non-epic-fantasy book this much :)
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2019, 07:59:44 AM »
Last month I read 2 fantasy books.
On average, a normal number of pages (~600) but it was one monster and one baby book ;D

The burning white, Brent Weeks
The last in the 5-book Lightbringer series, I was pleasantly surprised, with my expectations not as high as for the previous books on account of the downer that was book 4. Best things: getting pulled into the action, Kip not being so annoying anymore, great main characters, and of course the magic system; Bad things: the preaching and the rambling and plot padding.

Interesting times, Terry Pratchett
A Rincewind book set in the Counterweight Continent (ie China), it was good to revisit Twoflowers, and I loved the Silver Horde and the Red Army (both!).

And a non-fiction. How to be right, in a world gone wrong by James O'Brien, based on his phone-in radio show. Good lesson: sometimes, when dealing with bigots (on any subject), the best way to reply is with "why?" - asking them to justify their points of view.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline NedMarcus

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2019, 10:06:35 AM »
I reread Daughter of the Empire by Feist/Wurts, amongst other things, but this was the most enjoyable.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2019, 04:25:29 AM »
A little late, but I'm here nevertheless. November was a good month, I read 8 books.

Target Rich Environment by Larry Correia. This was a collection short work by Larry Correia. I thought it would be mostly Monster Hunter International stories with a few Grimnoir Chronicles thrown in. There were only 3 MHI stories with a couple of Grimnoirs. The rest were mostly the action heavy type of things that Correia likes and held little interest for me. The opening story about the trailer park elves from MHI was pure gold.

The Black Hawks by David Wragg. This was a bit Nicholas Eames lite, and it was okay if not outstanding. I'm still not really sure why or how the MC was important to the plot other than as a narrator.

Stoker's Wilde by Steven Hopstaken and Melissa Prusi. I did thoroughly enjoy this improbable pairing of Bram Stoker and Oscar Wilde as reluctant vampire hunters. Told in the form of letters and diary entries this did capture the feel of the characters and the time.

A Darkness at Sethanon by Raymond Feist. Oh dear the suck fairy came hard for this.

Rolling in the Deep and Into the Drowning Deep by Mira Grant. This was my series reread for the Gs. I've read Rolling in the Deep about 4 times now and it's such a great novella. I think it took me all of 3 hours this time. It's that sort of thing that once you start reading you can't stop. The sequel which is novel length took me longer, but it's an excellent tight thriller with a diverse cast that all fit together.

A Orc on the Wild Side by Tom Holt. The title gives a pretty good indication of what the book is like. It tries hard to be Pratchett, but isn't and it has some good ideas and a few genuinely funny moments, but overall just doesn't quite hold together.

Three Dark Crowns by Kendare Blake. This is gothic YA. The idea of triplets, one of whom will become Queen once she murders her siblings is pretty dark stuff, but intriguing. Blake is brutal on her characters, too. This one also had a great twist at the end, which set it up neatly for the sequel.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com