March 20, 2019, 08:04:11 PM

Author Topic: What did you read in November 2018  (Read 943 times)

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
What did you read in November 2018
« on: November 29, 2018, 05:56:06 PM »
Here it is: The what did you read this past month thread.

Come share your list and what you thought of the books you read last month. We're not looking for full out reviews, just a brief couple of sentences that sum up your impressions.

This is also not a contest for who read the most books, I know some of us struggle to find time to read one book a month, and others manage a dozen. That doesn't matter, so don't feel reluctant to post if you have read less books (or way more books) than others. This is all for sharing, and if you read anything, come let us know what it was and what you thought of it.
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Eclipse

• Dragonrider
    • View Profile
Re: What did you read in November 2018
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2018, 06:04:22 PM »
Six Books again this month.

The Aeronaut's Windlass (The Cinder Spires #1) by Jim Butcher 3/5

I found it okay, will read the next one

The Pagan Night (The Hallowed War #1) by Tim Akers 4/5

The Iron Hound (The Hallowed War #2) by Tim Akers 4/5

The Winter Vow (The Hallowed War #3) by Tim Akers 4/5

Enjoyable trilogy of North verse South conflict with demons and pagans

Gifts from the Dark: A Miscellany of Dread  4/5

More for horror fans, Bradley's story was the best  ;D

Destiny's Conflict (Wars of Light and Shadow #10) by Janny Wurts 5/5

I really liked the ending of this novel, one more book to go to finish series!

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Offline Skip

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2018, 06:18:26 PM »
The Chill, Ross MacDonald
In Calabria, Peter Beagle
Started but did not finish several.
Visit Altearth

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 06:11:21 PM »
This was a busy month for me!

Early riser, Jasper Fforde - 5/5
Super imaginative, it tells of a world where people hibernate because winters are super harsh: only a few people remain awake to maintain life, and our hero is a brand new such worker. Mystery and drama, I really enjoyed it.

Under the pendulum sun, Jeanette Ng - 3/5
Victorian writing, visiting the land of the Fae as a missionary. Lots of theology and magic, along the lines of "Jonathan Strange aMN", it didn't really hit me.

Here be dragons, David P. Macpherson - 5/5
Super book, very funny, very ironic, great adventure with basically zero battles and violence. Very relateable characters, I want to get together in a café and chat!

La belle sauvage, Philip Pullman - 4/5
Book of Dust, book 1
Back in the world of His Dark Materials series, this is a prequel, Lyra is a baby. Magic and thoughtful at the same time, and a superb intro to the genre to young people, it feels 'younger' than the original series did.

And I browsed quickly through a book written by a nurse about events in a working life, I was expecting it to be more interesting, and finally finished Stephen Fry's Mythos, a very interesting book retelling greek myths - it'll remain as reference.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 06:12:56 PM by ScarletBea »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline nettletea

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 10:36:17 PM »
(I don't see quite the same sort of thread on the sci-fi board, and I'm new around here, so I'll risk this.. :))

(Also, I am not going to be able to match such prolificity.. (I know! It's a real word!) :D)

Children of Time, Adrian Tchaicovsky - 3/5

A wonderful account of an alien species, and society, evolving on a lush terraformed planet - with a less remarkable cast of humans arguing amongst themselves in space. Read it if you liked the spiders in Vinge's A Deepness in the Sky, but found his science a bit too hard for your tastes. (I prefer A Deepness..)

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2018, 01:34:52 AM »
Couldn't quite hit the heights of November, but still read 8 and one of them became my 100th for the year, so I managed to hit that reading goal.

Here we go:

Wildcard by Marie Lu, this was actually the sequel to Warcross which I read way back in January, it was in fact my first book for the year. I preferred the first one, but this was a decent enough YA SF thriller and rounded out the duology nicely.

The War in the Dark by Nick Setchfield, good book, creepy as all get out, but a really solid horror crossed with Cold War spy book. Think of Steven King meets John Le Carre.

The Dragon Lords: Bad Faith by Jon Hollins, the 3rd and final book in Jon Hollins' Dragon Lords trilogy. They've all been over the top, but this one dialled it up to 11. His chapter headings are highlights and he regularly winks and nods at the genre and pushes at without breaking the 4th wall. Glad I took a chance on the first one a few years back.

The Spirit Rebellion by Rachel Aaron (fanfare! this was book 100 for 2018), the second of Aaron's Eli Monpress books. It is very cool and I think the most standalone of the series. Her idea of spirits and what they inhabit and how magic works is close to unique and well explained. This series doesn't get the love it should.

The Stars Now Unclaimed by Drew Williams. Holy shit! This is why it's a good idea for me not to do my best of the year list until the end of the year, because this one would have missed out and that would be a shame, because it was Awesome. Becky Chambers' promotional blurb on the front said it best: 'Come for the exploding spaceships, stay for the intriguing universe.'

Witchmark by C. L. Polk, my wife (Lejays17) quite liked this. I didn't as much, maybe because it followed The Stars Now Unclaimed. I found it kind of slow and hard to get into. I didn't connect with the characters and thought the world it moved in was kind of shallow and not all that well put together. It does however have a great cover.

The Spirit Eater by Rachel Aaron, Eli and his crew continue. It gets a little...actually a lot darker in this one, and that sets the stage for the 2 final volumes. Enjoyable, but not as much fun as the first 2.

Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond, this is non fiction, as many on this board know. I'd been meaning to read it for years and finally got around to it. I found it interesting, but not life changing as some other readers have.

I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Eclipse

• Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2018, 06:37:44 AM »
(I don't see quite the same sort of thread on the sci-fi board, and I'm new around here, so I'll risk this.. :))

(Also, I am not going to be able to match such prolificity.. (I know! It's a real word!) :D)

Children of Time, Adrian Tchaicovsky - 3/5

@nettletea , How very dare you! 😊

Feel free to add all genre of books I allow all . I want to know what everyone reading at this moment of time

Will it be Fantasy,sci-fi,Horror or even erotic fiction.

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2018, 08:32:25 AM »
(I don't see quite the same sort of thread on the sci-fi board, and I'm new around here, so I'll risk this.. :) )
This thread (and board) is for everything SFF, so you're in the right place!

Oh don't worry about it! There is everything here between zero (those who don't post, I'm looking at you @ArcaneArtsVelho) and a whole lot of books, and we love them all :D

And sometimes we should count pages instead of books ;) (one book with 900 pages vs 3 with 300, right?)

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Eclipse

• Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2018, 09:20:11 AM »
I’ve read about 38,000 pages , I’m a bit down from last year.

Do you think I would like Here be Dragons ? It keep getting compared to TP but I’m not a fan of TP ( shocking) it’s putting me off.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 09:22:20 AM by Eclipse »

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2018, 11:40:21 AM »
Do you think I would like Here be Dragons ? It keep getting compared to TP but I’m not a fan of TP ( shocking) it’s putting me off.
Hmmm I'm scared of saying so, but if you like funny then yes, you should read it :)
(if you end up not liking it, ask @OnlyOneHighlander for your money back ;) )

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2018, 12:23:03 PM »
Eight books read for me, quite a few of them multi-tasked because I spent most of the month reading one massive long book. More importantly, though, only six books acquired, and none of them purchases (in fact four were out-of-copyright books I probably didn't need to download now.) Not a huge amount of fantasy in my list this month, though.

Nightmare Keep - Phil Tucker - Second book in the Euphoria Online trilogy. Very enjoyable. I've just started the third one.

The Undoing Project - Michael Lewis - Non-fiction. In many ways a follow-up to his Moneyball (which I've seen but not read), this is about the two Israeli psychologists who pioneered the research into why people make irrational decisions.

A Gentleman's Game - Greg Rucka - The first of several prose novel spin-offs from Rucka's Queen & Country spy comics. I enjoyed it.

Crucible of Gold - Naomi Novik - After a few years off, I finally returned to the Temeraire series, and very enjoyable it was, too.

Segue: Into the Strange - Keith Brooke - Another strong collection from Brooke.

Ocean: The History - Chris Wilkins & Roger M Kean - UK videogaming history. Interesting and entertaining.

A Pocket Full of Rye - Agatha Christie - Reasonably good Marple.

Judas Unchained - Peter F Hamilton - Mammoth second half of the Commonwealth Saga. Enjoyable. Maybe the longest single volume I've ever read? I didn't really expect to finish it in time for the end of the month.

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2018, 10:39:54 PM »
I've been reading Naomi Novik's Spinning Silver all month, and I'm enjoying it tremendously.

My book-reading has slowed down hugely in the past couple months, because I'm reading a metric asston of fanfic instead. Oh welp.

Offline Peat

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2018, 09:44:54 AM »

The Spirit Rebellion by Rachel Aaron (fanfare! this was book 100 for 2018), the second of Aaron's Eli Monpress books. It is very cool and I think the most standalone of the series. Her idea of spirits and what they inhabit and how magic works is close to unique and well explained. This series doesn't get the love it should.

Full on animism is surprisingly rare in fantasy now you mention it - I wish I liked her writing style more.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline ArcaneArtsVelho

• Secretly I'm laughing about jurassic raccoon testicles. And a Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Only partially responsible for my custom title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2018, 11:52:00 AM »
...I'm looking at you ArcaneArtsVelho...
Oi! I can't manage to read more than one book a year.  ;) ;D

I haven't got a book to read for this year yet, so I may end up breaking my streak.  :-[
Everything I wrote above is pure conjecture. I don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm a perfectionist but not very good at anything. That's why I rarely finish things.

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2018, 12:01:30 AM »
- The Epic of Gilgamesh by some unknown author. 2/5
I know it's an important work, for all the "hero journey" it originated and etc, but it's really just much better to read about it than to actually read it.

- Frankenstein by Mary Shelley. 5/5
Really surprising. Even the parts that showed their age didn't really bother me. I think it even made 100 years this year?

- I, Robot by Isaac Asimov. 2/5
I thought this was a novel, but this one is actually a collection of short stories. Only the first one was really interesting.

- Coraline by Neil Gaiman. 4/5
Gaiman writes so well with child characters and adding creepy/unusual situations they go through.

- Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. 5/5
Really surprised me and definitely will be in my top 10 of the year.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2018