December 08, 2019, 03:19:13 PM

Author Topic: This open letter on the main site  (Read 2160 times)

Offline Peat

Re: This open letter on the main site
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2019, 08:21:51 PM »
I believe part of the reason that there's been so few details about what's happening is that people do know who is behind it and they don't wish for anything to happen that would prejudice the coming law suit.

Yep, I sort of inferred that after doing the research. Still, a sentence would have done the trick. We aren't providing any details because there may be a law suit or other prosecution, but if you want to see more background, look here and here. Something like that. I also recognize that the missive may have been written in a high emotional state, and the finer points of rhetoric wouldn't have seemed all that important. I don't mean to criticize, only to explain my own reaction, wondering if others reacted similarly.

Ah yes - and indeed that sentence was in statements by the two book bloggers who initially raised the allegations they'd heard. I'd probably have been as nonplussed as you if that'd been my first introduction to the story.

I also believe they've stated that they don't want to give the individual/s any more publicity and recognition than they've already been given. I believe you could probably work out at least one person with a wee bit of research based on what's been said but, personally, I agree with not wanting to publicise it.

I think I'm gonna buy McDonald's first book as a birthday present to myself. Seemed a nice chap when I met him.

Just like Bea seemed a very nice meat eating robot. Robot I says!

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2019, 09:39:56 PM »
I didn't get the whole picture but I know that one of the r/fantasy mods was highly involved in the slander which means that the r/fantasy-subreddit with it's 500k subscribers was compromised and subsequently shook at its core. That person has since deleted their account but I can picture what that does to a community.

We're much, much smaller of course, but imagine one of our mods or regulars would provide lots of evidence about the bad behavior of an author, would present victims and would make it all look incredibly plausible. And we later found out that it was all fabricated with malicious intend... 

It was/is a horrible experience for Ed, no question, I'm glad he is (dare I say it?) exonerated. But I think the relatively small and tight-knit fantasy community (not only reddit) is hurt as well and I'm glad that blogs all over the world wide web post letters like the one from Geoff, that we're able to admit and talk about mistakes and, hopefully, learn from them.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2019, 03:23:06 PM »
I think I'm gonna buy McDonald's first book as a birthday present to myself. Seemed a nice chap when I met him.
I just did!
Bought it for myself, I mean.
And when's your birthday, @Peat? You're not on the list!

8)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Peat

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2019, 10:41:27 AM »
I just did!
Bought it for myself, I mean.
And when's your birthday, @Peat? You're not on the list!

8)

In just over 13 hours.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2019, 10:04:52 AM »

I read that the thought you were getting McDonald's hahah. (I'm hungry lol) ;D

As for the issue at hand, all the best luck to Mr. Mcdonald through this calamity! I've heard a lot about his book as of late, I think I'll have to get my hands on a copy of it soon (once my TBR list dwindled somewhat, haha).

Offline Rostum

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2019, 04:55:17 PM »
So Ed was publicly vilified by multiple (fictional) sources and various influencers within the SFF became involved as did his publisher. Potentially career ending stuff and I am not just talking about his writing. meanwhile there is speculation within the community as to the nature of the allegations.
Luckily evidence was found to exonerate him or at least cast doubt on the validity of the allegations, and if it hadn’t been?

Offline G_R_Matthews

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2019, 01:16:50 PM »
Hey all,

I hope the letter on the main site made sense - you'd have seen it on other blogs too, at least a similar section  of it - each blog took their own style (mine in our case) to write around it.

Sadly, there is necessity of vagueness about some aspects as there are potential law cases and we do not want to interfere or prejudice them. it is natural that people want to know - and if you followed the r/fantasy fall out then you'll know some are quite vociferous in their desire - though they were also subject to an invasion from and InCel group who went after some people - horrible situation.

Every blog was presented with a lot of evidence and a statement. I feel sorry for everyone involved - it has only hurt people.
Staff Writer and ponderer of many things @ fantasy-faction

The Stone Road (4/5* Bookwormblues.net) : myBook.to/thestoneroad
Silent City : myBook.to/silentcity

www.grmatthews.com

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2019, 05:09:56 PM »
I've been told again and again that an indie author needs to be heavily involved online. Shit like this is one of the reasons I'm not.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline Skip

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2019, 04:24:27 AM »
I've been told again and again that an indie author needs to be heavily involved online. Shit like this is one of the reasons I'm not.

But isn't this online? This forum here? And Fantasy Faction also has a Facebook group. There are limits, and we all find our own. As the forum philosopher once said, moderators in all things. :)

Online Bender

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2019, 03:24:33 AM »
One of the problems with social media is that it's easy to gather a group with virtual pitchforks. Many are easy to be convinced of or take offense themselves without taking time to look for authentic sources or try to get additional proof. Internet is judge, jury and executioner all within span of days if not hours.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot