December 12, 2019, 04:00:34 AM

Author Topic: What did you read in March 2019  (Read 849 times)

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
What did you read in March 2019
« on: April 02, 2019, 12:14:57 PM »
Here it is: The what did you read this past month thread.

Come share your list and what you thought of the books you read last month. We're not looking for full out reviews, just a brief couple of sentences that sum up your impressions.

This is also not a contest for who read the most books, I know some of us struggle to find time to read one book a month, and others manage a dozen. That doesn't matter, so don't feel reluctant to post if you have read less books (or way more books) than others. This is all for sharing, and if you read anything, come let us know what it was and what you thought of it.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline DrNefario

Re: What did you read in March 2019
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2019, 01:13:26 PM »
A tricky month for me, due to a lot of acquisitions (mainly freebies). I only managed to stay ahead of the game by deleting 10 old freebies unread, which feels a little bit like cheating. Eight books read in the end.

- Europe at Dawn (Fractured Europe #4) - Dave Hutchinson - Great conclusion to an excellent and bonkers series, although I have to say I thought #3 was the end at the time.

- Blackwing (Raven's Mark #1) - Ed McDonald - It turned out to be quite topical, but I read this before it all kicked off because it was a Morningstar nominee and I'm trying to read everything that has ever been nominated. I liked it. It was something a bit different. I put the sequel on my wishlist.

- Agent of Change (Liaden #1) - Sharon Lee & Steve Miller - This is the first (published) in a popular SF series. I wasn't all that impressed, which is a bit of a shame because I have several more books in the series.

- Sowing (Purification Era #1) - Angie Grigaliunas - SPFBO finalist, currently at the foot of the leaderboard. I can kind of understand that, I thought the book had some issues, but it did look like it might be going in a more interesting direction towards the end.

- Sole Sacrifice (Kinshield Saga prequel) - K C May - A quick novella I read just to get my numbers up. The first Kinshield book might be the first self-published fantasy book I ever read. I can't remember much about it, but I did pick up the sequel. And then never read it.

- 4.50 from Paddington - Agatha Christie - Fairly decent Marple.

- Level Up - Craig Anderson - Enjoyable light LitRPG where game logic spills over into the real world. (There is an explanation for that, but I won't spoil it.)

- Esther May Morrow's Buy or Borrow - Robert Appleton - Short collection of stories about a magical shop. This is one of the old freebies I was thinking of deleting, then I saw it was short and thought I might as well just read it. It was so-so.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 06:18:11 AM »
My month had 7 books.

My odyssey through The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher continued with Turn Coat, Changes and Ghost Story all being completed. Those three comprise a bit of a high point for the series. Changes is, in my opinion, one of the best of the whole 15 books in the series thus far, it's a book where urban becomes epic.

I read both of Kate Heartfield's time travel novellas, Alice Payne Arrives and Alice Payne Rides, these are fun, breezy well thought out time travel books that find some lesser known parts of history like disappearance of Arthur of Brittany and the suicide pact between Crown Prince Rudolf of Austria and his mistress.

In an Absent Dream by Seanan McGuire. I don't know how McGuire does it, but the Wayward Children books just keep on getting better and she raised the bar again with this one, it's probably the most standalone of the series so far.

Black Star Renegades by Michael Moreci. A bit of a disappointment, it promised to be a space opera about a Han Soloesque rogue, but Cade Sura came across as a very poor version of the Star Wars smuggler. Kind of confused all around, really.

I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 02:21:27 PM »
This month was quite full, after the slow start to the year reading monster books!

The night circus, Eric Morgenstern
A re-read, this was still a lovely magical stand-alone book.

Red sister, Grey sister, Bound and Holy sister, Mark Lawrence
Re-read book 1, then followed the rest of the trilogy, it was super! I enjoyed book 1 a lot more this time (without the weight of expectations), and the other two books only got better and better.
"Bound" is a short story, call it book 2.5 in the trilogy.

And 2 non-fiction 'psychology' books:
Happy ever after, Paul Dolan, which focus on the 'life narratives' that society normally demands (marriage, children, ambition, wealth, etc) and shows that not everyone is suited for that and is happier without them.
The power of habit, Charles Duhigg, with explanations why habits are formed, and how they can be broken.

At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline nettletea

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2019, 10:25:44 PM »
It's all gone a bit non-fiction for me lately, with Fred and A Girl and Her Dogs being read most recently.

I did read half of Fools Quest but didn't get gripped by it, which I was surprised and disappointed by. The last SFF I read was Startide Rising which I really enjoyed.

Offline IWFerguson

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2019, 02:53:00 AM »
I read Traiter Baru Cormorant and was super impressed. I was compelled and devastated. Intrigued and immersed. Starting Monster as soon as I can.
Belief's Horizon, where every river high enough has its naiad, and every sea worth its salt has its dragon.

Offline Skip

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2019, 05:37:13 AM »
March was a rough month. I got only one book read--The Hod King by Josiah Bancroft. Had a few DNFs. April has been largely an extension of March, but I'm hoping for smoother sailing ahead.
Visit Altearth