August 10, 2020, 09:25:18 AM

Author Topic: What did you read in June 2020?  (Read 269 times)

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
What did you read in June 2020?
« on: July 02, 2020, 03:10:35 PM »
Here it is: The what did you read this past month thread.

Come share your list and what you thought of the books you read last month. We're not looking for full out reviews, just a brief couple of sentences that sum up your impressions.

This is also not a contest for who read the most books, I know some of us struggle to find time to read one book a month, and others manage a dozen. That doesn't matter, so don't feel reluctant to post if you have read less books (or way more books) than others. This is all for sharing, and if you read anything, come let us know what it was and what you thought of it
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline cupiscent

Re: What did you read in June 2020?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2020, 04:44:58 AM »
Call Down The Hawk by Maggie Stiefvater, which fits in an interesting category because it isn't YA, but it's the sequel series to Stiefvater's Raven Cycle which very much was YA. Regardless, Stiefvater's prose is as snappy, canny and sharp-edged as ever, and the book was full of wild ideas. I am particularly fond of the way Stiefvater lets her main characters be wildly, wilfully, and understandably wrong.

Docile by KM Szpara, which was an interesting day-after-tomorrow mild sci-fi exploration of extended capitalism and related power structures, told by way of a lot of gay sex. There are some elements that I feel were underdone, but overall this really didn't flinch from the messy edges of all the things it dug into.

The Obsidian Tower by Melissa Caruso, being a sort of sequel to the trilogy that starts with The Tethered Mage (inasmuch as it's the same world, but some considerable time later). This was a wild political/adventure fantasy much like the first trilogy, that had so much going on that I felt it almost bogged itself in the early middle, but carried on to an amazing finale that really piled on significant character and plot twists. Very much looking forward to more.

I also DNFed a couple of YA fantasies this month. I'm finding a trend in these - which are usually from a few years ago because it takes me a while to work through my TBR list - where there is so much - plot and character and concept and worldbuilding all crammed in together - that there isn't room to really explore any of it, and I get frustrated and actually bored, because I'm not engaging with any of the stuff flying past. But, at risk of hashtagging, not all YA fantasies are like this; I've just started S Jae-Jones's Wintersong and it has been immediately immersive and lush and creepy and wonderful. I have high hopes.

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2020, 01:35:50 PM »
Five books for me in June. I'm about a third down on the last few years, for the first six month, but I don't feel like I've been reading much less. I think I've just been reading longer, slower books.

Shadow Prowler (Chronicles of Siala #1) - Alexey Pehov - Very D&Dish fantasy adventure, with a master thief getting dragged into a job he doesn't want. Looks like it's heading for a dungeon crawl, too. Quite good fun, but I'm not yet sure if I'll continue.

The Labyrinth Makers (Audley #1) - Anthony Price - Cold war crime thriller. So-so.

Battlemage (Age of Darkness #1) - Stephen Aryan - A war story about some battle mages helping to defend a small country against a large invading army. Pretty good.

Nemesis (Marple #something) - Agatha Christie - So-so late Marple.

Battle Mage - Peter A Flannery - A complete epic fantasy in one volume, following some friends as they grow into their powers and take on the demon armies. Enjoyable.

So, three fairly traditional fantasies, separated by a couple of short crime books. The fantasy books are all kind of "standard", but also all quite different. Two were Morningstar nominees, one was self-published.

Offline Skip

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2020, 04:19:47 PM »
In Numina by Assaph Mehr, a very good detective story set in an alternate Rome and absolutely neck-deep in magic. It's the second Felix the Fox novel I've read; both were enjoyable with a solid historical underpinning.

Trustee from the Toolroom by Nevile Shute. This one is often called his best, but I liked it less than several of his other books. But I continue to be astounded by how to constructs stories. They're unlike any other author.

The Riddlemaster by Patricia McKillip. DNF. I didn't care about any of the characters, started on In Numina, and just never returned to McKillip.

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2020, 07:45:43 PM »
With a bit of spill either way of the month, I read 5 books.

RJ Barker's Wounded Kingdom trilogy (Age, Blood and King of assassins)
5/5
I loved this series, read all about it in the special thread I created for it hehe

Books 1 and 2 of Mark Lawrence's Broken Empire trilogy (Prince and King of thorns)
5/5
A re-read from 2014, I was happy to discover that I still love them and that I remembered little enough to make re-reading both a discovery and gather of clarity, knowing what was coming.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Bender

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2020, 09:04:46 PM »
Priest of Bones (War for the Rose Throne, #1) - 6/10
- Peter McLean

Decent low magic read. It's a gang story in fantasy setting. Gritty but didn't compel me enough to pick next one. 

The Rules of Supervillainy (The Supervillainy Saga, #1) - 7/10
The Games of Supervillainy (The Supervillainy Saga, #2) - 7/10
- C.T Phipps

Fun read about a guy who gets superpowers and becomes a villain with good heart. Surrounded by his wife who acts as his mentor and ex-girlfriend who's his 'hench-wench' it is a light fun take on the genre. After 2 books, it kinda felt a bit similar, so taking a break for now.

The Land of the Undying Lord (The Infinite World Book 1)
- J.T Wright

A LitRPG without any in-game/out-game elements that is actually a fun read. Refreshing take and good writing.
Aether's Blessing (Aether's Revival Book 1) - 7/10

God of Gnomes (God Core, #1)
Just brilliant writing. A story about a whining/spoilt god-core who needs to connect with his gnomes and raise their development or die to other rivals. Started off a bit slow but steadily picked up for a great climax. 8/10

Paternus: War of Gods (The Paternus Trilogy, #3)
- Dyrk Ashton

Solid completion to a brilliant trilogy. Amazing how many mythologies and characters author can force into one series. Lots of magic and general all round epic-ness makes this a action packed fun read. 10/10
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline isos81

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2020, 09:15:18 PM »
Here is my June books:
  • Death's Merchant
  • The Black Company #1
  • Her Temas Iz Birakir (Turkish detective book)
  • I, Robot
  • Planet of the Apes
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'