September 30, 2020, 10:48:11 AM

Author Topic: Sequels  (Read 7718 times)

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: Sequels
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2020, 06:19:10 PM »
If I leave it too long I start to forget.
This, oh so much this :'(

So I always try to read a series sequentially - except for Malazan, I could never read the 10 books in one go :o I do 2-3 of them in a row, hehe
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2020, 12:31:26 AM »
How often do you read sequels? Do you read them right after you finish a good book? Since I've started my blog and even slightly before that I've had a rule where I can't just plow through a series like I did with aSoIaF a few years ago. Since it takes quite some time for Gurm to write the books, it would've been nice to keep the characters alive (hehe) in my mind whereas with a series I've finished I slowly forget about them.

Lately I've been thinking about breaking that rule because I have so many sequels that I really want to read.

I don't know whether to start on new series or jump straight to the sequel after finishing a book. If I leave it too long I start to forget.

This, honestly, is part of why I still haven't read A Dance With Dragons or whatever the last actually-published ASoIaF book was called. Every time I considered it, I went, "It's been too long, I'd have to re-read at least the previous book" and the idea of doing that just sapped my will to live, let alone pick up a book.

I like a series where you can read the sequels after a long gap, because it gives you the info you need, but you might get more little detail delights if you binge them. Mostly I read books as and when they come to the top of my to-read list, so it might take a LONG time for book 2 to bubble up after I enjoy book 1 and commit to reading more.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2020, 02:56:30 AM »
How often do you read sequels? Do you read them right after you finish a good book? Since I've started my blog and even slightly before that I've had a rule where I can't just plow through a series like I did with aSoIaF a few years ago. Since it takes quite some time for Gurm to write the books, it would've been nice to keep the characters alive (hehe) in my mind whereas with a series I've finished I slowly forget about them.

Lately I've been thinking about breaking that rule because I have so many sequels that I really want to read.

I don't know whether to start on new series or jump straight to the sequel after finishing a book. If I leave it too long I start to forget.

This, honestly, is part of why I still haven't read A Dance With Dragons or whatever the last actually-published ASoIaF book was called. Every time I considered it, I went, "It's been too long, I'd have to re-read at least the previous book" and the idea of doing that just sapped my will to live, let alone pick up a book.

I like a series where you can read the sequels after a long gap, because it gives you the info you need, but you might get more little detail delights if you binge them. Mostly I read books as and when they come to the top of my to-read list, so it might take a LONG time for book 2 to bubble up after I enjoy book 1 and commit to reading more.
I used to read the previous book before the next one if there'd been a long break between books, sometimes the entire series . Then I got kind of bored and time poor with that, and these days if I do need to bring myself up to speed then I find precis somewhere on the net which usually give me enough detail and jog my memory.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2020, 01:39:16 PM »
I decided that I won't read book 2 when they come out (although I do buy them).
I read book 1 to decide if I like them enough to get the rest. Then buy book 2 but only read it once book 3 is out, and then read them together (potentially having to re-read book 1 to remember...)

At the moment the two series I've got in that situation are Peter Newman's and John Gwynne's latest. I think books 3 have just come out in hardcover, so I'll wait to next year for the paperbacks.
I'll also do the same with Robert Jackson Bennett's Founders trilogy: just read book 1, will buy 2 and wait then for 3...
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2020, 05:45:45 AM »
I really do this at random. If I'm pretty damn sure I'm going to like the series sometimes I'll just wait until all three books are out before reading it. If I've just read book 1 to test the waters and liked it, I'll order book 2 (and if 3 is already available I'll go for it as well). I'm the type of person who's too lazy to reread books just because I couldn't remember what the last book was about, so I'll just delve into the new book right away and figure things out somehow, hahah.