January 20, 2020, 06:58:31 AM

Author Topic: What did you read in July 2019  (Read 609 times)

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
What did you read in July 2019
« on: August 02, 2019, 10:24:08 AM »
Here it is, the what did you read this past month thread.

Come share your list and what you thought of the books you read last month. We're not looking for full out reviews, just a brief couple of sentences that sum up your impressions.

This is also not a contest for who read the most books, I know some of us struggle to find time to read one book a month, and others manage a dozen. That doesn't matter, so don't feel reluctant to post if you have read less books (or way more books) than others. This is all for sharing, and if you read anything, come let us know what it was and what you thought of it.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline isos81

Re: What did you read in July 2019
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2019, 11:25:22 AM »
Thanks to @ScarletBea I'm now registering the books into Library Thing and I do no longer need to try to remember the books I read :)

I finished 5 books last month, total of 1900 pages. Here I go:

1) Magician: Master (The Riftwar Saga, Book 2) by Raymond E. Feist (Male author, 350 pages, 4 stars)
2) Silverthorn (The Riftwar Saga, Book 3) by Raymond E. Feist (Male author, 350 pages, 4 stars)
3) A Darkness at Sethanon (The Riftwar Saga, Book 4)   by Raymond E. Feist   (Male author, 400 pages, 3.5 stars)
4) Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas (Female author, 400 pages, 3 stars)
5) Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas   (Female author, 400 pages, 3 stars)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 11:27:54 AM by isos81 »
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2019, 01:02:07 PM »
No extra-curricular reading for me, this month, just 7 (mostly short) novels, one after the other:

Blade & Rose (Blade and Rose #1) - Miranda Honfleur - Indie romantic fantasy. Pertty long, and quite entertaining, but with some issues defining the power and limits of magic.

Blackcollar (Blackcollar #1) - Timothy Zahn - Zahn's first novel is a tale of guerilla resistance after human space has been conquered by aliens. It was reasonably entertaining but a bit over-the-top.

Poison - Sarah Pinborough - Enjoyable retelling of Snow White. It has added swearing, sex, drinking, etc, but still manages to feel like a fairy tale. I look forward to reading the other two books in the omnibus.

The Pale Horse - Agatha Christie - A reasonably entertaining non-series Christie.

Into the Labyrinth (Mage Errant #1) - John Bierce - Fun tale about magic school misfits.

Freeware (Ware #3) - Rudy Rucker - This was always on my mind for the Cyberpunk bingo square for the reddit fantasy bingo, and is probably one of my longest-standing unread books. In the end I didn't really love it, so maybe I was right to ignore it for 20 years.

Silver on the Tree (Dark is Rising #5) - Susan Cooper - Satisfying conclusion to the Dark is Rising sequence, in much the same vein as the previous books. I didn't love the series like some people do - maybe I've come to it far too late for that - but I'm glad I read it.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2019, 03:44:13 PM »
Last month I read 4 fantasy and 1+bits non-fiction.

Blackwing and Ravencry, Ed McDonald
Books 1 and 2 of the series, I really liked them! Interesting and novel world and settings, great characters (from the start and their development), and super plot, kinda mystery.

Limited wish, Mark Lawrence
Book 2 of his latest trilogy, it continued this sort of urban fantasy/time travelling story set in the 80s. A small-ish book, I love the science of it, too.

Wyntertide, Andrew Caldecott
Book 2 of the series, it was a bit disappointing, it seems he lost steam and the freshness of book 1. I'll read book 3 because I want to know how the story ends, but I won't be in a rush to buy.

Non-fiction:
Why we get the wrong politicians, Isabel Hardman
Super book about UK politics, and how even the people with the best intentions face a wall/steep mountain if they actually want to help society

This is going to hurt, Adam Kay
He used to be a doctor until he gave up due to problems and inability to live properly, this book is part of his diaries. Super funny and serious at the same time, you're left with an even bigger admiration for hospital doctors.

Every word is a bird we teach to sing, Daniel Tammet
I'm still reading this one, it's a collection of short essays about language from this author, who sees numbers and words in colour, shape and size. I'd really enjoyed his first book, so when I noticed this one at the library, I brought it home - some of the stories make me think of (our) Eli :)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2019, 01:10:26 AM »
I had a great reading month in July. So many fantastic books.

Amnesty by Lara Elena Donnelly, being the third of the Amberlough books, and an absolutely cracking conclusion to the trilogy. Both unflinching about the flaws and bad decisions of the characters, and very, very satisfying in its conclusions, and I was so happy with it.

The Guns of Empire by Django Wexler, the fourth book in the Shadow Campaigns series, and I continue to be amused about how this series revolves around two key concepts that I'm not really into--military fantasy, and superpowers--and yet I really enjoy it. Wexler consistently does great faceted characters, and I think that feeds into the great political underpinnings of his military action. It's all about people, not might, and that makes all the difference.

Silver in the Wood by Emily Tesh, a tor.com novella Green-Man fantasy-of-manners gothic delight. Very foresty, all dappled leafy light and yet twisting, ruthless roots. Fairytale-y in that eldritch sort of way.

All Systems Red by Martha Wells, being the first Murderbot novella, and I see why everyone's been shouting about this so much, because WHAT A DELIGHT. The narrative voice was really outstanding, most relatable cyborg ever, I enjoyed this so much.

A Brightness Long Ago by Guy Gavriel Kay, which for me was really a return to peak Kay quality, this was just so strong and beautiful in every layer, from prose to thematic underpinnings.

Offline Bender

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2019, 01:48:35 AM »
Here be Dragons - David P McPherson

Past Tense - Lee Child

Theft of Swords - Riyria Revelations #1 - Michael J Sullivan
Rise of Empire - Riyria Revelations #2 - Michael J Sullivan
Heir of Novron - Riyria Revelations #3 - Michael J Sullivan

Age of Myth - Legends of First Empire #1 - Michael J Sullivan
Age of Swords - Legends of First Empire #2 - Michael J Sullivan
Age of War - Legends of First Empire #3 - Michael J Sullivan
Age of Legend - Legends of First Empire #4 - Michael J Sullivan

Gil's All Fright Diner - A Lee Martinez
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 01:50:48 AM by Bender »
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline Matthew

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2019, 02:40:26 AM »
@Bender That's a lot of Sullivan.

I had a pretty low read month.

Legion of Flame + Empire of Ashes (Anthony Ryan).

Feet of Clay + Men at Arms (rereads of Pratchett).

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2019, 05:32:46 AM »
A quiet month for me with only 5 books. Here they are:

Caraval by Stephanie Garber. I didn't enjoy this at all. I was kind of hoping for something Night Circusish and this failed on pretty much every count.

The Sol Majestic by Ferrett Steinmetz. Very odd, but enjoyable book. It's an SF set on a space station and revolves around a restaurant, which seems to be the only reason anyone visits the station. It's about love, soup and how easy it is to fool people, but mostly soup.

The City in the Middle of the Night by Charlie Jane Anders. I really liked Anders' first book; All The Birds in the Sky, this isn't anything like that. I didn't like it as much, but it was still very good and one of the better looks at what could happen if we ever colonised another planet.

Kings of the Wyld by Nicholas Eames. This is my 4th time reading this, even though it only came out in 2017. It's just a damned good adventure book, full of action and fun. I love the characters, too.

Magic for Liars by Sarah Gailey. I liked Gailey's American Hippo books and while this is about as far from those as you can get, it was still really involving. It's rather like if J. K Rowling and Lev Grossman got together over a few bottles of wine and decided to write an episode of Midsomer Murders.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com