April 11, 2021, 02:28:42 AM

Author Topic: What did you read in Febuary 2021?  (Read 539 times)

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Elderling
What did you read in Febuary 2021?
« on: February 28, 2021, 09:51:35 AM »
Here it is: The what did you read this past month thread.

Come share your list and what you thought of the books you read last month. We're not looking for full out reviews, just a brief couple of sentences that sum up your impressions.

This is also not a contest for who read the most books, I know some of us struggle to find time to read one book a month, and others manage a dozen. That doesn't matter, so don't feel reluctant to post if you have read less books (or way more books) than others. This is all for sharing, and if you read anything, come let us know what it was and what you thought of it.
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Elderling
Re: What did you read in Febuary 2021?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2021, 10:42:19 AM »
Hymn (Psalms of Isaak #5) by Ken Scholes 3/5

Not worth the wait in the end the author took too long between books to write and when the book did come out the publisher set the book really expensive at £20.00 for a kindle edition  so another two years waiting for price to come down this meant there was about a 5-7 year gap  between the last book i read in the series. I've  forgotten what was going on I probably would have enjoyed it more if i had read the series in just one go.This is now why I prefer to wait for a whole series to come out before reading if i can.

Lady of Shadows (The Empty Gods #2) by Breanna Teintze 4/5

A book about a magical plague. Preferred this one to the first book lots of fun to read

Sea of Rust by C. Robert Cargill 4/5

A book about robots on earth in the not so distant future, no humans have survived  the uprising of the  A.I  Earth is now fought over by different A.I ( felt like a cross between murderbot and skynet)

The Ten Thousand Doors of January by Alix E. Harrow 3/5

Tries to be like  The Starless Sea  with a fairy-tale vibe it fails.

Gods of Jade and Shadow by Silvia Moreno-Garcia 2/5

Urban Fantasy with a fairy-tale vibe, this one didn't work for me.

The Perfect Assassin(The Chronicles of Ghadid #1) by K.A. Doore 3/5

Annoyed with the mc with some of the decisions he makes and it just felt too much YA for me personally. the world building is good and is set in  a middle east setting.

The First Sister (The First Sister Trilogy #1) by Linden A. Lewis 4/5

I have no idea how this ended up in my tbr pile but glad it did ! can't wait to read the next book.

Blackwing (Raven's Mark #1) by Ed McDonald 5/5

A pleasant surprise not as grim as I Imagined it was going to be. Glad i gave it a chance.

A Little Hatred (The Age of Madness #1) by Joe Abercrombie 5/5

The Trouble with Peace (The Age of Madness #2) by Joe Abercrombie 5/5

Doesn't disappoint.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 10:43:54 AM by eclipse »
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline CameronJohnston

• Great Old One
  • Auror
    • Cameron Writes
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2021, 02:55:57 PM »
Sea of Rust was unexpectedly entertaining for me, given how few people seem to have read it or talk about it.

Blackwing in hellova good.

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline hexa

• Bridgeburner
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2021, 03:18:04 PM »
Third Prince by Toby Neighbors
Recommended

The Alpha Protocol by Duncan Hamilton
Decent

The Fate of Spectrums by Nicholas Lawrence
I couldn't relate to any of the characters, so I didn't finish

Offline cupiscent

• Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • an nonsense
    • viscerate.com
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2021, 10:52:14 PM »
I had a fun month of reading!

The Infernal Battalion by Django Wexler, being the fifth and final book, and what a wonderful conclusion to a really great series. I have been so impressed by Wexler's writing - the choices he's made, how he's presented it, his delightful line-by-line writing - that I will basically follow him anywhere from here.

Exit Strategy by Martha Wells, being the fourth Murderbot novella, finishing off a very satisfying "origin" story arc for an amazing character. I have really loved what this series has to say about mental health and humanity as a choice.

And I've been re-reading Megan Whalen Turner's Queen's Thief series, so that I can discuss the books with a friend who's reading them for the first time, because it's been aaaages since I read the early ones. So I read through The Thief, Queen of Attolia and King of Attolia, and something that's really struck me is how very tightly plotted the whole series is, everything enmeshed and intertwined, and how beautifully the character throughlines show through when I'm not distracted by the puzzle-tension of not knowing what's afoot. A gift that keeps giving!

Offline Peat

• Master Namer
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2021, 12:39:40 AM »
This month I read

Penric's Demon by Lois McMaster Bujold - Fun, charming, very elegantly observed and written. Chicken Soup for the soul.

Asterix the Legionary by René Goscinny, Albert Uderzo, trans. Anthea Bell - One of my favourite Asterixes. The running jokes are great. The idea's fun. Only criticism is the fight scenes are average.

Fireheart Tiger by Aliette de Bodard - Really good. Twisty and a mix of tender and brutal in its scenes and themes. Great characters for a small book.

Kill 6 Billion Demons Vol. 1 by Tom Parkinson-Morgan - Very trippy, dark webcomic that I'm enjoying without entirely gripping.

The Tombs of Atuan by Ursula Le Guin - Hypnotic, different, quiet, gripping. A classic.

The Sword in the Street by C.M. Caplan - Part duels and lovers' quarrels; part enacting social change and consequences; a riff on Fantasy of Manners (particularly Swordspoint) that is likable and rushes along, although maybe rushes a bit too much at times.

The Gurkha and the Lord of Tuesday by Saad Z Hossain - Bogs down a little at times under the weight of language and exposition but most of it is the perfect mixture of Fun X Wow X Clever. Smart worldbuilding, movie worthy dialogue, joyful characterisation, & some plot bombs.

Wolf in Shadow by David Gemmell - Starts as a simple one righteous drifter in a cruel land; takes a hard left into trippy post-apocalyptic territory meditating on the values of peace and violence (albeit with lots of violent action). And ends strong.

The Fifth Elephant by Sir Terry Pratchett - Really really good. Think I've overlooked how good. Tight mystery, fantastic scenes, very strong themes. Very strong ending. About the only way it could have been better is with more of it.
This is the blog of Peat - https://peatlong.wordpress.com/

Offline Bender

• Gentleman Bastard
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2021, 01:09:28 AM »
Broken Council by Tao Wong

Continues the System Apocalypse plot. As good as other books. 7/10.

The Primus Initiative by Robert Davis

A sci-fi story about a bunch of feuding civilizations forced to come together to fight a bigger enemy intent on annihilating all if them. Told as a backdrop to the context of people and civilizations finding common ground themselves. Poignant read. 7/10

Santiago: Myth of Far Future by Mike Resnick

A fun space western with outlaws and wanted posters in wild frontier. Over the top colorful characters and larger than life myths makes this a cracking read. 8/10

Cinnamon Bun by Ravens Dagger

It was a refreshingly naive and fun MC who depends on sweeping and making friends to navigate the plot. Started off well, but for a bit repetitive. 5/10
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2021, 04:33:40 AM »
Short month, five books and three genres.

Velocity Weapon by Megan O'Keeffe. This was a relatively entertaining space opera largely about AI. My two quibbles were that the alien races didn't seem to be particularly alien and there was no real explanation of how humanity and they encountered each other. There was also a side story that didn't really seem to connect to the main story. Its a trilogy, so that may become more apparent in future books.

Across the Green Grass Fields by Seanan McGuire. I don't know McGuire does this, but every volume of her Wayward Children series seems to be better than the one that preceded it. This one is largely set in a fantasy world of equine races. It's also completely standalone. No mention of previous books or characters and can be read without knowledge or having to have read any of the other books in the series. Its also put in an early bid for my top list of 2021.

Over the Woodward Wall by Deborah A. Baker. Deborah A. Baker is another of McGuire's pseudonyms. The book and the author are referenced in McGuire's Middlegame. The influences of Lewis Carroll and Baum are clear. There's also echoes of McGuire's good friend Catherynne Valente's Fairyland series. It's a fun, light read and it does end on a cliff. It doesn't reach the heights of Valente's work, which it is a sort of homage to, though.

We Are Mayhem by Michael Moreci. This is a sequel to Black Star Renegades. Fun space opera. Improved on the first one. Moreci's background as a comic book writer is quite obvious and while this is fun at times it reads like Star Wars fanfic. I had to check a couple of times to make sure I wasn't reading a novelisation of Rogue One. He's left it open for another one, although I think this tied up the story quite nicely.

Bloodlines by Conn Iggulden. The 3rd of the Wars of the Roses quartet. This one deals mostly with Edward IV's first reign and the rise of the Woodvilles, which eventually leads to the betrayal by Richard Neville, also known as Warwick the Kingmaker. The parts of the historical events that George Martin would use in his A Song of Ice and Fire series became more evident in this volume.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline DrNefario

• Valheru
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2021, 04:23:36 PM »
In February I read:

• Orders of Battle (Frontlines #7) - Marko Kloos - The start of a new arc in the Frontlines mil-SF series. Not much happening yet, but it ends on a big bit of setup.
  • Daughter of the Forest (Sevenwaters #1) - Juliet Marillier - Historical fantasy retelling of a Grimm fairytale. I liked this a lot, although it does need a content warning qualifier. Sorcha was a great character. I'm interested to see how the series develops too.
  • Behind Her Eyes - Sarah Pinborough - OK, I read this one because it was coming to Netflix, and I'd had it sitting around for a while. It was pretty good, but I'm not sure I liked the ending, partly because I saw where it was going and it didn't have enough extra on top of that to make it pay off. I preferred 13 Minutes, of her borderline non-speculative thrillers, but I haven't read anything by Pinborough I didn't like.
  • Orconomics (Dark Profits #1) - J Zachary Pike - Another one I really liked. I was expecting something like Making Money, but it turned out to be more Kings of the Wyld, more of a straight adventure, at least to begin with. Looking forward to the next one.
  • Forerunner: The Second Venture (Forerunner #2) - Andre Norton - It's a minor, forgettable adventure SF story that I partly read to tidy up a half-finished omnibus. Probably shouldn't have bothered, but it didn't hold me up long.

A pretty good month except for that last one.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 04:25:25 PM by DrNefario »

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2021, 08:47:32 AM »
I read 3 fantasy books in February:

The kingdom of liars, Nick Martell (4/5)
A quite good book 1 of a trilogy, it improved as the story progressed. It's a mixture of mystery (who did that? is that person innocent or guilty?), adventure (a few 'quests') and interesting magic, and it includes an unreliable narrator. Good handling of family and friendship themes.

The fall of the Phoenix, Daniel Kelly (3/5)
Book 1 of 2, I won these in a competition. It was ok, but then I don't think I was the right target audience.
Retelling the war of Troy, with focus on battles, for me it became more interesting when he moved away from the accepted story (just bits and pieces).

The dragon waiting, John M. Ford (4.5/5)
A "classic" (originally published in 1983), it's a great piece of historical fantasy set in a long period but focused mainly in 16th century (England and Italy). There's real kings and the Medici, wizards and vampires, and an amazing female doctor, in a relatively short book that could had easily become a multi-volume series.

I also read
Becoming, Michelle Obama (4.5/5)
Super interesting, her life and her personality, much more than politics, which she was never really into. A perfect role model.

And I'm still reading Dawkins' The ancestor's tale (it's my non-fiction sidekick, a couple of pages per day - also because it's quite intense in information).
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!