December 09, 2019, 11:19:55 AM

Author Topic: What did you read in February 2019  (Read 1192 times)

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
What did you read in February 2019
« on: March 02, 2019, 09:54:25 AM »
Here it is: The what did you read this past month thread.

Come share your list and what you thought of the books you read last month. We're not looking for full out reviews, just a brief couple of sentences that sum up your impressions.

This is also not a contest for who read the most books, I know some of us struggle to find time to read one book a month, and others manage a dozen. That doesn't matter, so don't feel reluctant to post if you have read less books (or way more books) than others. This is all for sharing, and if you read anything, come let us know what it was and what you thought of it.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Skip

Re: What did you read in February 2019
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 04:35:56 PM »
The Expanse dominated my reading this month. Volumes 5 and 6:Nemesis Games and Babylon's Ashes. By the time I got this far in Wheel of Time I was starting to get disappointed. By the time I got this far in Game of Thrones it felt like I was swallowing Ipecac. But I'm enjoying every volume in this series, so all sorts of kudos to the authors.

I started and got about 2/3 through the first Flashman novel by George McDonald Fraser. After roughly the seventeenth time he had casually raped or beaten a woman, showed his racism in the worst traditions of the Empire, and held himself to be more clever than anyone around him, I was done with Flashman. Sure, there were people like that, but why would I want to read about one? I'm a historian. I know Flashman and his ilk. Neither in fiction nor in reality do I find them entertaining.
Visit Altearth

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2019, 05:07:02 PM »
Another "intensive" month with just a book:
I basically read two thirds of Midnight Tides (Malazan 5)

Inbetween I also read a YA book set in suffragette times, Things a bright girl can do (Sally Nicholls), a 'cartoon' book called Hyperbole and a half (Allie Brosh), based on her online blog of the same name (included a super description of living with depression) and a very short 100-page book by Mary Beard, Women & Power: a manifesto.

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2019, 08:10:28 PM »
Has something happened to @Eclipse?

Edit: @ didn't work, so I checked the memberlist and he isn't there anymore. Has he deleted his account?  :o :'(

Edit2: Sorry for hijacking this (his) thread. His profile is still there but he's not in the member list and he hasn't been active in 2019 at all.

Edit3:

« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 08:19:28 PM by xiagan »
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2019, 01:48:03 AM »
Read 8 in February. Still dominated by The Dresden Files which made of 4 of the 8, those being: Dead Beat, Proven Guilty, White Knight and Small Favor. They're all fairly enjoyable to varying degrees, and it is nice to see him move away from the vampire and werewolf staples of urban fantasy and more into various aspects of faery. He also set up the arc, which I didn't realise really comes together in about book 7.

Away from Jim Butcher, I read Killer T by Robert Muchamore (best known as the author of the Cherub YA series. This was also a little YA, but very science fiction, dealing with gene editing and the opportunities for people to spread pandemic viruses using it. It was a compelling read and just kept pulling me along to see what happened next.

The Night Dahlia by R.S. Belcher. I struggled with this. I preferred Nightwise. Far too much of Ballard Laytham trying to prove what a cynical soulless badass he is. There was also a bit of an obsession with naming every song that was playing wherever he went as some sort of scene setting and proving that he may be a cynical old fart, but he's hip. I would have preferred more concentration of the main mystery of the book instead of all the pointless meandering.

Skyfarer by Joseph Brassey. I know a couple of people here have liked this. I didn't. Characters were flat and 2 dimensional, dialogue had no snap to it. Plot twists were telegraphed and I found it very derivative. At times I had to convince myself that I wasn't reading The Force Awakens fanfic.

Then came Jade City by Fonda Lee. Oh my God this was great! Maybe it was because I'd read 2 pretty ordinary books, or maybe it was because I'd just rewatched The Departed, or maybe it was because this is just a really damn good book. It's reminiscent of a Hong Kong gangster film that has been given a fantasy twist. I found it unputdownable. Easily the best thing I've read so far this year and I am eagerly awaiting the sequel; Jade War due out in July.

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2019, 02:32:10 PM »
A relatively slow month for me, and I only made it to six because of two short books in four days last week. I didn't have any multitasked books to bail me out this time. I've been reading the same non-fiction book for ages, and haven't spent much time on it this month due to gaming (Dragon Quest XI).

Banewreaker (The Sundering #1) - Jacqueline Carey - An interesting inversion of the usual fantasy, this one is told from the point of view of the bad guys. I mean, they don't necessarily agree that they're the bad guys, but popular opinion is against them. I found it a little bit heavy going, but I am planning to read the concluding part sometime.

Columbus Day (Expeditionary Force #1) - Craig Alanson - Popular self-published military SF. I thought it was OK. There's a character introduced some way in who is easily the best thing in the book, but is also way overpowered and kind of inconsistently so. I'm undecided on whether I want to continue, but this book stands well enough alone.

Trinity Rising (Wild Hunt #2) - Elspeth Cooper - I enjoyed this, after a fairly dark start. It mainly follows a new character, so I was able to get by on my hazy memories of book 1 from four years ago.

The Black Prince - Adam Roberts - Historical fiction based on a script by Anthony Burgess. History is way darker than grimdark fantasy.

Dead Man's Folly (Poirot) - Agatha Christie - Fairly entertaining Poirot, although there is one element that's hard to believe. An enjoyable snack.

The Grey King (Dark is Rising #4) - Susan Cooper - I'm kind of wishing I hadn't bought the omnibus of these, to be honest. They might be children's classics, but they don't do a lot for middle-aged me. The atmosphere is good, but I just find the magical solutions a bit woolly. It's hard to believe that the main character is in any danger after the events of book 2. Still, only one to go, and they don't take long to read.

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2019, 10:11:07 PM »
I am always so delighted when I see people enjoying Fonda Lee's Jade City, because I liked it, but it wasn't really My Thing, but I could see how it was such a good take on That Thing, so it just fills me with delight when people who like the thing get to enjoy the book. (So thank you, @Elfy :D)

I am really doing terrible at reading physical books the last few months, for various reasons, but I did read Melissa Caruso's The Defiant Heir in February. It's book two of her "Swords and Fire" series (a trilogy, I believe). I love this series (which began with The Tethered Mage) so much; it's heavy on the politics, but still has lots of adventures; our heroine has great and complex relationships with other women (avoiding Smurfette syndrome); there are genuine character dilemmas complementing the Big Damn Plot; and our heroine really struggles with difficult questions of doing the right thing when there are no clear answers. Highly recommend!

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2019, 01:19:51 AM »
5 books in February

The Heartstone Blade by D.K. Holmberg. Another short and fun read from Holmberg. His stories are the kind of comfort read fantasy I love. 8.5/10

Skyward by Brandon Sanderson. It took me longer than usual to warm to the story, but I loved it in the end. 9/10

Dragon Blessed by D.K. Holmberg. This series is, in my opinion, his best work. It's action-packed and a lot of fun to read. 9/10

Unsouled by Will Wight. I liked his Traveler's Gate books better (the 2 that I've read). This one was good, but it felt like setup for the rest of the series. 8/10

Dragon Rise by D.K. Holmberg. See above. 9.5/10

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2019, 02:39:13 AM »
@xiagan did you ever find out if @Eclipse is okay?

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2019, 04:25:13 AM »
I am always so delighted when I see people enjoying Fonda Lee's Jade City, because I liked it, but it wasn't really My Thing, but I could see how it was such a good take on That Thing, so it just fills me with delight when people who like the thing get to enjoy the book. (So thank you, @Elfy :D)

I am really doing terrible at reading physical books the last few months, for various reasons, but I did read Melissa Caruso's The Defiant Heir in February. It's book two of her "Swords and Fire" series (a trilogy, I believe). I love this series (which began with The Tethered Mage) so much; it's heavy on the politics, but still has lots of adventures; our heroine has great and complex relationships with other women (avoiding Smurfette syndrome); there are genuine character dilemmas complementing the Big Damn Plot; and our heroine really struggles with difficult questions of doing the right thing when there are no clear answers. Highly recommend!
Yes @cupiscent, Jade City was most definitely My Thing. Along with all the other things I said about it, it also had the best written fictional city that I've seen since Camorr in The Lies of Locke Lamora. The only problem with a book you like that much is that for a while after other things tend to suffer by comparison.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2019, 08:33:01 AM »
@xiagan did you ever find out if @Eclipse is okay?
Reply via PM (and anyone else who'd like to know)

Offline Bender

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2019, 05:17:58 PM »
4 books of Riyria Chronicles
Kellanved's Reach
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot