December 12, 2018, 12:47:00 PM

Author Topic: What did you read in August 2018  (Read 822 times)

Offline cupiscent

Re: What did you read in August 2018
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2018, 04:46:05 AM »
There hasn't been as much buzz about (Spinning Silver) as there was about Uprooted...
I am so surprised to hear you say this, Elfy, as I have been hearing excited screaming online about Spinning Silver for MONTHS now, and I'm so excited to get into it. But perhaps that's a factor of communities -- I have in my online networks a lot of lady author/industry folk, really keen on lady(/minority) themes/power, so there are a lot of factors about Spinning Silver that really hit the jackpot there. But that may not necessarily translate outside my echo-chamber!

August was a bit of a mess of a month for me, overrun by illnesses (mine and the Child's) and planning for, then taking, a roadtrip holiday. But amidst all that I managed:

The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue by Mackenzi Lee, which was just such a rollicking delight. It contains so many things that I am easy pickings for--disaster bisexual young gentleman on his Continental Tour, deep and significant friendships in peril, snippy young ladies rolling their eyes, alchemical marginalia--but mostly the chief strength of this is the absolutely wonderful writing. The narrator-character's voice is very strong, and style is eminently readable, and the whole thing was just a great time.

Two of Swords, Volume Two by KJ Parker, a total change of pace, also a great time. Bonus points for starting out with the amazing adventures of Oida and Telamon, both of whom I adore. It's starting to become clearer what's going on, but of course this is Parker, so honestly, all bets are off at every page turn, and that's the way we like it. (This series is definitely not for those who don't love Parker's style, because it is 110% Peak Parker.)

I took a swing at The Blood of Whisperers by Devin Madson, a local author whose book I picked up at Melbourne's Continuum convention. It's not for me, as I favour character-driven over stuff-happening, but it's a nicely written Asian-inspired grimdark political fantasy. (If that sounds like something you might be into, you could, perhaps, PM me your address and I could mail you my physical copy, because I doubt I'll ever crack its spine again, and I'd love it to find a more interested home.)