December 08, 2019, 04:00:03 PM

Author Topic: What books have been in your tbr pile the longest  (Read 2511 times)

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
What books have been in your tbr pile the longest
« on: June 25, 2017, 06:43:47 PM »
You know the one it keeps getting buried by the newer books to you , you just keep adding on more books top  on top of the pile

Get your shovel out and tell me which five book in your tbr pile have been there the longest

mine were added on my list in 2012-2013 according to Goodreads

Unquiet Dreams (Connor Grey #2) by Mark Del Franco

The Radioactive Redhead (Zachary Nixon Johnson #3) by John Zakour, Lawrence Ganem

Sixty-One Nails (Courts of the Feyre #1) by Mike Shevdon

Secret of the Dragon (Dragonships of Vindras #2) by Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman

The Crimson Shield (Gallow #1) by Nathan Hawke

oh and my sixth book is Malice by John Gwynne  ;D  (I might never get round to it!)

According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: What books have been in your tbr pile the longest
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 06:48:25 PM »
Hmmm do you mean the ones I have at home waiting to be read, or the ones I added to my wishlist ages ago but never got round to them?

If the former, not that long, maybe just a couple of months (I will read them asap!)

If the latter, let me check: maybe some fantasy classics that people tell me I should read, like J.V. Jones or 'Last Unicorn'...
Aidan Harte's Wave trilogy...
Elizabeth Bear books that aren't published in the UK
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Eclipse

• Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 06:50:15 PM »
Both piles , I'm nosy!

I've heard of Aidan Harte's Wave trilogy! wonder if it's any good
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 06:51:56 PM by Eclipse »

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 07:03:57 PM »
I will read it, eventually... after the first pile is gone ;D

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 07:28:54 PM »
On Goodreads:

The last three books of the Wrinkle in Time quintet by Madeleine L'Engle

The Heroes and Red Country by Joe Abercrombie.

Cold Days and Skin Game by Jim Butcher. (I added the entire series at once, and I've been reading it slowly because I don't want to run out of material to read.)

I also have The Doors of Stone on there, but it's not my fault that I haven't read that one yet.

Offline Eclipse

• Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2017, 07:53:22 PM »
I also have The Doors of Stone on there, but it's not my fault that I haven't read that one yet.

That made me laugh

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2017, 11:11:13 PM »
Wheel of Time. It actually became even more buried. I put Malazon above it now.

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2017, 11:18:34 PM »
War and Peace!!!!!
The Real Powers That Be

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2017, 11:24:15 PM »

I am delighted to see people talking about / interested in this trilogy, because I think it did some really interesting stuff, but hardly anyone seems to have heard of it. The first book in particular I thought was magnificent, if a little flawed. Anyway, very interested to hear what ScarletBea thinks! :)

But back to the original question. In general, I work through my TBR systematically. I sort it in chronological order by when I added the books, and I read the oldest book. Sometimes there'll be slight deviations - like I added a whole wad of grimdark stuff all at once and I need a break in reading it, so I'll skip a little further down the list. And there's a knot of books at the top of the list that I haven't managed to get hold of.

And then there are two things sitting at the top of my list that have been there for years.

One is A Dance With Dragons. I bought it about five minutes after it came out. My husband's read it twice. I still haven't. Every time I think I should, I realise I can't really remember what was going on, so I'll need to go back and re-read the book before it, and probably the book before that, and there's just so much woffle of grim details, and I just... feel exhausted and go read something else. (My plan is to read them all once the series is finished, so I figure that gives me, like, ten years.)

The other is A Memory of Light. Similarly to the other, I have had the last Wheel of Time book sitting on my shelf since about five minutes after it landed, and I just haven't read it. This isn't about re-reading requirements - I didn't reread before the penultimate volume, and it worked fine, so I'm not planning to bother. I want to know how it ends. I just... haven't got around to it. Whoops?

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2017, 11:47:40 PM »
Regarding SF/F, these are the ones that are on top of it - doesn't mean they are priority, they were just the earliest added when I made a GR account:

Snow Like Ashes by Saara Raasch. Added in Nov/15. The world have four kingdoms based on the seasons. The Winter Kingdom was enslaved and now the protagonist wants to set it free. Young Adult Fantasy.

Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo. Added in Nov/15. Seems like a Young Adult Gentleman Bastards with Mission Impossible, as a crew of geniuses thieves have to steal something from the highest protected and secure vault in the world.

The Red Knight by Miles Cameron. Added in Dec/15. I heard a lot of praise for it because the author goes into huge details to correctly portray battles, weapons, armor and tactics of medieval battles.

Curiously, some more well-know titles that were added around that time include:

The Crown Tower by Michael Sullivan, The Traitor Baru Cormorant by Seth Dickinson, Prince of Fools by Mark Lawrence, The Black Prism by Brent Weeks, Red Rising by Pierce Brown and The Warded Man from Peter Brett.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2017, 02:49:38 AM »
Goodreads says Sep. 12, 2013 for Sea of Ghosts by Alan Campbell.

Just bought a used hardcover + shipping for $6.96. Let's do this.
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2017, 04:56:28 AM »
Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo. Added in Nov/15. Seems like a Young Adult Gentleman Bastards with Mission Impossible, as a crew of geniuses thieves have to steal something from the highest protected and secure vault in the world.

Six of Crows is pretty good as it goes, about 4 stars for me. True, there were some overly badass YA action/ abilities at some points, but overall I think it's a quite rather decent book. Although I still think I may enjoy the Gentlemen Bastards series more, even if I haven't gotten to reading those yet.  8)

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2017, 02:06:24 PM »
My longest-standing paid but unread kindle books, all from 2011, are:

Declare - Tim Powers - Meant to be really good. I just picked it up because it was a bargain (schoolboy error) and haven't got round to it yet.

A Dance of Cloaks - David Dalglish - This one I bought after reading the sample, which I used to have time to do back then when I had hardly any books. For some reason I never continued with it. I have since also picked up the trilogy omnibus, for less money than just this one volume. Ah well. I might learn one day.

The Crown of the Blood - Gav Thorpe - Another random bargain. I don't really know much about it.

Dragon Keeper - Robin Hobb - Yeah, quite a bad one, this. I still haven't read the Rain Wilds quartet, although I have bought the other three books, and one of the new set.

The Gathering Storm - Brandon Sanderson & Robert Jordan - Another bad one. A series I've been reading since about 1994. I was wary of someone else taking up the reins after Jordan's death, but I should probably get on with it, really.

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2017, 03:21:20 PM »
Dragon Keeper - Robin Hobb - Yeah, quite a bad one, this. I still haven't read the Rain Wilds quartet, although I have bought the other three books, and one of the new set.
Don't read the new trilogy before reading the Rain Wild books - you'll see lots of spoilers!

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2017, 07:31:18 PM »

A Dance of Cloaks - David Dalglish - This one I bought after reading the sample, which I used to have time to do back then when I had hardly any books. For some reason I never continued with it. I have since also picked up the trilogy omnibus, for less money than just this one volume. Ah well. I might learn one day.

The Gathering Storm - Brandon Sanderson & Robert Jordan - Another bad one. A series I've been reading since about 1994. I was wary of someone else taking up the reins after Jordan's death, but I should probably get on with it, really.

Dalglish's stories are solid but simple in my opinion. Fun, but very much popcorn fantasy.

As for the Gathering Storm, you should go ahead and read it. I thought the last three books were the best in the entire series.