March 26, 2019, 06:53:25 AM

Author Topic: What are your reading goals for 2019?  (Read 914 times)

Offline Skip

Re: What are your reading goals for 2019?
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2019, 05:21:20 PM »
My goals:
1. Keep breathing
2. Keep reading

I'm proud to say I've met my goals every year for about fifty years now.

Books I look forward to reading this year: The Hod King by Josiah Bancroft, and the rest of The Expanse series. Plus something from my classics list, which always manages to surprise me at least once.

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2019, 08:55:21 PM »
In 2017, I fell just short of my goal of 52 books. In 2018, I fell just short of my goal of 78 books. So I hope to fall just short of my goal of 90 in 2019. I tend to read a lot of thick and heavy books: about a third of the books I read are non-fiction and I always end up with fantasy and sf epics on my hands. But setting a reading goal has increased my reading a lot, and the more I read, the more my reading comprehension and speed increases. It's a source of great joy for me.

One of my goals for 2019 is to read more biographies as a part of my non-fiction. Recommendations of biographies who have had fascinating lives are welcome.

OK - Napoleon is a fascinating figure. I read a very good biography about him by Andrew Roberts last year.  But a new one by Adam Zamoyski is currently getting great reviews. 

Currently I am reading Thomas Cromwell: A Life by Diarmid McCulloch.  Fascinating but heavy!  I am learning so much about the English Reformation. 

Do you like nautical heroes like Hornblower and Jack Aubrey? Then read about their real life counterpart: Thomas Cochrane.  Thomas Cochrane the Dauntless by David Cordinley is excellent. 
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2019, 12:48:44 AM »
Since Goodreads includes the mangas I read, I'm setting a goal of 200 and hope to struggle more than last year. Last year I cruised by my 100 mark because I was a lot more thorough reporting what I'd read.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Magnus Hedén

• High Lord of commas and Grand Master of semicolons
  • Night Angel
  • My name is Magnus. I make stuff up.
    • View Profile
    • My Patreon
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2019, 10:34:09 AM »
OK - Napoleon is a fascinating figure. I read a very good biography about him by Andrew Roberts last year.  But a new one by Adam Zamoyski is currently getting great reviews. 

Currently I am reading Thomas Cromwell: A Life by Diarmid McCulloch.  Fascinating but heavy!  I am learning so much about the English Reformation. 

Do you like nautical heroes like Hornblower and Jack Aubrey? Then read about their real life counterpart: Thomas Cochrane.  Thomas Cochrane the Dauntless by David Cordinley is excellent.

I may have a look at the nautical one, I seem to keep returning to that setting and I know very little about it. And while I'm not disinterested in historical figures, I was thinking more of modern accounts from people who have written (or been a part of writing) the biography themselves. I guess the correct term is autobiography or memoir (learned something new today!)
You can find stories on my Patreon
I'm also on Twitter and the Book of Faces