May 30, 2020, 07:26:10 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1988789 times)

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #5820 on: April 16, 2015, 12:55:58 AM »
Got a delivery from Book Depository yesterday with 4 lovely shiny new books in it. So had to choose from Pocket Apocalypse, Prudence, Voyage of the Basilisk and The Goblin Emperor. I went for Pocket Apocalypse and Lejays17 dived on Prudence.

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5821 on: April 17, 2015, 05:00:35 AM »
Currently about a third of the way through Retribution Falls, really enjoying it so far.  :)
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #5822 on: April 17, 2015, 05:29:52 AM »
Currently about a third of the way through Retribution Falls, really enjoying it so far.  :)

Such a good book. I believe I once referred to it as action-packed steampunk awesomeness.

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5823 on: April 17, 2015, 05:36:14 AM »

Such a good book. I believe I once referred to it as action-packed steampunk awesomeness.
Sounds about right! First time I've ready anything steampunk actually, so it's a new experience for me!  :D
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline ChrisW

« Reply #5824 on: April 17, 2015, 08:20:47 AM »
Currently rereading  The Remaining: Fractured by D J Molles before I dive into The Remaining: Allegiance. Anyone having The Walking Dead withdrawls should check this series out! Now if only HBO would turn it into a tv series.....

Before that I read Sword of the North by Luke Scull, which had some great bits and not so great bits.

Offline ChrisW

« Reply #5825 on: April 17, 2015, 08:25:14 AM »
Got a delivery from Book Depository yesterday with 4 lovely shiny new books in it. So had to choose from Pocket Apocalypse, Prudence, Voyage of the Basilisk and The Goblin Emperor. I went for Pocket Apocalypse and Lejays17 dived on Prudence.

The Goblin Emperor is a good read though it does read like she was writing with certain awards in mind :o

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #5826 on: April 17, 2015, 07:52:36 PM »
Finished The Providence of Fire by Brian Staveley. This was a great book. I think I enjoyed it even more than I did The Emperor's Blades. In this one, the pace goes along a bit faster, and there are interesting revelations galore. I'm really excited to see where it goes from here.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #5827 on: April 17, 2015, 08:11:25 PM »
Finished The Providence of Fire by Brian Staveley. This was a great book. I think I enjoyed it even more than I did The Emperor's Blades. In this one, the pace goes along a bit faster, and there are interesting revelations galore. I'm really excited to see where it goes from here.
I'm listening to it now, and really enjoying it. It's starnge to have been so luke warm to Blades at first, and then to find I'm quite enjoying the whole thing. Maybe I just got used to the writing, but I actually think the writing got better as Blades went along.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #5828 on: April 17, 2015, 08:31:42 PM »
I'm listening to it now, and really enjoying it. It's starnge to have been so luke warm to Blades at first, and then to find I'm quite enjoying the whole thing. Maybe I just got used to the writing, but I actually think the writing got better as Blades went along.

The writing did get better in the second book. Which made me happy. I'm looking forward to the 3rd one.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline Idlewilder

« Reply #5829 on: April 17, 2015, 11:06:31 PM »
I finished Fortress Frontier by Myke Cole. Brilliant book, just so well plotted out, outstanding new main character and some great fleshing out of his world. I was totally hooked and it was just leaps and bounds improved on Control Point.

On holiday this week coming so I have a stack of books all picked out to get cracking with - excited!
Make Another World.

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #5830 on: April 18, 2015, 12:52:43 AM »
Started The Martian by Andy Weir earlier this week but haven't got past the first chapter. I dunno. Something strikes me as almost childish and stilted about the writing. Gonna keep on trekking though.
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #5831 on: April 18, 2015, 01:19:50 AM »

The Goblin Emperor is a good read though it does read like she was writing with certain awards in mind :o
Interesting, although I think if she was doing that she would have pushed harder to have it published under the name everyone was familiar with rather than a pseudonym.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #5832 on: April 18, 2015, 01:48:48 AM »

Interesting, although I think if she was doing that she would have pushed harder to have it published under the name everyone was familiar with rather than a pseudonym.
Oh? What's this back story?
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #5833 on: April 18, 2015, 02:51:18 AM »

Oh? What's this back story?
The real name of Katherine Addison author of The Goblin Emperor is Sarah Monette. She's best known for the Doctrine of Labyrinths series, especially Melusine, she's also co-written a couple of novels with Elizabeth Bear. She makes no secret of the pseudonym, even announces it on her website. Her response as to why she published The Goblin Emperor under a pseudonym is because publishing is a deeply, deeply weird business.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Lejays17

« Reply #5834 on: April 18, 2015, 03:24:48 AM »
Like Elfy said, we got a delivery last week, so I'm currently reading Prudence by Gail Carriger.  It's rather silly, but I'm enjoying the lightness of it.

I'm also reading the second-last Sookie Stackhouse book by Charlaine Harris (I started the last one, but realised that I hadn't read the *major plot development* referred to at the start, so had to dig out the previous one.  I have read about half of it (the second-last one) before, according to the 5-dirham note being used as a bookmark  ;D ;D )

And there's also the books I'm always reading, so I won't bother with listing them again
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables you to be wrong with authority." The Doctor - Wheel in Space

"It's not destiny!  It's a crazy scientist with a giant snake!" Sinbad - For Whom the Egg Shatters