November 20, 2019, 10:14:51 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1801271 times)

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #5790 on: April 08, 2015, 01:07:04 AM »
Just started Unfettered, anthology edited by Shawn Speakman.   It was started to raise money for Shawn's medical bills and kicked off by Terry Brooks offering to write a story free and ended up with so many other of my favourite authors and some new to me. Think I am going to enjoy this.
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Online Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #5791 on: April 08, 2015, 01:08:59 AM »
Just started Unfettered, anthology edited by Shawn Speakman.   It was started to raise money for Shawn's medical bills and kicked off by Terry Brooks offering to write a story free and ended up with so many other of my favourite authors and some new to me. Think I am going to enjoy this.
I believe Shawn also has a story of his own in there. I used to see Shawn regularly on the Brooks forum (where he was the moderator and webmaster), but since they wound that up I haven't kept up with how he's going.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5792 on: April 08, 2015, 01:17:30 AM »
I believe Shawn also has a story of his own in there. I used to see Shawn regularly on the Brooks forum (where he was the moderator and webmaster), but since they wound that up I haven't kept up with how he's going.

I found out about it from a link on Pat Rothfuss Twitter feed, he was giving it a push there recently. As far as I can remember in that link it said the money was to pay for extra treatment that had been received, and implied it was successful so far, but as all insurance had been used on the first treatment there was none left for the second, so Shawn was trying to pay off the debt. Check out the list of authors who contributed, it is very impressive.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15832300-unfettered
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Online Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #5793 on: April 08, 2015, 01:24:33 AM »

I found out about it from a link on Pat Rothfuss Twitter feed, he was giving it a push there recently. As far as I can remember in that link it said the money was to pay for extra treatment that had been received, and implied it was successful so far, but as all insurance had been used on the first treatment there was none left for the second, so Shawn was trying to pay off the debt. Check out the list of authors who contributed, it is very impressive.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15832300-unfettered
It is an impressive list. Shawn ran/runs a business where you can order signed copies of books by authors from him, he also does web mastering for a few and has quite good relationships with a number of big name authors. He's a cancer survivor, so that's where he incurred the debt and yes to help him pay his way out of that is a good thing.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #5794 on: April 08, 2015, 08:41:47 AM »
Halfway through Mike Carey's The Devil You Know - finding it started a little slow but is really starting to pick up the pace and draw me in now.

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline Bridgeburner_Ash

« Reply #5795 on: April 08, 2015, 11:52:51 AM »
At this very moment I actually have 3 books on the go.

On my Kindle (which I current,y only read when at the gym) is a free kindle trilogy called 'The Breaker Series'. I'm really enjoying this as it's different from the usually Fantasy I read as it's about a disease that wipes out the human population and an alien invasion. For a free book I was surprised at the length of the stories and the depth of the writing (so far most of the free ones I've found have been quite short and while they have to been badly written, the detail in them has always seemed a little rushed)
On my IPhone I'm currently reading another free Kindle book, this one is a shorter book about a Zombie 'Apocolypse' called 'Zombie Fallout'. It's in first person which I'm not usually a fan of and this is the first Zombie book I've read (really getting into Zombie fiction after playing Dying Light) but again I'm really enjoying it
Lastly, on my IPad I am currently re-reading my brothers novel 'Black across'. I was lucky to be able to be a proof reader on this book so I have been able to see it grow into a great fantasy book but now I'm just enjoying reading from a purely 'customer' view instead of having to scrounge through it for mistakes.

I have quite a few more books both sat waiting on my Kindle and sat collecting dust on my bookshelf which I really want to delve into but there just isn't enought time in the day
Huge fan of Fantasy and other Fiction Genres, mostly down to my mother who got me involved in Fantasy from an early age
I also have a Bearded Dragon called Draco, 3 Leopard Geckos called Mojo, Ziva & Fiddler and last but not least is my very cheeky Quaker Parrot Loki

Offline Yora

« Reply #5796 on: April 08, 2015, 12:20:41 PM »
Finished Death Angel's Shadow and now back to Blood of Elves.
We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on a big tower of other dwarves.

Beneath the Leaves of Kaendor

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5797 on: April 10, 2015, 11:32:20 PM »
I recently read Den Patrick's The Boy Who Wept Blood and now finally reading the Pandemonium Press collection Book of the Dead.  Had it for well over a year now! Halfway through and as engrossing as all their collections.  Also been enjoying Corto Maltese: Under the sign of Capricorn by Hugo Pratt as my comic book read. One of the early pioneers in writing comics.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5798 on: April 11, 2015, 12:08:48 AM »
Just finished the third book in The Legend of Eli Monpress, definitely found it a step up from the other two, really enjoyable read. :)
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #5799 on: April 11, 2015, 12:14:45 AM »
Just finished the third book in The Legend of Eli Monpress, definitely found it a step up from the other two, really enjoyable read. :)
Yup. I think I said I felt it hit it's stride in book 3. For me, it's [character name who is possessed by demon seed] that makes the whole thing.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5800 on: April 11, 2015, 12:29:55 AM »
Yup. I think I said I felt it hit it's stride in book 3. For me, it's [character name who is possessed by demon seed] that makes the whole thing.
Yeah same, the main magic system and most of the setting and characters are fairly cool, but the bit that really captures my interest is the whole demon seed concept. That character is definitely the strongest so far as well. I'm hoping it explores that a lot more in the final two books!
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #5801 on: April 11, 2015, 12:36:11 AM »
Yeah same, the main magic system and most of the setting and characters are fairly cool, but the bit that really captures my interest is the whole demon seed concept. That character is definitely the strongest so far as well. I'm hoping it explores that a lot more in the final two books!
Big time.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Online Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #5802 on: April 11, 2015, 01:06:04 AM »
Big time.
Another plus for the series is that she actually finished it in 5 books. There is scope if she ever wanted to return to the world or the characters, but that particular story was all satisfactorily wrapped up.

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #5803 on: April 11, 2015, 05:13:57 AM »
I'm glad to see Rachel Aaron getting some love here. The Eli Monpress series was one of the most fun I've ever read. Her science fiction trilogy as Rachel Bach was also a lot of fun (though there was a greater focus on romance).

On my end, I finished Legion: Skin Deep by Brandon Sanderson. I've liked both the Legion novellas, but for me, they are the weakest I've read by Sanderson. They're still very enjoyable, but I feel like the magic isn't quite there. I really like the concept, though, and the stories move at a good clip.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #5804 on: April 11, 2015, 11:35:47 AM »
Started the vagrant last night. It's very good but strange.

Spoiler for Hiden:
There's a goat