December 10, 2019, 07:31:09 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1834286 times)

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #5700 on: March 27, 2015, 11:25:28 PM »
Rachel Aaron also has an interesting book on writing. From 2,000 to 10,000.
Yeah I think the post I read was a summary/extract of that. They were pretty interesting points iirc.

It was possibly @Jamcyk or me who mentioned it. We have a small admiration group for the works of Rachel Aaron happening. Out of interest do you have The Spirit Thief or The Legend of Eli Monpress omnibus that contains the first two books? The reason I ask is because they were combined a few years ago now and it gives me an idea of just how old that TBR pile is, of course so does Retribution Falls, because I think that initially came out about 5 or 6 years ago now.
Yeah that seems likely.  :P It's an ebook - this one - think it's meant to be three books? Not entirely sure though. We don't have a huge amount of shelf space, so we buy ebook first then if it's really good we buy a physical copy second-hand.  :)

Speaking of which, we have the opportunity to buy books 4-14 of the Wheel of Time for 40€... really torn about whether we should make an offer for them  :-\
Ah okay, that's the omnibus. The series is actually 5 books, but the first two were combined into the omnibus so that way it condenses into less books, which technically makes it a trilogy.
That Wheel of Time deal isn't bad if you can get it. If nothing else it's a lot of reading.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5701 on: March 27, 2015, 11:30:58 PM »
Rachel Aaron also has an interesting book on writing. From 2,000 to 10,000.
Yeah I think the post I read was a summary/extract of that. They were pretty interesting points iirc.

It was possibly @Jamcyk or me who mentioned it. We have a small admiration group for the works of Rachel Aaron happening. Out of interest do you have The Spirit Thief or The Legend of Eli Monpress omnibus that contains the first two books? The reason I ask is because they were combined a few years ago now and it gives me an idea of just how old that TBR pile is, of course so does Retribution Falls, because I think that initially came out about 5 or 6 years ago now.
Yeah that seems likely.  :P It's an ebook - this one - think it's meant to be three books? Not entirely sure though. We don't have a huge amount of shelf space, so we buy ebook first then if it's really good we buy a physical copy second-hand.  :)

Speaking of which, we have the opportunity to buy books 4-14 of the Wheel of Time for 40€... really torn about whether we should make an offer for them  :-\
Ah okay, that's the omnibus. The series is actually 5 books, but the first two were combined into the omnibus so that way it condenses into less books, which technically makes it a trilogy.
That Wheel of Time deal isn't bad if you can get it. If nothing else it's a lot of reading.
Interesting. We'll probably try to get the older editions if we want physical copies then, prefer them for some reason.

Yeah, just a bit wary because of the shelf space problem. From what I've heard of the series the problems with it would drive me up the wall...
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #5702 on: March 27, 2015, 11:33:09 PM »
It mainly suffers during the middle books. Jordan seemed to lose his way a bit. It went totally off the rails with Crossroads of Twilight, but kind of pulled it back a bit with Knife of Dreams. I've heard the final 3 by Sanderson pulled it all together fairly successfully.

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #5703 on: March 27, 2015, 11:34:22 PM »
As others have said, The Spirit Thief and Retribution Falls are both great reads. Rachel Aaron/Bach is one of my favorite authors. I just got her Nice Dragons Finish Last today, and I'm excited to read it. I'm about to start on The Black Lung Captain by Wooding. I loved the first one, and I'm kind of scared to read the rest (though I've heard they just keep getting better).

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #5704 on: March 27, 2015, 11:36:55 PM »
As others have said, The Spirit Thief and Retribution Falls are both great reads. Rachel Aaron/Bach is one of my favorite authors. I just got her Nice Dragons Finish Last today, and I'm excited to read it. I'm about to start on The Black Lung Captain by Wooding. I loved the first one, and I'm kind of scared to read the rest (though I've heard they just keep getting better).
Wooding stuck the ending Ryan. Retribution Falls is still my favourite, but the whole series is awesome and was well done. I'll have to keep an eye out of Nice Dragons Finish Last.

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #5705 on: March 27, 2015, 11:38:29 PM »
It mainly suffers during the middle books. Jordan seemed to lose his way a bit. It went totally off the rails with Crossroads of Twilight, but kind of pulled it back a bit with Knife of Dreams. I've heard the final 3 by Sanderson pulled it all together fairly successfully.

The final three were my favorites in the series.

My general impressions of the series:

Books 1 through 3 were very good reads, though Jordan's wordiness already showed at times.

Books 4 through 6 were still good, but the plot was beginning to slow down.

Books 7 through 9 were a bit of a chore to get through. At that point, though, I was so invested in the characters and the story that I had to keep reading.

Book 10 was bad. No other way to put it. Nothing happened.

Book 11 was an improvement, probably on par with 4 through 6 for me.

Books 12 and 13 were very good. For me, they were better than the first three. Sanderson might get wordy at times, but he's nowhere near as wordy as Robert Jordan.

Book 14 was one of the best I've ever read. It was pretty much nonstop action and one of the most relentless books I've ever read. Those 900 pages went very quickly.

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5706 on: March 27, 2015, 11:40:48 PM »
Yep, but some of the criticism of the whole series - including the books that everyone agrees are much stronger - does make me unsure if I want to invest the time. So many other books to read that it's hard to commit!  :P

Definitely seems like they're good books, don't think I've seen anyone say much bad about them!  :D

Made me laugh  ;D
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #5707 on: March 28, 2015, 12:31:25 AM »

Made me laugh  ;D
[/quote]
The best summation I've seen of Crossroads of Twilight came from Adam Roberts on punkadiddle, he summed the entire 700+ pages up as: drivel. He did do a more detailed review, but that one word pretty much summed it up.

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5708 on: March 28, 2015, 09:19:56 AM »
Thanks about the news of Cinder Spires, Elfy, good to look forward to later.

Left Bobby Dollar in Hell for a while, got distracted and tempted by The Copper Promise, went through the day at double speed listening to non stop action, start of some good characters, definitely enjoying the start of this series.
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline Lejays17

« Reply #5709 on: March 28, 2015, 10:53:10 AM »
I just finished the 4th Fairyland books The Boy Who Lost Fairyland, and will now go back to Codex reborn by Jim Hines.

I also got a retelling/contiunation for Alice in Wonderland this week, so I might read that one in the evenings.
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables you to be wrong with authority." The Doctor - Wheel in Space

"It's not destiny!  It's a crazy scientist with a giant snake!" Sinbad - For Whom the Egg Shatters

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5710 on: March 28, 2015, 02:56:43 PM »
We can't be talking about Crossroads of Twilight again?

Finished Prudence. Nice broadening of the world, good start to a series. :)

Now further on in the Copper Promise!
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #5711 on: March 28, 2015, 03:48:31 PM »
Reading The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers and I'm struggling with it  :(
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #5712 on: March 28, 2015, 04:02:47 PM »
Finished Forsworn by Brian McClellan. It's one of his Powder Mage shorts. I really enjoyed it (just like I've enjoyed the novels so much).

Offline simonster

« Reply #5713 on: March 28, 2015, 08:06:37 PM »
Finished Boneshaker by Cherie Priest.  I liked the world it created, but the story never really amounted to much.

Now reading Merchanter's Luck by C J Cherryh, because she's the best. ;)

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #5714 on: March 28, 2015, 10:29:07 PM »
How many of us are reading or have just finished The Copper Promise? If I count myself I think there's 4 of us at present: me, @Jmacyk, @xiagan and @Lady Ty. Is that some sort of a record for something that isn't a book club read?