July 21, 2019, 10:35:59 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1692762 times)

Offline CameronJohnston

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #5670 on: March 24, 2015, 12:08:39 PM »
Currently thoroughly enjoying When the Sea is Rising Red by Cat Hellisen. It's different from what I would usually read, but that's no bad thing at all. A richly detailed world and characters trapped between family and society, freedom and obligation, with understandable reasons for what they are doing. Just skimming the surface of the mythology and magic in the book and so far finding it fascinating.

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline Opachii

« Reply #5671 on: March 25, 2015, 01:50:34 AM »
     I am currently working on "The Son of Neptune". It is the second volume in "The Heroes of Opympus" series. I really enjoy the concept of the series. I just wish I can say I have read the Percy Jackson series but I hope to get to that before I finish Heroes of Olympus so I can understand a bit more. 

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #5672 on: March 25, 2015, 04:04:22 PM »
Decided to do a recorded book again on my commute, so I picked up The Emperor's Blades by Brian Stavely.  So far, interesting. A few notes of : really? But I think I'll enjoy it.

Still reading Copper Promise, which is wonderful.
And doing a close reading of my sister-in-law's unpub YA time travel book. Very time-consuming, so slow progress.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline AzWingsFan

« Reply #5673 on: March 25, 2015, 05:49:07 PM »
Just finished World War Z by Max Brooks

Good, different, completely different than that action movie.

On to Emperors Blades by Brian Staveley.
Fan of Classic/Epic Fantasy and Grimdark

Working on writing a book. Any advice will be taken graciously.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #5674 on: March 25, 2015, 06:49:40 PM »
Be interesting to compare notes when we're each done.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #5675 on: March 25, 2015, 07:12:05 PM »
I really liked The Emperor's Blades. I'm reading The Providence of Fire at the moment.

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #5676 on: March 25, 2015, 07:13:22 PM »
Be interesting to compare notes when we're each done.

When you are done, you can compare notes by checking out this discussion thread and adding to it if interested:

http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/fantasy-book-discussion/emperor's-blades-by-brian-staveley/msg77724/#msg77724

:D

I really liked The Emperor's Blades. I'm reading The Providence of Fire at the moment.

I loved Providence of Fire. While I really enjoyed Emperor's Blades, I had some reservations all of which were wiped away with the second book.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #5677 on: March 25, 2015, 07:23:48 PM »
Reading Grace of Kings, which I know I already mentioned. But the more I read of it, the more I am loving. I cant remember the last epic fantasy that has captured my attention so fully. The style is beautiful, yet easy to read (for some reason, I expected a slow/heavy read), the characters seem to come to life and just seem real and intriguing, and quite curious what is going on. Still time for things to go wrong, but right now, my expectations for it are extremely high.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline Stars Cascade

• Bridgeburner
  • All Knowledge is worth having
    • View Profile
« Reply #5678 on: March 25, 2015, 07:37:03 PM »
Knights Shadow by Sebastien De Castell.

Its taken me ages to properly start this book. A combination of things held me back till this week when ive finally sat and gotten into it.

I love it. I love my character too, Dari is awesome :D

Ive been in a mega reading rut for months and months now. Its driving me crazy, hopefully this will help put me back on track.
~ Love as thou Wilt ~

*@stars__cascade*

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #5679 on: March 25, 2015, 08:59:55 PM »
Reading Prudence by Gail Carriger and the Copper Promise by sennydreadful. :)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Hedin

« Reply #5680 on: March 26, 2015, 03:13:55 AM »
I'm in the middle of The Lions of Al-Rassan which is my first GGK novel and loving it so far.   Behind that this week my copies of Firefight, Golden Son, Royal Assassin, and Assassin's Quest all came at the same time rather unexpectedly so I have so reading to do.

Offline Idlewilder

« Reply #5681 on: March 26, 2015, 08:41:55 AM »
Reading Grace of Kings, which I know I already mentioned. But the more I read of it, the more I am loving. I cant remember the last epic fantasy that has captured my attention so fully. The style is beautiful, yet easy to read (for some reason, I expected a slow/heavy read), the characters seem to come to life and just seem real and intriguing, and quite curious what is going on. Still time for things to go wrong, but right now, my expectations for it are extremely high.

I really want to read this. Sadly it isn't being published in the UK and the US hardcover price is around £20. Bit steep...

I was listening to The Wee Free Men but as it is now the book club read I'll leave it for a week and then go back. Instead I picked up The Colour of Magic (new Gollancz covers are glorious) and have been drawn in again. It gets a bad rap against other Discworld books, but it's still bloody hilarious.

Also finished Annihilation by Jeff Vandermeer. Brilliant book - so weird and creepy, it genuinely made my skin crawl throughout. Definitely looking to read the next one, Authority, as soon as I can.
Make Another World.

Offline OptimusGuido

« Reply #5682 on: March 26, 2015, 05:40:10 PM »
Just started Assassin's Apprentice.  My first foray into the Robin Hobb experience.  Based on the raving reviews i'm super pumped.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #5683 on: March 26, 2015, 06:24:40 PM »
I finished Prince of Fools (see comment elsewhere) and started a non-fantasy book, The paying guests (Sarah Waters) - I know, I know, but sometimes it can't be helped ;)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5684 on: March 26, 2015, 10:35:19 PM »
Just finished Soda Pop Soldier, thanks to @Elfy for mentioning it. Definitely in the same vein as Ready Player One, and probably a little more accessible to most people since it includes far fewer cultural references. SPS was really fun, though I didn't think it was quite as good as RPO. I noticed a few issues with editing here and there as well - for example some repetition of near-identical sentences within a single paragraph happened a few times.
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.