July 18, 2019, 01:56:47 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1690254 times)

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #5655 on: March 21, 2015, 01:27:23 AM »
Finished two books.

The Waste Lands by Stephen King. I almost gave up on the Dark Tower series after being disappointed with the second book. I liked this one a lot better, though. The plot grinds to a halt at times, but when King writes suspense, he writes it so well. His imagination is also quite something.

Happy Hour in Hell by Tad Williams. I've heard that a lot of people didn't like this one, but I did. That being said, it was an uncomfortable read. However, I think that was the intention. Williams was writing about Hell. It should be an uncomfortable read. I don't mind that it was quite different from the first book. It actually reminded me a bit of The War of the Flowers, which I also enjoyed (though this one was darker).

Despite being the second book in Williams' Bobby Dollar UF trilogy, Happy in Hour was really very different. You're right Ryan in that it wasn't necessarily fun, but it did showcase Williams' incredible imagination, and I can see the comparisons with the fae world he created for The War of the Flowers.

I just finished Tooth and Claw by Jo Walton that was such a different type of book, a Regency romance in the Jane Austen style only about dragons and told by them. Easy to see why it won the World Fantasy Award. I've picked up Rachel Caine's Thief of Shadows which appears to be the story of Romeo and Juliet only told from the point of view of Benvolio Montague.

Thanks both for the Bobby Dollar info - I have just downloaded it( with gritted teeth as I am almost foreseeing nightmare) but  now I just have to know...  BTW when I say 'read' here on forum it should be understood to equate with 'listen' as I do use audible a lot, but I think other members do as well.
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #5656 on: March 21, 2015, 10:01:43 PM »
Finished Dark Star by Oliver Langmead. Brilliant read. Now debating on whether I should continue with Mr Shivers (considering absolutely nothing has happened halfway already) or if I should try my luck with more Hannu shorts.

Hmm, decisions.
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #5657 on: March 21, 2015, 10:14:24 PM »
Finished the reread of Reaper Man and in the middle of the Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents. :)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #5658 on: March 21, 2015, 10:41:29 PM »
Finished two books.

The Waste Lands by Stephen King. I almost gave up on the Dark Tower series after being disappointed with the second book. I liked this one a lot better, though. The plot grinds to a halt at times, but when King writes suspense, he writes it so well. His imagination is also quite something.

Happy Hour in Hell by Tad Williams. I've heard that a lot of people didn't like this one, but I did. That being said, it was an uncomfortable read. However, I think that was the intention. Williams was writing about Hell. It should be an uncomfortable read. I don't mind that it was quite different from the first book. It actually reminded me a bit of The War of the Flowers, which I also enjoyed (though this one was darker).

Despite being the second book in Williams' Bobby Dollar UF trilogy, Happy in Hour was really very different. You're right Ryan in that it wasn't necessarily fun, but it did showcase Williams' incredible imagination, and I can see the comparisons with the fae world he created for The War of the Flowers.

I just finished Tooth and Claw by Jo Walton that was such a different type of book, a Regency romance in the Jane Austen style only about dragons and told by them. Easy to see why it won the World Fantasy Award. I've picked up Rachel Caine's Thief of Shadows which appears to be the story of Romeo and Juliet only told from the point of view of Benvolio Montague.

Thanks both for the Bobby Dollar info - I have just downloaded it( with gritted teeth as I am almost foreseeing nightmare) but  now I just have to know...  BTW when I say 'read' here on forum it should be understood to equate with 'listen' as I do use audible a lot, but I think other members do as well.
You're not alone with the audiobook thing. I've never been able to listen to audiobooks, but it is an efficient way to get reading done. I found the 2nd Bobby Dollar book was in some ways almost like an UF updating of Dante's Inferno, hopefully that's not too spoilerish.

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #5659 on: March 21, 2015, 10:48:59 PM »
I finished both Shadow Study (the 4th Poison Study book) and Skull Throne. Skull Throne worked better for me than Daylight War. Kind of strange that neither Arlen or Jardir are in it much at all, curious to see how people end up reacting to that. (Arlen particularly)

I plan on starting The Rebirths of Tao next! :)
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5660 on: March 22, 2015, 09:41:45 AM »
Just read a few of Sanderson's short stories - Centrifugal, Defending Elysium, and Firstborn. Centrifugal was pretty awful, though he says it's one of his oldest stories. The other two were pretty good, interesting that they're sci-fi. It's weird how much better his prose is when he's writing a shorter story - seems that he cuts a lot of the crap that litters his novels - but obviously they don't benefit as much from the strength of his plotting. Will probably read some more in a bit :)
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #5661 on: March 22, 2015, 10:43:23 AM »
I'm reading Among Thieves by Douglas Hulick. So far, the thing it most reminds me of is Miller's Crossing, the Coen brothers film. Lots of double-crossing and gangland violence with a fantasy backdrop.

Offline Conan

« Reply #5662 on: March 22, 2015, 08:41:30 PM »
The Mirror Empire by Kameron Hurley

I decided to dive into this book because I have never read her work before.

I am on chapter 5 and I have to say, If this story doesn't get out of first gear soon I am going to put it back on the shelf.

The Silmarillion, was a breeze to read compared to the amount of characters being referenced to in Mirror Empire.

I feel like I did as a kid, listening to my mother or grandmother talk about how so-and-so, is related to so-and-so, and they had a kid who was married to so-and-so, and they lived next to so-and-so, who was a cousin to the nephew of so-and-so,....on and on and on

The level of world building is incredible but overwhelming.

My eyes are glazing.

Does it get better, should I go on?

c

Tied up and twisted; gnarled and knotted with wrinkles; haggardly firm and unyielding; his eyes glowing like coals, that still glow in the ashes of ruin; untottering Ahab stood forth in the clearness of the morn; lifting his splintered helmet of a brow to the fair girl's forehead of heaven.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #5663 on: March 22, 2015, 08:46:55 PM »
Yes and yes.

You may find our discussion threads helpful: http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/%28dec-2014%29-mirror-empire/
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #5664 on: March 22, 2015, 11:33:34 PM »
I find the comment about the confusion with The Mirror Empire and it's characters interesting, because I didn't really have that issue. Gardens of the Moon on the other hand, my head was spinning with that one. It was also one of the problems I had with Tooth and Claw. I knew who all the characters were, but because they had very similar names I had trouble keeping track of them all, and some of the titles were a little confusing as well.

Offline Conan

« Reply #5665 on: March 23, 2015, 12:01:10 AM »
Made it to chapter 8,

Must have been another 20 names to absorb in as many pages.

Kameron Hurley is obviously very talented, but even as the author, she must of needed a list of names propped up next to her computer while writing this story.

Sparse prose was championed by the baby-boomers, probably born out of their love of Salinger, and even though that style is extremely popular, I cannot digest it without falling asleep at the wheel.

I'm going to have to spend two hours reading Shakespeare to wash this prose out of my brain.

c
Tied up and twisted; gnarled and knotted with wrinkles; haggardly firm and unyielding; his eyes glowing like coals, that still glow in the ashes of ruin; untottering Ahab stood forth in the clearness of the morn; lifting his splintered helmet of a brow to the fair girl's forehead of heaven.

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #5666 on: March 23, 2015, 12:46:17 AM »

I had the same issue with The Mirror Empire. It wasn't until the second half of the book that it came together for me. In the early going, though, it was almost torturous at times trying to wade through all the names and information Hurley threw at the reader.

It's another one of my ambition > execution books. Not that it's badly written. I just think Hurley tried too hard at times to make everything new.

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5667 on: March 23, 2015, 03:54:27 PM »
I'm currently 11% in to Three Parts Dead by Max Gladstone, not really enjoying it much. The desciption just doesn't work for me, and keeps breaking immersion. I sometimes have to read each paragraph a few times to work out what the author is trying to portray, and the phrasing is often passive or weirdly convoluted so it just doesn't connect. Since I have an insanely long reading list I think I'll move on to something else for now and maybe come back to this later.  :-\
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #5668 on: March 24, 2015, 02:33:28 AM »
Finished Circle of Reign by Jacob Cooper. I don't read very many self-published books, but I gave this one a chance because people recommended it on another forum.

I'm glad I gave it that chance. Cooper created an interesting world filled with characters I actually liked. The plot also moved along at a good clip. There was never a dull moment.

That being said, it's still clear at times that it was self-published. There were grammar/editing issues every now and then, but I never found they distracted from the story.

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #5669 on: March 24, 2015, 11:57:27 AM »
I started Station Eleven as my audiobook. Have heard wonderful things about it, and so far so good.

I unintentionally started reading Grace of Kings and looking forward to getting back to it later today. (I just wanted to see what it was like, got sucked in and decided I am going to switch and read this. I'll finish Rebirths of Tao when I'm done. I love the Tao books, just a bit more in the mood for Grace of Kings at the moment)
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com