October 15, 2019, 12:29:37 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1768741 times)

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #4845 on: August 21, 2014, 07:46:49 PM »
Finished Watcher of the Dead by J.V. Jones. The Sword of Shadows series has been solid. It's not among my favorites, but I still like it. I wish the plotting were tighter and the pacing faster, but Jones does a good job with her world and characters. Now I'm waiting for what I think is the last book.

Offline Phil Norris

« Reply #4846 on: August 21, 2014, 09:29:57 PM »
Finished Broken Monsters by Lauren Beukes which is brilliant, now starting Blightborn by Chuck Wendig, second installment in the Heartland trilogy.
To have an idea is not enough - no matter how good the idea is.

Offline Perfidious_Albion

« Reply #4847 on: August 21, 2014, 10:17:59 PM »
I'm overloading on epic fantasy at the moment by working through Patrick Rothfuss's The Name of the Wind and also Miles Cameron's Red Knight. The latter is fairly dark in tone, which may be why I've unusually picked up a second tome to accompany it.
'What do they know of cricket who only cricket know?' - CLR James

Offline ladygreen

« Reply #4848 on: August 21, 2014, 10:51:18 PM »
Finally finished Daughter of the Forest by Juliet Marillier and immediately picked up Son of the Shadows. So far so good - I'm hooked.

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #4849 on: August 22, 2014, 01:26:33 AM »
Finally finished Daughter of the Forest by Juliet Marillier and immediately picked up Son of the Shadows. So far so good - I'm hooked.

I love Juliet Marillier!  :)
https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline ladybritches

« Reply #4850 on: August 22, 2014, 05:09:54 AM »

I love Juliet Marillier!  :)

Me too!   :)

I'm finally reading Lies of Locke Lamora (I started it weeks ago, but kept wandering off to other books). It took me about 200 pages to get into it, but now I finally understand why so many people have this on their favorites list. Consider me hooked.

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #4851 on: August 22, 2014, 04:12:22 PM »
I'm finally reading Lies of Locke Lamora (I started it weeks ago, but kept wandering off to other books). It took me about 200 pages to get into it, but now I finally understand why so many people have this on their favorites list. Consider me hooked.

I found it took me a little while to get into Lies of Locke Lamora as well, but then it got to be a lot of fun.

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Online Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #4852 on: August 22, 2014, 05:16:59 PM »
The Incorruptibles by John Hornor Jacobs   

I would describe it as a Fantasy steampunk western novel  :)
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Richard Bendall

« Reply #4853 on: August 22, 2014, 10:01:43 PM »

I found it took me a little while to get into Lies of Locke Lamora as well, but then it got to be a lot of fun.

Thanks for this. Heard good things about it and now know that it's worth sticking with if I hit a rough patch with it. Should get round to reading it in the next few weeks, work depending.
"That which is imagined can never be lost." - Clive Barker

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #4854 on: August 22, 2014, 10:17:42 PM »

Thanks for this. Heard good things about it and now know that it's worth sticking with if I hit a rough patch with it. Should get round to reading it in the next few weeks, work depending.

It took me the first 100 pages, but then I was hooked. Definitely a favorite. The second's kinda meh, but the third is amazing. Probably better than the first.

I'm currently not reading anything. Not sure when I will, to be honest.
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline Perfidious_Albion

« Reply #4855 on: August 23, 2014, 12:02:49 AM »
I loved The Lies of Locke Lamora. I lent mine to a relative who lives in the US so my hard copy is far away these days but I bought that audiobook recently and am going through it right now. Still great.
'What do they know of cricket who only cricket know?' - CLR James

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #4856 on: August 23, 2014, 08:34:35 AM »

:( poor you
(speaking from my point of view only)

I'm really enjoying Assassin's Apprentice :D I was afraid it would feel 'past its time', in the sense I should have read it years ago, to identify with 'young boy selected for great destiny' (I was almost expecting a Belgariad story), but it's not that at all, so much more than just that.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Ben

« Reply #4857 on: August 23, 2014, 09:17:22 AM »

I cannot do that. I have to be reading something. It is pure escapism for me, it helps me cope with work.

I finished Valor (I goddamn love that series) and I am onto The Crown Tower by Michael J. Sullivan. Who was very sneaky and released it and the following book without me noticing.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 09:19:59 AM by Ben »

Offline TigerBright

« Reply #4858 on: August 23, 2014, 10:44:18 AM »
Done with The Traitor Game (it's a really quick read) and back to giving Assassin's Apprentice a go. I really loved the Liveship trilogy so I'm a bit disappointed that I'm finding this one a bit of a slog so far. I'm not even halfway though so hoping it picks up.

Sent from my GT-S5570 using Tapatalk 2

I found it a slog too and have pushed on into Book 2, but not feeling it. Does the Liveship trilogy have better progression? I've heard so many good things about Robin Hobb that I don't want to give up too easily.

Yes, definitely more of a pace to it. They're third person limited and from multiple perspectives, which I think does help to move things along. There's a... sort of subplot I found a bit boring

Spoiler for Hiden:
sea serpents!

but it only takes up a small part of the whole thing. Her character arcs are fantastic in it, too.

Sent from my GT-S5570 using Tapatalk 2
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 10:46:02 AM by TigerBright »

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4859 on: August 23, 2014, 10:51:15 AM »
The Liveships is very fast paced. Multiple POVs. A lot less introspection. Etc ...
The Real Powers That Be