October 20, 2019, 07:25:12 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1773893 times)

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #4725 on: July 15, 2014, 03:54:01 AM »
Finished A Thirst for Vengeance, Part 2. More problems than the first. Hopefully the third one will be better. Hopefully, 'cause there's a good "villain" story waiting to happen.

Started Deja Vu by Ian Hocking. Not a fan of time travel, but maybe this one'll swing me over.
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline Timstar

« Reply #4726 on: July 15, 2014, 11:52:24 AM »
Started Gardens of the Moon for the very first time :O  ;D

Offline Jaedia

« Reply #4727 on: July 15, 2014, 11:49:14 PM »

I haven't read that one yet, either. Actually forgot I'd bought it until I moved and found it in a box. ;D

Offline K.S. Crooks

« Reply #4728 on: July 16, 2014, 02:59:13 PM »
Reading Ruins by Dan Wells which is the third in his Partials series. So far I get the feeling that it is building towards something unexpected, which has been the trademark for the other books. A fun read.
K.S. Crooks- Author
www.kscrooks.com

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4729 on: July 16, 2014, 07:16:11 PM »

I haven't read that one yet, either. Actually forgot I'd bought it until I moved and found it in a box. ;D
If you start it, don't forget to check our Malazan read along (well, GotM is still in the main book club section, but the others are in the read along section). :)
Same for you, Tim! (Think I already told you about it but not sure atm. :))
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Phil Norris

« Reply #4730 on: July 16, 2014, 08:13:55 PM »
Finished Hive Monkey by Gareth L Powell which is a fun read and Half A King by Joe Abercrombie which is brilliant. Now back to The Long Mars by messers Pratchett and Baxter.
To have an idea is not enough - no matter how good the idea is.

Offline Doctor_Chill

• Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #4731 on: July 16, 2014, 11:23:49 PM »
Finished Deja Vu. Pleasantly surprised, especially from a book about time travel. Had a nice explanation of it. Overall strong book.

Started The Summerlark Elf by Brandon Draga, 'cause I'm in the mood for some fun sword and sorcery.
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline Hedin

« Reply #4732 on: July 17, 2014, 01:09:21 PM »
Finished Skin Game yesterday and enjoyed it.  I think we're getting into another pivot point in the series so I'm looking forward to seeing what larger storyline the next few books will follow.

Started Half a King last night as well and I am liking it.  It's weird, I know I'm reading an Abercrombie by the writing style and all but the no cursing and relatively few deaths (at least to Abercrombian standards) is throwing me off a bit.

Online Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #4733 on: July 17, 2014, 06:22:35 PM »
Started The Gospel of Loki by Joanne Harris
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Timstar

« Reply #4734 on: July 17, 2014, 09:09:12 PM »

If you start it, don't forget to check our Malazan read along (well, GotM is still in the main book club section, but the others are in the read along section). :)
Same for you, Tim! (Think I already told you about it but not sure atm. :))

Yeah you did, but I couldn't find the GotM one! Makes sense now :)

Started The Gospel of Loki by Joanne Harris

Hope you enjoy it more than I did!

Offline Alynd

« Reply #4735 on: July 17, 2014, 11:50:50 PM »
I'm about a quarter of the way through Tower Lord. Enjoying it. Bit different from Blood Song as it has more POVs letting you get varying views/perspecitives on the larger story.

I am about half way through the Tower Lord audiobook and I am really enjoying it!   The multiple POVs are setting this up to be a complex and captivating series.  It is hard to put it down as I am really vested in the Vaelin, Frentis and Lyrna story lines.   None of the characters are perfect…. and that makes them all the more interesting.

At the same time I have also started reading my kobo version of Blood in Snow by Robert Evert.   I usually try to finish one book before I start another… but Blood in Snow just came out and as Robert Evert is a new author, I feel compelled to read his book as soon as it is published.  Blood in Snow is the third book in The Riddle in Stone series and so far it is a great as the first two books in the series.   

Both Robert Evert and Anthony Ryan are on my favourite author list along with Michael J. Sullivan, Peter V. Brett, Kevin Hearne, Brandon Sanderson and Jim Butcher.   Evert and Ryan both write page turning gritty fantasy with Ryan using intruigingly complex and compelling story lines and Evert using quirky unique fantasy laced with humour.  I would recommend both the authors and series to anyone that enjoys Sullivan, Brett, Hearne, Sanderson and Butcher.

Offline ladygreen

« Reply #4736 on: July 18, 2014, 07:40:15 PM »
About 20 pages into Daughter of the Forest by Juliet Marillier.  Beautiful writing.  Bit of a slow start, but I expect that it will pick up soon.

Offline Doctor_Chill

• Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #4737 on: July 18, 2014, 08:09:55 PM »
Finished The Summerlark Elf. Fun, and a little more twists than I expected. That's always a good thing.

Now I'm starting The Shadow Master by Craig Cormick. Tried it a while back, but never got past the first chapter. Maybe now it'll work for me.

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #4738 on: July 19, 2014, 10:40:40 PM »
About 20 pages into Daughter of the Forest by Juliet Marillier.  Beautiful writing.  Bit of a slow start, but I expect that it will pick up soon.

Great book! I was actually surprised to see that Marillier's name was not better known amongst Fantasy enthusiasts, she writes beautifully  :)

Just finished Jose Saramago's The Elephant Journey, and will now read my first comic book in years: Captain America: Winter Soldier (Vol. 1) (a portuguese newspaper is releasing  a 'classical' Marvel Comic once a week in a great quality hardcover edition for a very cheap price! :) )
https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4739 on: July 19, 2014, 10:55:13 PM »
I love her books too and I wondered the same. Maybe we should read one in book club sometime. :)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)