December 01, 2020, 06:37:46 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 2105177 times)

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • Tenacious Reader
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #4605 on: May 30, 2014, 12:05:45 AM »
I just finished the audiobook of The Three which was superb. I was a little concerned after hearing the format, but its actually one of the best audiobooks I have listened to, they did an amazing job with it (to the point that I wonder if I would have lost something if I read it instead).

My next audiobook is going to be The Boy with the Porcelain Blade. This book has not been released in the US yet, I have no idea why the audiobook is available, but I went ahead and snatched it up because I have heard great things about the book and I don't feel like waiting :)

I'm probably 3/4 of the way through The Girl with all the Gifts which is also a great read. Once I finish that, I will move on to King Rat for June's book club read.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #4606 on: May 30, 2014, 07:55:01 AM »
After finishing the Night Angel trilogy (I had to read the 3 in one go...), yesterday I finally started Emperor of Thorns ;D - it's like going back home, hehe

At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #4607 on: May 31, 2014, 01:37:11 AM »
I just finished Seanan McGuire's Sparrow Hill Road and that was excellent! Jumped to the top of my best reading for the year list. I'd read most of the stories in a slightly altered form on the website Edge of Propinquity a few years ago and I love the song Pretty Little Dead Girl by Seanan, which is where Rose seemed to first appear. A sad, sweet, scary ghost story.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Nighteyes

• Juicy dwarf/orc erotica to go.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
« Reply #4608 on: May 31, 2014, 09:38:09 AM »
I just finished Seanan McGuire's Sparrow Hill Road and that was excellent! Jumped to the top of my best reading for the year list. I'd read most of the stories in a slightly altered form on the website Edge of Propinquity a few years ago and I love the song Pretty Little Dead Girl by Seanan, which is where Rose seemed to first appear. A sad, sweet, scary ghost story.

Have no interest in ever reading anything that unpleasant woman publishes.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #4609 on: June 01, 2014, 02:53:49 PM »
 Reading Rise of Empire , by Michael J. Sullivan my last Library book to read before I head back into Malazan
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 03:01:48 PM by Eclipse »
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #4610 on: June 02, 2014, 02:37:16 PM »
Last Argument of Kings, by Joe Abercrombie!  :)
https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline Kim ten Tusscher

« Reply #4611 on: June 02, 2014, 09:08:51 PM »
I'm currently only reading books from Dutch writers. I want to pick up the Riyria books again, though, after finishing De Zwarte Troon by Peter Schaap.
Fantasy is distant from the real world. Because that’s the only way to oversee reality.

Excerpts for Hydrhaga and Bound in Darkness at: http://kimtentusscher.com/duisteren.html

Offline Ben

« Reply #4612 on: June 04, 2014, 04:52:43 PM »
Malice - John Gwynne.

Offline Nighteyes

• Juicy dwarf/orc erotica to go.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
« Reply #4613 on: June 04, 2014, 08:38:22 PM »
Just started Tigerman.  I just know I am gonna love this.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #4614 on: June 05, 2014, 12:13:03 AM »
Good week for book selections. I currently have 3 books on the go (book club book, graphic novel and audiobook).

Still happy with King Rat which I am reading with the book club.

I've started Saga #1. This is my first graphic novel after Locke and Key (which was really my first). I kept debating about trying another. I really enjoyed Locke and Key, but I also love Joe Hill's books and wasn't sure if another graphic novel would live up to that. Anyway, I'm definitely happy with this choice. So far, really enjoying it. It's also nice filler for when I don't have the time or attention span for a traditional novel.

For my audiobook, I've started Thief's Magic by Trudi Canavan. I'm doing a combination audiobook/traditional book for this. I'm about 25% the way done and enjoying it.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #4615 on: June 06, 2014, 05:45:28 PM »
Finished A Thirst for Vengeance last night. Eh. Beginning's pretty derivative of TNotW, but it improves and finds itself halfway through. Nice debut from a self-pub.

Debating whether I should finish Unwrapped Sky by Rjurik Davidson, which I started in March, jump into Morningside Fall by Jay Posey, or see what all the hububb is about in The Shadow Master by Craig Cormick.

Decisions, decisions.
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

For book reviews - https://acerbicwriting.com/

Offline Dornish First Sword

« Reply #4616 on: June 07, 2014, 12:59:37 AM »
Black Sun Rising by Celia Friedman
"Still, it may have been a blessing. He would have grown up to be a Frey" - Wyman Manderly

Offline Brother of the Sixth Order

• Godling
  • Cleverness..to be able to remember to tell a story
    • The Grim Dark Files
« Reply #4617 on: June 07, 2014, 02:11:44 PM »
I am currently reading The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss, one of my favourite fantasy novels, absolutely loving the re read as well.
There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man

Offline Lejays17

« Reply #4618 on: June 08, 2014, 08:30:14 AM »
I've just finished Warbound by Larry Correia, which i thoroughly enjoyed, even though there wasn't nearly enough of my favourite character. (it seems to be my general lot in life that I prefer secondary or tertiary characters to main one, which leaves me with a vague sense of dissatisfaction cos there wasn't enough of them.  This happens in both book & TV shows.)

Now I'm onto the shorter Hugo-nominated works, novellas are up next.  Probably Six-Gun Snow White  by Catherynne Valente.
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables you to be wrong with authority." The Doctor - Wheel in Space

"It's not destiny!  It's a crazy scientist with a giant snake!" Sinbad - For Whom the Egg Shatters

TomTheBeliever

« Reply #4619 on: June 08, 2014, 09:36:04 AM »
Reading Old Man's War by John Scalzi.

Really enjoying it, 50% in. I love his writing style, and the humour is great!!