October 30, 2020, 09:43:35 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 2089363 times)

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #4545 on: April 29, 2014, 06:02:12 PM »

Malazan is HUGELY popular, one of the top 5 Fantasy series I would say... :)

You think so? I know its readers are very vocal on some forums but if you look at the sales figures on the Wertzone and the ratings numbers on Goodreads I would think it closer #50 than #5. Which still makes it a huge and successful body of work ... but top 5 seems a considerable over-estimate.

The Wertzone has him as #156 on the (non-comprehensive) list of best selling SFF authors, ordered by sales.

Ive heard such mixed reviews that I cant bring myself to try it. My TBR cant handle another long series that id likely force myself through even if I didnt like it.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

We having a lot of fun on the read along on the malazan series  :) come and join us you know you want too  ;D

Currently reading The Fell Sword , by Miles Cameron
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Ben

« Reply #4546 on: May 03, 2014, 03:25:57 AM »
I am working on Broken Blade by Kelly McCullough. Next up will be either The Binding Knife by Brett Weeks or The Fell Sword by Miles Cameron.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 03:54:54 AM by Ben »

Offline moonspawn

« Reply #4547 on: May 03, 2014, 04:39:23 AM »

Malazan is HUGELY popular, one of the top 5 Fantasy series I would say... :)

You think so? I know its readers are very vocal on some forums but if you look at the sales figures on the Wertzone and the ratings numbers on Goodreads I would think it closer #50 than #5. Which still makes it a huge and successful body of work ... but top 5 seems a considerable over-estimate.

The Wertzone has him as #156 on the (non-comprehensive) list of best selling SFF authors, ordered by sales.

Ive heard such mixed reviews that I cant bring myself to try it. My TBR cant handle another long series that id likely force myself through even if I didnt like it.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

Right now I'm reading The Black Company and I can clearly see that Erikson drew a lot of stylistic influences from Cook. When people say that Gardens of the Moon is similar to The Black Company, I now finally understand what they mean. If you like Cook's gritty style and dialogue focused narration then there's a decent chance you'll like Erikson. From what I've read so far I think that those who are Malazan fans and haven't read Cook would probably like him too.  So yeah I wouldn't back out just because of mixed reviews. You could try samples to see if his style is for you.... but sometimes samples can be very unhelpful, especially in books with a lot of point of view changes like Malazan. In fact mixed reviews entice me when it comes to well written books because I want to see what all the controversy is about. Plus that way I know if I can give people a pat on the back for agreeing with me or subject them to severe derision for disagreeing.  ;)

Offline ladygreen

« Reply #4548 on: May 03, 2014, 04:18:25 PM »
I just started reading Wild Seed by Octavia E. Butler.  So far, I am intrigued by both Doro and Anyanwu's powers.  There is a bit of head hopping going on and sometimes I'm not entirely sure which character's perspective I should be in, but it’s very minor and hasn't bothered me much.  So far, I'm happy!

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #4549 on: May 04, 2014, 05:21:20 PM »
Started Erikson's Reaper's Gale.
"This is a brutal, harrowing novel of war, intrigue, and dark, uncontrollable magic; this is epic fantasy at its most imaginative, storytelling at its most thrilling."
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #4550 on: May 04, 2014, 06:02:42 PM »
I'm now on "Songs of the Earth", by Elspeth Cooper.
Still very much in the beginning, but showing lots of promise :D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #4551 on: May 04, 2014, 07:27:03 PM »
Been away from reading for about two months. Starting off this time with Half A King by Joe Abercrombie (my first of his in fact). I'm blown away. This is really, really good.
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

For book reviews - https://acerbicwriting.com/

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #4552 on: May 04, 2014, 07:59:15 PM »
I've been in a bit of a slump still. I'm still listening to Mayhem for the book club this month. I have started The Oversight by Charlie Fetcher. I have also read a bit of Irenicon by Aidan Harte. And a bit of Hollow World by Michael J. Sullivan. And a bit of at least one other book. I just can't seem to settle into just one. Irenicon seems very promising though.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline Nighteyes

• Juicy dwarf/orc erotica to go.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
« Reply #4553 on: May 04, 2014, 08:16:01 PM »
I've been in a bit of a slump still. I'm still listening to Mayhem for the book club this month. I have started The Oversight by Charlie Fetcher. I have also read a bit of Irenicon by Aidan Harte. And a bit of Hollow World by Michael J. Sullivan. And a bit of at least one other book. I just can't seem to settle into just one. Irenicon seems very promising though.

Itenicon is supposed to be very good.  Why not try a novel by this George RR Martin fellow? Hunter's Run?
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #4554 on: May 04, 2014, 08:18:43 PM »

Itenicon is supposed to be very good.
What I've seen so far, I have high hopes for it.

Why not try a novel by this George RR Martin fellow? Hunter's Run?
Mainly because I am trying to stick to the mountain of books I already own :)
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

Rion88

« Reply #4555 on: May 05, 2014, 02:52:00 PM »
Reading the twilight reign by Tom Lloyd, currently on the second book; "twilight herald". Gotta say, it feels kinda like reading the wheel of time, less awesome but awesome enough to keep me interested and satisfied.

Offline Stars Cascade

• Bridgeburner
  • All Knowledge is worth having
« Reply #4556 on: May 05, 2014, 06:07:40 PM »

Itenicon is supposed to be very good.
What I've seen so far, I have high hopes for it.

Why not try a novel by this George RR Martin fellow? Hunter's Run?
Mainly because I am trying to stick to the mountain of books I already own :)

I really like Irenicon.  I've read both that that and that and the that and the warring states and have the third book ready to start soon. :)

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

~ Love as thou Wilt ~

*@stars__cascade*

Offline Dessembrae

« Reply #4557 on: May 07, 2014, 07:42:14 PM »
Started Erikson's Reaper's Gale.
"This is a brutal, harrowing novel of war, intrigue, and dark, uncontrollable magic; this is epic fantasy at its most imaginative, storytelling at its most thrilling."

That's a good one! It's the book that made me a fan of Silchas Ruin.

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #4558 on: May 07, 2014, 10:09:23 PM »
I started reading Mirror Sight by Kristen Britain. About 25% the way through, enjoying it.
-- George R.R. Martin

Offline Dornish First Sword

« Reply #4559 on: May 09, 2014, 02:23:34 AM »
Working through the second of the long price quartet series at the moment and also just began reading The Red Knight a couple of nights ago.
"Still, it may have been a blessing. He would have grown up to be a Frey" - Wyman Manderly