May 26, 2020, 10:36:23 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1985875 times)

Offline Lionwalker

• Writer of Twilight Fan Fiction
  • Auror
  • Schmoking Cultist
    • View Profile
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #3540 on: May 21, 2013, 06:01:46 PM »
Put down Catch-22, having gotten 75 pages in and still lacking any sort of plot or likeable characters. Instead picked up Dante's Inferno, which is already promising to be more entertaining.

Although I'm not sure it is packed with likeable characters....

Catch-22 is rather hard to get into/make sense of, but is worth it in the end. Still has one of my favourite passages of all time:

There was only one catch and that was Catch-22, which specified that a concern for one's own safety in the face of dangers that were real and immediate was the process of a rational mind. Orr was crazy and could be grounded. All he had to do was ask; and as soon as he did, he would no longer be crazy and would have to fly more missions. Orr would be crazy to fly more missions and sane if he didn't, but if he was sane he had to fly them. If he flew them he was crazy and didn't have to; bu if he didn't want to he was sane and had to. Yossarian was moved very deeply by the absolute simplicity of this clause of Catch-22 and let out a respectful whistle.
"That's some catch, that Catch-22," he observed.
"It's the best there is, " Doc Daneeka agreed.....

Good luck with the Inferno - I took a look around, wandered around the First and Second Circles, liked what I saw, and decided to stay.
Follow me on Twitter: @_Lionwalker

Offline Lor

• Pictish Wonder
  • Master Namer
  • Queen of the Pirates
    • View Profile
    • The Marketplace of Opinions
« Reply #3541 on: May 21, 2013, 07:06:27 PM »
Wait, just the Inferno, or are you reading the whole Divine Comedy? #nerd

I'm finally making a proper job of Hyperion, and just so happen to be doing my annual reread of the Canterbury Tales at the same time :D
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye." - Miss Piggy

Offline Nighteyes

• DON'T send me Leopard Erotica!
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3542 on: May 21, 2013, 10:04:42 PM »
Finished Dune  :)

Now I'm going to finish Doomsday Book and then give The Night Circus one more try - you never know.... :)

Does Dune improve?
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Jeni

« Reply #3543 on: May 21, 2013, 10:47:57 PM »
Finished Dune  :)

Now I'm going to finish Doomsday Book and then give The Night Circus one more try - you never know.... :)

Does Dune improve?

Well I got the (brief) showdown I was looking for. But it went pretty much exactly as you expect it to. Which I liked. Might wind you up a bit though.

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #3544 on: May 21, 2013, 11:38:39 PM »
Almost finished The Big Sleep. A piece of 'meh.'

Moving on to China Mieville's The City and The City. Kinda excited for this. First China book! :)
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #3545 on: May 22, 2013, 12:02:42 AM »
I finished Bitter Blood (Morganville #13). Probably start Fall of Night (#14) tonight and then after that's done have the wait for the finale in #15.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Charlemagne

« Reply #3546 on: May 22, 2013, 02:21:09 AM »
Wait, just the Inferno, or are you reading the whole Divine Comedy? #nerd

I'm finally making a proper job of Hyperion, and just so happen to be doing my annual reread of the Canterbury Tales at the same time :D

The version I'm reading has all three books of the Divine Comedy (as well as a whole fluffload of others), so I'll read those if I like inferno enough to keep reading. Inferno is the one I really want to get through, so if I don't feel compelled to continue, then I'll kust put it down. And I fully embrace my #nerd status!

Lionwalker - that was the dilemma I had in putting the book down. Certain passages (including the one you quoted) were brilliant, genius, and often laugh-our-loud funny. But considering I got about one of those phrases a chapter, and I had been through several chapters without anything at all happening, I eventually had to euthanize the part of me that wanted to keep reading for the sake of my sanity. And the condition of the book, which was a library one.
Find me on the web at http://singmuses.wordpress.com

Offline Minion_ax

« Reply #3547 on: May 22, 2013, 12:43:54 PM »
Just got Blood and Bone on my Kindle.  Pumped.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3548 on: May 22, 2013, 02:07:58 PM »
Finished Black Lung Captain, sequel to Retribution Falls. Very good book - did anyone read the next one, Iron Jackal, yet?
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline shieldfire

« Reply #3549 on: May 22, 2013, 04:12:45 PM »
Last argument of Kings. My prior plan failed miserably. But I've really enjoyed the series.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #3550 on: May 22, 2013, 11:46:34 PM »
Finished Black Lung Captain, sequel to Retribution Falls. Very good book - did anyone read the next one, Iron Jackal, yet?
I've read Iron Jackal. Brilliant as always. If you liked the other two you'll enjoy it as well.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #3551 on: May 24, 2013, 01:11:48 AM »
Finish Stella Gemell's The City. Really enjoyed the first 75%. The last 25% was ok, but based on the first part, I think it could have been better.

Starting Sarah Pinborough's Poison next.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline Jeni

« Reply #3552 on: May 24, 2013, 02:17:15 AM »
Read Donaldson's Gap into Conflict: The Real Story today.

Kind of wish I hadn't..... :-\ :o :(

Offline Feoreunn

« Reply #3553 on: May 24, 2013, 02:44:25 AM »
Finished "Memories Of Ice". The strongest in the Malazan series so far. Coherent, gripping, and full of wonderful character moments.

On to "House Of Chains", while I wait for my delayed order of "Blood Meridian" and "American Gods".
"I long to write a tale that differs from what others wrote."

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #3554 on: May 24, 2013, 02:45:29 AM »
Well, I put down The City and The City. Really didn't like the book after the first 1/3 of it. And other reasons.

Moving on to a much funnier, darker book. Kill the Dead by Richard Kadrey. Hoping the sequel is better than the first.
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky