February 25, 2020, 07:53:11 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 1905387 times)

Offline simonster

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #2655 on: December 11, 2012, 01:44:02 PM »
Finished Mockingjay.  I thought it was more straightforward than the second book, except for the ending which is...  ouch.  Overall The Hunger Games is the most gripped I've been by books in some years.

Next up, a re-read of The Catcher in the Rye.  From one troubled seventeen-year-old to another.

Offline Jeni

« Reply #2656 on: December 11, 2012, 03:07:42 PM »

I'm now about 1/3 into Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas, which is good so far.

I've had my eye on that one for a while - its on my Christmas list for Santa  :)

Offline Idlewilder

« Reply #2657 on: December 11, 2012, 04:17:26 PM »
I finished Flowers for Algernon last night. Probably going to start Ender's Game tonight. Also listening to The Strange Affair of Spring-Heeled Jack on audiobook. I'm hoping to get a head start on next month's book club reads too, as once A Memory of Light comes out, I'll be no good for reading anything else.  :D
Make Another World.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2658 on: December 11, 2012, 05:15:19 PM »
I'm hoping to get a head start on next month's book club reads too, as once A Memory of Light comes out, I'll be no good for reading anything else.  :D
I failed to get vacations for this. Tough. ;)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline DiscoGobbo

« Reply #2659 on: December 11, 2012, 06:49:38 PM »
I'm approximately 37.4% of the way through The Name of the Wind. It's strange. I recognize that the book is well-constructed and beautifully written, but so far I feel rather ambivalent towards it. This kind of situation becomes a meta-game for me. While reading, I'm trying to determine the exact reason something is "not clicking".
I had much the same reaction to it.

Perhaps I read/heard too much hype, both online and off.
My debut fantasy novel, Valkwitch, is now released in ebook form! Neato!
You can find more info and the first two chapters Here.

Twitter: https://twitter.com/M_L_Watson

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #2660 on: December 11, 2012, 06:55:54 PM »
I'm approximately 37.4% of the way through The Name of the Wind. It's strange. I recognize that the book is well-constructed and beautifully written, but so far I feel rather ambivalent towards it. This kind of situation becomes a meta-game for me. While reading, I'm trying to determine the exact reason something is "not clicking".

I know some people had a disconnect with it because Kvothe was just too good at everything. You're certainly not the first person to not love the book :)
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline DiscoGobbo

« Reply #2661 on: December 11, 2012, 09:09:13 PM »

I know some people had a disconnect with it because Kvothe was just too good at everything. You're certainly not the first person to not love the book :)

Yes. That is my main issue right now. I'll still finish the book, though. I'm not that disgruntled with it.
My debut fantasy novel, Valkwitch, is now released in ebook form! Neato!
You can find more info and the first two chapters Here.

Twitter: https://twitter.com/M_L_Watson

Offline Wooly_FY71

• Night Angel
  • I swear I don't have koumpounophobia, Mr Gaiman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2662 on: December 12, 2012, 03:53:17 AM »
Whoo...getting through Path of Daggers and the rest of WoT before AMoL comes by....but in between am reading Dickens' Christmas Carol, and The Blade Itself (finally haha). If I get a chance, I wanna start War of the Flowers by Tad Williams seeing as I found it at Dymocks the other day at a steal price.
32,000 words into my novel. Goal is 120,000!

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #2663 on: December 12, 2012, 04:43:01 AM »
Oh definitely read The War of the Flowers. That's one of my favourite books.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Dornish First Sword

« Reply #2664 on: December 12, 2012, 11:08:21 AM »
Control Point by Myke Cole has been on my list to get to for awhile now so starting that right now and very much looking forward to it.
"Still, it may have been a blessing. He would have grown up to be a Frey" - Wyman Manderly

Offline Wooly_FY71

• Night Angel
  • I swear I don't have koumpounophobia, Mr Gaiman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2665 on: December 12, 2012, 11:45:42 AM »
Oh definitely read The War of the Flowers. That's one of my favourite books.

Definitely! Just gotta try and squeeze it in between two WoT books :p !

Control Point by Myke Cole has been on my list to get to for awhile now so starting that right now and very much looking forward to it.

It's a great book! There are flaws, for sure, but it is clever and good fun at the same time. Bit like a blur between scifi and fantasy with Military fiction.
32,000 words into my novel. Goal is 120,000!

Offline hyptonize

« Reply #2666 on: December 12, 2012, 01:48:49 PM »
I still don't know if joining FF was a good thing. I already was overwhelmed by the number of books I could read and I want to read, and by visiting this forum I add more books every single day. Don't know where to begin! :P

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #2667 on: December 12, 2012, 01:52:08 PM »
I still don't know if joining FF was a good thing. I already was overwhelmed by the number of books I could read and I want to read, and by visiting this forum I add more books every single day. Don't know where to begin! :P
he he he ... I know the feeling. But on the plus side, the books I find here are usually so worth the read! I was getting some not so great recommendations from other sources.    ;D
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #2668 on: December 12, 2012, 10:04:43 PM »
I finished Agatha H and the Clockwork Princess and started Enders Game for the SF Book Club (get onto it, people). Hypnotize, I think it's part of the FF charter that we will do our best to make your TBR pile explode. :)
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Neaughea

« Reply #2669 on: December 13, 2012, 03:14:33 AM »
Hey everyone! I just started reading Raven's Heart by M.S. Verish. I just finished Elfhunter by C.S. Marks - Loved it, would read it again but it's too soon. It very much appealed to my yearning for Epic Fantasy and a strong female character that wasn't indestructible, but very strong.