April 12, 2021, 08:11:39 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 2170385 times)

Offline Nighteyes

• Juicy dwarf/orc erotica to go.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #14430 on: April 01, 2021, 10:37:59 AM »
Finished Starts! My Destination. Started Shadow of the Torturer (Book #1 of Book of the New Sun).

Started and finished Amok by Zweig. Also started Zorba by Kazancakis.

http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/(jul2012)-the-book-of-the-new-sun/

Good luck with that read , no one enjoyed it much here. Nearly as bad as The Darkness that came before the worst book club read in history here.

I enjoyed it
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Rostum

• Strange Turnip Person and He Who Waits
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #14431 on: April 01, 2021, 07:06:52 PM »
DNF'd BLackmark the Kingsman Chronicles 1 at <10%Found this on my Kindle (don't recall buying it) made no sense to me and felt research was lacking into the most mundane of things.

Just got a new kindle.

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

• Master Namer
    • Goodreads Author Profile
« Reply #14432 on: April 02, 2021, 06:28:13 AM »
I knew I was losing the battle against Rhythm of War when yesterday, while I was reading it, I was so distracted I went to read a grocery store receipt instead of Rhythm of War. I'm DNF'ing the book until the 5th book came out and it's actually good, or I've ran out of anything else to read.

I'm starting Guards Guards! by Terry Pratchett.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 06:31:00 AM by S. K. Inkslinger »

Offline Neveesandeh

• Ambient Mage
« Reply #14433 on: April 02, 2021, 09:03:59 AM »
I've started a re-read of Tom Pollock's 'Skyscraper Throne'. I haven't got that far in, but I'm enjoying it.

I hope it's as good as I remember, because I have to read Ayn Rand next and I want to remember that good books still exist.

Offline DrNefario

• Valheru
« Reply #14434 on: April 03, 2021, 01:10:46 PM »
DNF'd BLackmark the Kingsman Chronicles 1 at <10%Found this on my Kindle (don't recall buying it) made no sense to me and felt research was lacking into the most mundane of things.

Just got a new kindle.
I think I remember that being a freebie giveaway. I haven't read it, but it stuck in my mind because I was reading books with Black in the title at the time and I thought it might come in handy.

Offline Bender

• Gentleman Bastard
« Reply #14435 on: April 03, 2021, 01:23:00 PM »
Just started the new Thrawn.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline HLTinsley

• Tribute
« Reply #14436 on: April 03, 2021, 01:38:05 PM »
I managed to find some time for reading yesterday after a manic few weeks, just started Tim Hardie's Hall of Bones and so far it's very enjoyable. Seven chapters in and looking forward to getting a few more read tonight.

Online Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Kingkiller
  • Bookworm first, human second.
« Reply #14437 on: April 04, 2021, 07:14:20 PM »
Almost finished Arkady Martine's A Desolation Called Peace. Absolutely living up to the promise of the first book, and probably my favourite book of 2021 so far.

I'm trying to wrap up a few series this month before I start something new, but we'll see how that goes.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #14438 on: April 07, 2021, 10:13:11 PM »
I finished the Daevabad trilogy (recommended!), finished Becky Chambers' new book the galaxy and the grounds within - recommended if you liked records of a starborn few, Piranesi (recommended) and have nearlys finished a reread of the long way to a small angry planet.

After that I'll either start Paternus, the City We Became, Fireheart Tiger or Senlin Ascends. Anybody an opinion with which book I should start? :)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
« Reply #14439 on: April 07, 2021, 11:04:20 PM »
The City We Became by NKJ is awesome if you enjoy characters at least as much as plot and are interested in New York.  I was utterly wrapped up in these characters  wanted to meet them all  even the baddies. A concept just very faintly reminiscent of A City Dreaming by Daniel Polansky but far, far less overtly violent, while still have having harsh facts driven home. And with humour. If this muddled comment doesn't put you right off, think you would enjoy. :)
If possible read very short The City Born Great  first, but not obligatory. 

« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 11:26:11 PM by Lady Ty »
Asking you to give me equal rights implies that they are yours to give.  Instead, I must demand that you stop trying to deny me the rights all people deserve"  ~Elizabeth Peratrovich~

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

• Master Namer
    • Goodreads Author Profile
« Reply #14440 on: April 08, 2021, 04:41:36 AM »
I just finished reading Guards! Guards! by Sir Terry Pratchett. 4 ish/5 stars. Another great and hilarious by Pratchett, although I think I do prefer Mort more. The setting and cast of Guards! Guards! does seem to make a good basis for a long series though, and they're already a loveable crew.

I've just started reading Red Rising by Pierce Brown. I've got stuck twice reading the first few pages of this book, feeling that the MC is such an arrogant edgelord. After two tries I finally made it through, but even around 50 pages in I still felt everything is pretty darn cliche in the dystopian YA style and I could probably predict the story until the end of the series. I hope it'll get better.

Offline isos81

• Kingkiller
« Reply #14441 on: April 08, 2021, 06:58:38 AM »
I finished the Daevabad trilogy (recommended!), finished Becky Chambers' new book the galaxy and the grounds within - recommended if you liked records of a starborn few, Piranesi (recommended) and have nearlys finished a reread of the long way to a small angry planet.

After that I'll either start Paternus, the City We Became, Fireheart Tiger or Senlin Ascends. Anybody an opinion with which book I should start? :)

Paternus is a great choice if you are into mythology.
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline cupiscent

• Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • an nonsense
    • viscerate.com
« Reply #14442 on: April 08, 2021, 12:17:36 PM »
After having a great time re-reading Megan Whalen Turner's entire Queen's Thief series (so good; fantastic characters with sharp edges, plus the finest considerations of what a "Prince" should be since Machiavelli, for my money, but without making a grimdark point about it) I am now starting Ed McDonald's Blackwing. (I'm all of 18 pages in and going, "ehhhh I dunno about this," but I am going to persevere for a bit and give it a chance.)

Offline Peat

• Master Namer
« Reply #14443 on: April 08, 2021, 02:36:02 PM »
After having a great time re-reading Megan Whalen Turner's entire Queen's Thief series (so good; fantastic characters with sharp edges, plus the finest considerations of what a "Prince" should be since Machiavelli, for my money, but without making a grimdark point about it) I am now starting Ed McDonald's Blackwing. (I'm all of 18 pages in and going, "ehhhh I dunno about this," but I am going to persevere for a bit and give it a chance.)

You heard of Beaton's The Councillor?
This is the blog of Peat - https://peatlong.wordpress.com/

Offline Neveesandeh

• Ambient Mage
« Reply #14444 on: April 08, 2021, 04:14:13 PM »
So, to my utter lack of surprise, 'Atlas Shrugged' has turned out to be an utter chore to get through.