April 11, 2021, 07:39:31 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 2170009 times)

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #14385 on: March 03, 2021, 03:25:02 PM »
@DrNefario , mine's a republishing from 2020, with a really cool intro by Scott Lynch.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Rostum

• Strange Turnip Person and He Who Waits
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #14386 on: March 04, 2021, 07:13:11 AM »
mine's a republishing from 2020, with a really cool intro by Scott Lynch.

Ahh so Scott has written something in recent years then.

Online ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #14387 on: March 04, 2021, 08:09:54 AM »
oooh nasty ;D
(it's only 5 pages long, though, hehe)

Offline Bender

• Gentleman Bastard
« Reply #14388 on: March 06, 2021, 01:50:03 AM »
The Maleficent Seven by Cameron Johnston

An awesome book from Cam! Roller coaster of a adventure. So much fun. 9/10

Fugitive Telemetry (Murderbot Diaries #6)

Murderbot rolls on as usual. In a twist of irony Murerbot turns detecting in a whudunit investigating....a murder! 8/10
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline CameronJohnston

• Great Old One
  • Auror
    • Cameron Writes
« Reply #14389 on: March 06, 2021, 08:50:44 AM »

Murderbot rolls on as usual. In a twist of irony Murerbot turns detecting in a whudunit investigating....a murder! 8/10

SO glad you enjoyed it! This is such a nerveracking point, waiting to see if people think it's total shit or not...

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

• Master Namer
    • Goodreads Author Profile
« Reply #14390 on: March 06, 2021, 10:06:30 AM »

SO glad you enjoyed it! This is such a nerveracking point, waiting to see if people think it's total shit or not...

Oh hell I'd just read the summary for this and it sounded really interesting! When would we be able to get the book in paperback, Cam?  :D

Online ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #14391 on: March 06, 2021, 10:20:19 AM »

Oh hell I'd just read the summary for this and it sounded really interesting! When would we be able to get the book in paperback, Cam?  :D
August!
*counts days*

This morning I started Black sun by Rebecca Roanhorse: 2 chapters in, it's got LOTS of possibilities :D

Offline CameronJohnston

• Great Old One
  • Auror
    • Cameron Writes
« Reply #14392 on: March 06, 2021, 08:03:12 PM »

Yup yup, it's out on August 10th! Quite a while yet.

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #14393 on: March 06, 2021, 11:16:24 PM »

August!
*counts days*

This morning I started Black sun by Rebecca Roanhorse: 2 chapters in, it's got LOTS of possibilities :D
Trail of Lightning and Storm of Locusts by Roanhorse were both quite good. I look forward to Black Sun.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Online ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #14394 on: March 07, 2021, 09:27:48 AM »
Trail of Lightning and Storm of Locusts by Roanhorse were both quite good. I look forward to Black Sun.
This is the first I'm reading from her.
The story and worldbuilding, and most of the characters, are very good, I keep wanting to know/read more, but one thing that is REALLY getting to me are some words.
I'm used to invented names, races and places, after all, that's the bread-and-butter of SFF: but invented grammar (at least I assume they're invented)? That is super grating, and my brain just blocks and stumbles on those sentences (to the point where I'm mentally replacing them with the normal words, just for ease of reading). Maybe those words are now normal amongst the "young crowd", who knows, but for this middle-aged woman it does look just like invented things, hehe

Offline cupiscent

• Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • an nonsense
    • viscerate.com
« Reply #14395 on: March 07, 2021, 10:51:58 AM »
...but one thing that is REALLY getting to me are some words.
I'm used to invented names, races and places, after all, that's the bread-and-butter of SFF: but invented grammar (at least I assume they're invented)? That is super grating, and my brain just blocks and stumbles on those sentences (to the point where I'm mentally replacing them with the normal words, just for ease of reading). Maybe those words are now normal amongst the "young crowd", who knows, but for this middle-aged woman it does look just like invented things, hehe

Now I'm really curious!

Offline DrNefario

• Valheru
« Reply #14396 on: March 08, 2021, 01:49:41 PM »
Finished Alphabet of Thorn by Patricia A McKillip. It was great. Just what I needed, I think. Still has that odd fairytaleness that much of McKillip's writing has.

I've moved on to the post-apocalyptic (a pandemic, even) School's Out by Scott K Andrews. This was a giveaway from Rebellion a while ago, and has since been made into a film by their new studio. Occasionally unpleasant, often funny, I'm liking it so far.

Offline DrNefario

• Valheru
« Reply #14397 on: March 09, 2021, 02:02:42 PM »
And I finished School's Out last night, thanks to it being quite short, easy to read, and me having a bout of insomnia. It's not deep, but it hit the spot, and I enjoyed it.

Back to the Crown of Stars readalong next, with In the Ruins (#6) by Kate Elliott.

Online ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #14398 on: March 13, 2021, 10:37:21 AM »
This is the first I'm reading from her.
The story and worldbuilding, and most of the characters, are very good, I keep wanting to know/read more, but one thing that is REALLY getting to me are some words.

I finished this one last night, and I'm happy to report that the above reduced in importance and my brain adjusted, hehe
It's a great book, and I love the mishmash of cultures, mostly aztec/inca type. The main characters are great, and I loved Xiala, the Teek ship captain - I want a book just with her, hehe
However....
It's very much NOT a standalone book, despite what some reviews say >:( yes, there is some closure, but it's more a "chapter/short story closure" than a "main story closure". And book 2 only comes out (hardcover) in March 2022, so it'll be a good 18 months until I read book 2 :-\

I've now started The binding by Bridget Collins, which I thought it was a sort of historical fiction but it's looking to be a lot magic fantasy/fairytale in the likes of Naomi Novik (off-Temeraire)!

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #14399 on: March 14, 2021, 04:36:43 AM »
Soooo... while I passionately hate the way that the Hero's Journey and the monomyth has made it into writing orthodoxy, I'm reading Pathways to Bliss, edited speeches by Joseph Campbell. It goes into what makes myth and mythological figures different from stories, and how they play into how we shape and actively transform our lives as individuals.