April 11, 2021, 11:29:54 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 2170073 times)

Offline abatch

• Builder
    • Immortal Treachery
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #14370 on: February 25, 2021, 07:09:22 PM »
Prince of Thorns, by WhatsHisName

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #14371 on: February 25, 2021, 08:53:13 PM »
Started Empire of Gold. Curious how this whole mess gets resolved...
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #14372 on: February 26, 2021, 02:05:55 AM »
You need to write down the author, or is that a trick to make us google it, hehe?
I've heard about that trilogy, what are the high points? Or actually, maybe answer only after you finish it!
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #14373 on: February 27, 2021, 06:08:51 PM »
You need to write down the author, or is that a trick to make us google it, hehe?
I've heard about that trilogy, what are the high points? Or actually, maybe answer only after you finish it!
I think I mentioned so often that I'm reading the trilogy starting with City of Brass at the moment, that it wouldn't have been useful information for anyone anymore. ;)

It's a great story of political intrigue, treason, magic, love, conquest, segregation and doing the right things for the wrong reasons and the wrong things for the right reasons. Highly recommended.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline DrNefario

• Valheru
« Reply #14374 on: February 27, 2021, 07:31:42 PM »
I finished Orconomics by J Zachary Pike. I really liked it. It didn't end up going how I expected, and I'm interested to see where it goes in the next book.

I've started Forerunner: The Second Venture by Andre Norton, mainly just to tidy up a half-finished omnibus. I remember quite liking the first book when I read it several years ago, but this one is not really clicking with me so far. I'm kind of sliding off the writing style. It's pretty short, though, so I'll probably power through.

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

• Master Namer
    • Goodreads Author Profile
« Reply #14375 on: February 28, 2021, 03:30:29 AM »
Finished reading the Daughter of Smoke and Bone trilogy by Laini Taylor and thought it was a pretty damn good YA fantasy series. Now ends my filler reading episodes between Malazan books, and I'm moving onwards to Memories of Ice8)

Offline cupiscent

• Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • an nonsense
    • viscerate.com
« Reply #14376 on: February 28, 2021, 05:20:30 AM »
Finished reading the Daughter of Smoke and Bone trilogy by Laini Taylor and thought it was a pretty damn good YA fantasy series.

If you enjoyed that, I highly recommend Laini Taylor's Strange the Dreamer, which is a second-world fantasy (not urban fantasy) with that same lush, brutal, romantic (in all senses) tone.

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

• Master Namer
    • Goodreads Author Profile
« Reply #14377 on: February 28, 2021, 07:51:38 AM »
Finished reading the Daughter of Smoke and Bone trilogy by Laini Taylor and thought it was a pretty damn good YA fantasy series.

If you enjoyed that, I highly recommend Laini Taylor's Strange the Dreamer, which is a second-world fantasy (not urban fantasy) with that same lush, brutal, romantic (in all senses) tone.

Oh that sounds good! I've already ordered both books of Strange the Dreamer from my usual store, but unfortunately their book 1 ran out and I only got the 2 book. From what you've said I think I'll just get book 1 from Amazon or somewhere, hahah.  :D Thanks for the rec cupi.

Offline Nighteyes

• Juicy dwarf/orc erotica to go.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
« Reply #14378 on: February 28, 2021, 10:47:53 PM »
I have avoided The Three body problem as it was described to me as perfect. I am likely to be disappointed but only a little.

I think I have the whole trilogy on my kindle to read.  The thing that puts me off is I hear it is quite nationalistic and pro China. 

I am reading Revenger by Alastair Reynolds.  Quite different to the other books I have read by him.  He is usually very hard science while this is quite accessible.  Though the world building as always is incredible.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline isos81

• Kingkiller
« Reply #14379 on: March 01, 2021, 06:39:18 AM »
I have avoided The Three body problem as it was described to me as perfect. I am likely to be disappointed but only a little.

I think I have the whole trilogy on my kindle to read.  The thing that puts me off is I hear it is quite nationalistic and pro China. 

I am reading Revenger by Alastair Reynolds.  Quite different to the other books I have read by him.  He is usually very hard science while this is quite accessible.  Though the world building as always is incredible.

I loved that book! Certainly recommended.
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline DrNefario

• Valheru
« Reply #14380 on: March 01, 2021, 04:34:07 PM »
I finished Forerunner: The Second Venture by Andre Norton. It seemed completely unnecessary. Lots of pointless to-ing and fro-ing to no particular end. At least it was mercifully short and I could just power through and cross it off.

I've started Alphabet of Thorn by Patricia A McKillip. Early days, but I really like it so far. It has casually magical stuff in it, like the huge library built into the cliff under the castle, and the Floating School of magic. You forget how some books make the fantastic mundane.

Offline cupiscent

• Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • an nonsense
    • viscerate.com
« Reply #14381 on: March 01, 2021, 11:22:16 PM »
I've started Alphabet of Thorn by Patricia A McKillip. Early days, but I really like it so far. It has casually magical stuff in it, like the huge library built into the cliff under the castle, and the Floating School of magic. You forget how some books make the fantastic mundane.

I really enjoyed this one. I read it a while back, on a pass through various older American spec-fic authors I didn't have access to when younger (through Australian/UK markets) and yes, you hit it there, with the casually-magic. It's full of wonder, but grounded in people-living-their-lives.

Offline isos81

• Kingkiller
« Reply #14382 on: March 02, 2021, 06:23:13 AM »
Finished Red Rising, started Stars My Destination.
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #14383 on: March 03, 2021, 08:14:30 AM »
I've now started The dragon waiting by John M. Ford, a classic that was recommended/mentioned by @cupiscent somewhere around here hehe

55 pages in, it's got super promise!

Finished this yesterday and it doesn't disappoint, totally for fans of historical fantasy!
There's real kings and the Medici, wizards and vampires, and an amazing female doctor.

It's very compact, I don't think we're used to this anymore (just under 400 pages), and I can easily see where it could have been expanded - but in a way, it's a better book for being short.

It can be confusing at times: it seems that in the 16th century english royal/noble families, there were only 3 names, Richard, Edward and Henry (*), so there are a few of those running around and sometimes I didn't know who was who, but you just go with the flow, hehe

So thanks @cupiscent for having mentioned it, it was totally my cup of tea!
Have you read Mary Gentle's Ash? It feels similar, in a way (although that one is a monster of a book hehe)

(* Sharon Penman, in her historical fiction books on the same period, starts the books by talking about this, and choosing to either use Dick, Richie and other shortened names, or changing a few names altogether hehe)

I now started Matt Haig's The midnight library, a mixture of fiction, fantasy/imaginary world and mental health support :D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline DrNefario

• Valheru
« Reply #14384 on: March 03, 2021, 02:31:23 PM »
I have the old Fantasy Masterworks version of The Dragon Waiting, and I'm pretty sure I've read it but remember almost nothing about it.