March 07, 2021, 08:41:31 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 2149292 times)

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #14355 on: February 21, 2021, 10:07:03 AM »
I've now started The dragon waiting by John M. Ford, a classic that was recommended/mentioned by @cupiscent somewhere around here hehe

55 pages in, it's got super promise!
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline cupiscent

• Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • an nonsense
    • viscerate.com
« Reply #14356 on: February 21, 2021, 10:25:56 AM »
I've now started The dragon waiting by John M. Ford, a classic that was recommended/mentioned by @cupiscent somewhere around here hehe

55 pages in, it's got super promise!

Hope you enjoy! I was so confused at so many points in that book, but it's an amazing piece of work. (And the great thing about it being a classic is that there is a lot of discussion and annotation and help available on the internet for everything from little details to what the hell just happened to who the heck these people are. ;D )

Online ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #14357 on: February 21, 2021, 10:50:42 AM »
I'm reading a new edition that's got an introduction by Scott Lynch, about 6-7 pages that do a wonderful job setting the scene and preparing the reader for what's coming. Having read Sharon Penman's historical fiction books about that period also helped in knowing a bit more background to the first chapter.

I'll keep an eye out for that help you mention though, thanks.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 12:25:07 PM by ScarletBea »

Offline cupiscent

• Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • an nonsense
    • viscerate.com
« Reply #14358 on: February 21, 2021, 09:48:47 PM »
You are probably so much more prepared for the book than I was then. ;D

Offline DrNefario

• Valheru
« Reply #14359 on: February 22, 2021, 12:43:21 PM »
Quote from: DrNefario link=topic=104.msg21author=DrNefario2573#msg212573 date=1613848764

I've started Orconomics by J Zachary Pike, and I'm enjoying it so far.

That's a great book!
I was expecting something kind of like Making Money by Terry Pratchett, from the title, but in fact it reminds me more of Kings of the Wyld. Where Kings of the Wyld is a straight-up adventure romp viewed through the lens of music - getting the Band back together - Orconomics seems to be a straight-up adventure romp viewed through the lens of economics - does a loot-based economy work?

I'm about half-way through, now, and it's much better than I was expecting. And I was already expecting it to be good. I hope it keeps it up.

(I'm pretty sure I've spotted where the 7th Hero stuff is going, but that doesn't matter. I'm looking forward to seeing it unfold.)

Online Rostum

• Strange Turnip Person and He Who Waits
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #14360 on: February 22, 2021, 02:08:58 PM »
Finished The Deathles by Peter Newman which was very good and started Brother Red by Adrian Selby

Online ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #14361 on: February 22, 2021, 02:40:19 PM »
Finished The Deathles by Peter Newman which was very good
I also really enjoyed that one, although most of the details are now escaping me (as usual!). I've got book 2 unread at home, and I wonder if I should re-read book 1 before book 3 is published (in paperback) in April, read the three in one go...

Offline Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Kingkiller
  • Bookworm first, human second.
« Reply #14362 on: February 22, 2021, 07:21:24 PM »
I'm in a real fantasy drought at the moment. Only fantasy I've read this year was Brian Lee Durfee's The Forgetting Moon, which just felt like terry brooks with unnecessary sex and violence. I've got Devin Madson and K.S. Villoso in my tbr stack, so hopefully at least one of those is better.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Online Bender

• Gentleman Bastard
« Reply #14363 on: February 22, 2021, 11:10:04 PM »
I was expecting something kind of like Making Money by Terry Pratchett, from the title, but in fact it reminds me more of Kings of the Wyld. Where Kings of the Wyld is a straight-up adventure romp viewed through the lens of music - getting the Band back together - Orconomics seems to be a straight-up adventure romp viewed through the lens of economics - does a loot-based economy work?

Since I work in finance, I recognize lots of the events he has twisted. Goldson Blaggs was a laugh!

When I wrote the review, I actually compared it to Making Money too.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline isos81

• Kingkiller
« Reply #14364 on: February 23, 2021, 12:35:37 PM »
Has anyone heard of Turkish author Hakan Gunday? I just read one of his books (The Few), and it was mind-blowing. Depressed, chaotic, but displaying the harsh truths of life. Some events even occur in UK.

Here is the link in case you want to check it out: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/34713608-the-few?ac=1&from_search=true&qid=9ZekfuJ8VA&rank=2
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline cupiscent

• Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • an nonsense
    • viscerate.com
« Reply #14365 on: February 23, 2021, 10:07:10 PM »
I started reading Tessa Gratton's The Queens of Innis Lear, but I've been bouncing off the first ten pages. It seems like a big, epic, mythic, eldritch piece of work, and I'm not quite sure I have enough brain to grapple with it right now. Anyone else read it and have thoughts?

I'm going to try reading something else first and see if I do better when I'm not wrangling a sick kid. So I'm going back to my Queen's Thief re-read, now up to King of Attolia.

Online Bender

• Gentleman Bastard
« Reply #14366 on: February 24, 2021, 12:03:15 AM »
Has anyone heard of Turkish author Hakan Gunday? I just read one of his books (The Few), and it was mind-blowing. Depressed, chaotic, but displaying the harsh truths of life. Some events even occur in UK.

Here is the link in case you want to check it out: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/34713608-the-few?ac=1&from_search=true&qid=9ZekfuJ8VA&rank=2

Wow, the blurb is depressing enough. Definitely way out of my zone.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline isos81

• Kingkiller
« Reply #14367 on: February 24, 2021, 07:10:19 AM »

Wow, the blurb is depressing enough. Definitely way out of my zone.

It is, but I loved the book. Loved the way the author used every aspect of life in order to tell how miserable life can be. The ending is also quite well, sort of happy ending. You might give it a try.
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Online Bender

• Gentleman Bastard
« Reply #14368 on: February 24, 2021, 04:00:00 PM »
My life already has enough misery  ;D I've actually been migrating towards more happier and easier reads gradually.

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

• Master Namer
    • Goodreads Author Profile
« Reply #14369 on: February 25, 2021, 03:46:58 AM »
My life already has enough misery  ;D I've actually been migrating towards more happier and easier reads gradually.

+1 for this hahah. Real life sucked enough as it is.