March 02, 2021, 02:04:52 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 2146864 times)

Online isos81

• Kingkiller
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #14265 on: January 16, 2021, 05:09:57 PM »
Finished Fablehaven. Man, what a let down. Started Lord of Light.

Never heard of Fablehaven is it a spfbo finalist?

Lord of Light the Roger Zelazny story or the Kathryn Le Veque  one?

Zelazny not let me down yet.

Fablehaven this one: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/44652.Fablehaven

Lord of Light by Zelazny.
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #14266 on: January 20, 2021, 02:29:26 PM »
I finsihed the Shadow campaigns and now I think I'll start...

*looks at unread books at home*

Philip Pullman's The Secret Commonwealth.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Neveesandeh

• Ambient Mage
« Reply #14267 on: January 20, 2021, 07:37:24 PM »
A friend lent me one of the Warhammer 40k Horus Heresy books, so I've been reading that. After that, I'm going to try and finish the Witcher books before Joseph Anderson completes his video on the Witcher 3.

Offline cupiscent

• Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • an nonsense
    • viscerate.com
« Reply #14268 on: January 21, 2021, 06:09:27 AM »
Tossing in a note that I'm currently reading Robyn Bennis's The Guns Above and loving it so much. It's got the military-logistics fascination of Wexler's Shadow Campaigns, or Novik's Temeraire, with steam-airship shenanigans, and some madcap crew snarking that puts me almost in mind of the Ketty Jay books (not quite that dysfunctional, this is the army after all!) It's a great combination of gritty armed conflict and sass.

Online isos81

• Kingkiller
« Reply #14269 on: January 21, 2021, 06:46:53 AM »
Finished Lord of Light, fantastic read. Started Piranesi, going very nice so far (%35 into it).
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

Offline Rostum

• Strange Turnip Person and He Who Waits
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #14270 on: January 21, 2021, 03:19:49 PM »
Finished The First 15 Lives of Harry August. Which was ok but seemed too long for it's own good.

Started Glasshouse by Charlie Stross on kindle which is excellent so far.

Started overlord A Japanese stuck in the game trope so far. The translation feels very American Japanese (from my limited experience) as the phrasing is very western. The book itself is beautiful from the cover art to black pages prior to the prologue.

Online isos81

• Kingkiller
« Reply #14271 on: January 21, 2021, 07:32:11 PM »
Finished Piranesi, very nice read. Didn't decide next read, could be Perdido Street Station.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #14272 on: January 22, 2021, 07:23:34 PM »
Philip Pullman's The Secret Commonwealth.
It feels great to be back with Lyra and a daemons-filled world!
She's around 20 now, and there's definitely a more adult vibe.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Online Magnus Hedén

• High Lord of commas and Grand Master of semicolons
  • Bridgeburner
  • My name is Magnus. I make stuff up.
« Reply #14273 on: January 22, 2021, 08:17:13 PM »
Finished Piranesi, very nice read. Didn't decide next read, could be Perdido Street Station.

Yes, and yes.

Finished Lord of Light, fantastic read. Started Piranesi, going very nice so far (%35 into it).

And yes! I'm reading that now too. :)

Offline cupiscent

• Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • an nonsense
    • viscerate.com
« Reply #14274 on: January 23, 2021, 12:32:52 AM »
Because I cannot yet watch the television series, but Rege-Jean Page is so pretty, I am having a go at reading the Bridgerton books. The first one is very silly, and I am sure the show will be better, but it's fun to read, and it requires absolutely no brain, which is good because my kid has been wretchedly sick for the past 36 hours and I have no brain available, so it's all working out...

Online Peat

• Master Namer
« Reply #14275 on: January 23, 2021, 01:26:54 AM »
Because I cannot yet watch the television series, but Rege-Jean Page is so pretty, I am having a go at reading the Bridgerton books. The first one is very silly, and I am sure the show will be better, but it's fun to read, and it requires absolutely no brain, which is good because my kid has been wretchedly sick for the past 36 hours and I have no brain available, so it's all working out...

The book must be incredibly silly then. But I guess I am not the target audience for the TV show!

I myself am re-reading The Book of Three and finding it rather meh.
This is the blog of Peat - https://peatlong.wordpress.com/

Online isos81

• Kingkiller
« Reply #14276 on: January 23, 2021, 09:27:10 AM »
Started Blindsight by Peter Watts, confused a lot. %15 into it, and didn't understand a thing.

Offline cupiscent

• Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • an nonsense
    • viscerate.com
« Reply #14277 on: January 23, 2021, 10:32:33 AM »

The book must be incredibly silly then. But I guess I am not the target audience for the TV show!

weeelllll, I mean 1) you probably aren't, but also 2) it is incredibly silly, but not having to be inside the characters' heads and hearing their ridiculous justifications for the silly things they're doing will make it slightly more bearable. At least, that was my experience with Twilight...

Online Peat

• Master Namer
« Reply #14278 on: January 23, 2021, 12:49:30 PM »

weeelllll, I mean 1) you probably aren't, but also 2) it is incredibly silly, but not having to be inside the characters' heads and hearing their ridiculous justifications for the silly things they're doing will make it slightly more bearable. At least, that was my experience with Twilight...

That does make a lot of sense. They're pretty silly and hard to tolerate on TV, let alone hearing them try to think. I half-suspect my wife's watching it mainly for the excuse to go "What's wrong with you" repeatedly as anything else.
This is the blog of Peat - https://peatlong.wordpress.com/

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
« Reply #14279 on: January 24, 2021, 03:36:01 AM »
Completely silly, agree w Peat's wife, but I laughed so much, ignored the pc complaints and the clothes were fanb****ytastic. It sent me on to watch Derry Girls because of Nicola Coughlan as Penelope and that was even better.
No way would I bother to read books, but TV series is fun if viewed as satire of Georgette Heyer, who was satirist herself. Try it when you can @cupiscent.
Asking you to give me equal rights implies that they are yours to give.  Instead, I must demand that you stop trying to deny me the rights all people deserve"  ~Elizabeth Peratrovich~