January 16, 2021, 11:36:37 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 2125054 times)

Online Eli_Freysson

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #14160 on: December 03, 2020, 08:17:21 AM »
Hey @isos81 give @Eli_Freysson 's Sea of Stars a read. I think you'll like it. Light and fun.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/56059402-the-first-run?ac=1&from_search=true&qid=UtO77jQGQG&rank=2

How can I read it? Is it on Kindle? I've ended my membership, but I can enroll again for Eli :)

Yep. It's right here: https://www.amazon.com/First-Run-Eli-Freysson-ebook/dp/B08ML1S2DG/r

And I appreciate the recommendation and interest both.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #14161 on: December 03, 2020, 09:15:58 PM »
I've finished reading Holy Sister. 4.5/5 stars. Hoo boy that's the best epilogue and ending I could've ever asked for in this series. Everything tied up nicely, we get to see new characters and old, and I'd realized how much I'd grown to love Nona's circle of friends over the course of these three books and that I'll be missing them for sure. I'd also like to nominate Sister Pan as the most badass granny in fantasy or ever, her moment was just that epic. Come to think of it this series is probably the school fantasy that reminded me of Harry Potter the most, since characters spent more than 1 book at the school unlike most fantasy school type novels. A great and big thumbs up to Mark Lawrence for writing this wonderful series, and I'd love to read anything from the world of ancestors once again.
His new series takes place in the same world and it's amazing too. I was just about to post a link when I saw that you marked it as to read on Goodreads already. :)

Also
Spoiler for Hiden:
I'd only just discovered that the world of Ancestors are actually pretty similar to the Broken Empire world in terms of having long lost people with high-tech gadgets lying all around, hahah. Maybe there'll be a crossover at some point?
Spoiler for Hiden:
a) It's speculated that it's the same world (= our world) but much further in the future than Broken Empire and b) there already is a crossover character, like Hood in the Cosmere. He's in The Girl and the Stars too, maybe you'll notice him there. ;)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Bender

« Reply #14162 on: December 03, 2020, 11:59:11 PM »
I've finished reading Holy Sister. 4.5/5 stars. Hoo boy that's the best epilogue and ending I could've ever asked for in this series.

Ha ha. I absolutely hated the book. The ending was OK though.

Spoiler for Hiden:
It all felt like a big game from the Abbess and the actors had no personalities. Even after death she moves everyone like a chess piece, which was ridiculously unbelievable. And makes a farce of the personal story of Nona as her decisions weren't her own.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #14163 on: December 04, 2020, 03:12:06 AM »
I've finished reading Holy Sister. 4.5/5 stars. Hoo boy that's the best epilogue and ending I could've ever asked for in this series. Everything tied up nicely, we get to see new characters and old, and I'd realized how much I'd grown to love Nona's circle of friends over the course of these three books and that I'll be missing them for sure. I'd also like to nominate Sister Pan as the most badass granny in fantasy or ever, her moment was just that epic. Come to think of it this series is probably the school fantasy that reminded me of Harry Potter the most, since characters spent more than 1 book at the school unlike most fantasy school type novels. A great and big thumbs up to Mark Lawrence for writing this wonderful series, and I'd love to read anything from the world of ancestors once again.
His new series takes place in the same world and it's amazing too. I was just about to post a link when I saw that you marked it as to read on Goodreads already. :)

Also
Spoiler for Hiden:
I'd only just discovered that the world of Ancestors are actually pretty similar to the Broken Empire world in terms of having long lost people with high-tech gadgets lying all around, hahah. Maybe there'll be a crossover at some point?
Spoiler for Hiden:
a) It's speculated that it's the same world (= our world) but much further in the future than Broken Empire and b) there already is a crossover character, like Hood in the Cosmere. He's in The Girl and the Stars too, maybe you'll notice him there. ;)

Oh holy hells
Spoiler for Hiden:
That's Taproot wasn't it? And I thought the name was pretty familiar. I googled him up and I just noticed he's in the impossible times too! Woo holy hells!

I'd also loved to learn more about the world of Abeth in the Book of Ice. There still seemed so many interesting things from the Missing, hahah.

On the other hand I've been reading The Folding Knife by K. J. Parker and I have to say I'm quite disappointed. I thought I'd loved the book from its blurb, but now that I'm reading it it reads more like a bland real life biography than a fantasy novel (granted, K. J. Parker's works are low fantasy, but still). Also, reading about a son of a rich politician whose only job was to inherit his family inheritance isn't exactly that interesting, to be honest. The writing was pretty dry in a lot of places, and when the book lacked the witty humor as seen in Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City I could see why its ratings would be lower. In addition I'd paid an especially hefty price to buy this book (around the normal price for 2 1/3 books) because I couldn't find it at my usual bookstore and had to resort to eBay instead. If K. J. Parker's other books are only around this level of good, since it's pretty hard and pricey to find his books anyway I'd probably not ordered any more of it.

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #14164 on: December 04, 2020, 08:00:48 AM »
Yes, you found him! :)

The interesting part of the Folding knife is how it's all coming down. But yeah, besides his unnatural luck, there isn't magic there at all. But invented history is still fantasy. ;)

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #14165 on: December 07, 2020, 09:25:55 AM »
After almost 1/3 in the book I've finally started to enjoy The Folding Knife, and it's quite good so far. Looking forward to what other crazy acts and surprises could Basso came out with.  ;D

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #14166 on: December 07, 2020, 04:19:35 PM »
I finished Child of Flame (Crown of Stars #4) by Kate Elliott. A thousand-pager. I think they get shorter again from here, and it's book 4 of 7, so I'm past the half-way mark. I liked it. The two leads were both kind of sidelined, and that meant they - well one in particular - had stories without as much baggage from the preceding three volumes.

Right now I'm reading the last Agatha Christie, Sleeping Murder, then I think I'm going to read another Morningstar book to finish off that mini-challenge, although I'm not sure which, yet. Maybe the Warhammer book, Warrior Priest, which is the only winner I haven't read. It also strikes me that I've missed two of my usual annual traditions so far this year - I haven't read any "proper" literature (classic or lit-fic), and I haven't read a Nevil Shute from my late father's collection - so I think I'm going to have to try to fit those in, this month, too.

Offline isos81

« Reply #14167 on: December 07, 2020, 05:50:21 PM »
Starting Foundation #2. I have high hopes for this one. Hope it's better than the first book.
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline Bender

« Reply #14168 on: December 08, 2020, 12:26:42 AM »
@isos81 not sure if you've read Arcane Ascension, but book 3 is out!
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline Nighteyes

• Juicy dwarf/orc erotica to go.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
« Reply #14169 on: December 08, 2020, 07:12:47 AM »
NOS4A2 by Joe Hill
The Real Powers That Be

Offline HLTinsley

« Reply #14170 on: December 08, 2020, 08:12:40 AM »
Currently reading Dark Oak by Jacob Sannox - I've already read 15 chapters in three days which is the furthest I've got in a book in that short a space of time, so I must be onto something good  :D

Offline Peat

« Reply #14171 on: December 08, 2020, 09:27:29 AM »
Finishing a re-read of Eddings' Malloreon. Just read Cherryh's Gate of Ivrel (recommended). Will try and catch up with review reading after the re-read... well, maybe.
This is the blog of Peat - https://peatlong.wordpress.com/

Offline Cherie

« Reply #14172 on: December 08, 2020, 12:38:43 PM »
I'm just about to start Network Effect the Murderbot novel. I enjoyed the novellas, so I'm looking forward to spending more time with Murderbot.

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #14173 on: December 08, 2020, 09:46:37 PM »
About to start Cogman's Dark Archive.

Offline isos81

« Reply #14174 on: December 09, 2020, 05:44:12 AM »
@isos81 not sure if you've read Arcane Ascension, but book 3 is out!

Read the first, didn't the second. Is it the last book in the series, or does it continue? How was the 3rd book compared to the previous two?
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'