January 16, 2021, 12:07:31 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 2125061 times)

Online Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Kingkiller
  • Bookworm first, human second.
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #14145 on: November 26, 2020, 02:06:32 PM »
2/3 of the way through Black Company, and very disappointed so far. Easy to see the influence it's had on the genre (if you told me this was a first draft of Malazan I'd believe you)  but the writing is just incredibly messy. It's deliberate style rather than lack of ability, but I'm bouncing right off it.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline isos81

« Reply #14146 on: November 26, 2020, 05:53:19 PM »
2/3 of the way through Black Company, and very disappointed so far. Easy to see the influence it's had on the genre (if you told me this was a first draft of Malazan I'd believe you)  but the writing is just incredibly messy. It's deliberate style rather than lack of ability, but I'm bouncing right off it.

I was going to say that start reading with low expectations, but I didn't want to affect you. I felt the same while reading. Later books were a little bit better, though.
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Online Bender

« Reply #14147 on: November 27, 2020, 02:04:01 AM »
Just finished Eli's Sea of Stars ARC. Boy, what a delightful space adventure. Reminded me of Firefly/Cowboy Bebop with a more fun story.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #14148 on: November 27, 2020, 03:08:21 AM »
I finished Grey Sister. 4.3 stars, same as book one. This book really reminded me that what I loved most about this series are Nona's relationship with her friends and their adventures together, hahah. I hope the last book managed to wrap up everything nicely for them all. This book also made me realize that Mark Lawrence did a pretty good job at subverting tropes in this series, whether it's that of the prophecy, the Chosen One, the noble blood school antagonist (imagine Malfoy), among other things. This is where things really start to diverge from other school type fantasies, and I think that made the series all the better.

Now on towards the last book of the series, Holy Sister8)

Offline isos81

« Reply #14149 on: November 28, 2020, 07:19:15 PM »
Finished Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy. It felt the same as Discworld, the only difference being Sci-fi instead of fantasy. I didn't lol'ed anywhere, but there were times I smiled, and not bored in a single page. It's almost impossible not to admire Adams and Pratchett.

Now reading Equal Rites, 3rd book in Discworld.
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #14150 on: November 28, 2020, 11:10:34 PM »
Finished Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy. It felt the same as Discworld, the only difference being Sci-fi instead of fantasy. I didn't lol'ed anywhere, but there were times I smiled, and not bored in a single page. It's almost impossible not to admire Adams and Pratchett.

Now reading Equal Rites, 3rd book in Discworld.
Early Pratchett did appear to have drawn inspiration from Adams, especially The Dark Side of the Sun and Strata.

Online Rostum

• Strange Turnip Person and He Who Waits
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #14151 on: November 28, 2020, 11:22:19 PM »
Started the letter for the king. The translation is a bit clunky but the start seems worthwhile

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #14152 on: November 29, 2020, 01:13:15 PM »
Started the letter for the king. The translation is a bit clunky but the start seems worthwhile
Tonke Dragt? It was one of my favorite books growing up.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #14153 on: November 29, 2020, 08:57:00 PM »
Tonke Dragt? It was one of my favorite books growing up.
We have the book, but haven't read it yet. @Lejays17 really enjoyed the Netflix series of it.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Online Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Kingkiller
  • Bookworm first, human second.
« Reply #14154 on: December 01, 2020, 02:51:36 PM »

I was going to say that start reading with low expectations, but I didn't want to affect you. I felt the same while reading. Later books were a little bit better, though.

This is a series I'd definitely pick up second-hand to see if it improves.

I ended November with the first Murderbot novella, since I'd seen a lot of chat about it here. Alright, but the humour didn't work for me, and Murderbot felt too human at times. (Which is sort of the point, I suppose, but I like a harder line between machine and person in my SF)

Next up I'll be getting into my heavy hitters, with Rhythm of War and The Burning God both weighing down my tbr.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #14155 on: December 01, 2020, 04:28:16 PM »
I'm still reading City of Lies, but the latest Alex Verus book by Benedict Jacka has just popped onto my Kindle and I might have started that too...

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #14156 on: December 02, 2020, 03:42:04 PM »
I've now started The porpoise, by Mark Haddon. I'm still not sure if it's fantasy or not, the description sounds like yes, a bit, but the beginning it isn't.
A short book (only 310 pages!) to clear my head...
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #14157 on: December 03, 2020, 03:55:18 AM »
I've finished reading Holy Sister. 4.5/5 stars. Hoo boy that's the best epilogue and ending I could've ever asked for in this series. Everything tied up nicely, we get to see new characters and old, and I'd realized how much I'd grown to love Nona's circle of friends over the course of these three books and that I'll be missing them for sure. I'd also like to nominate Sister Pan as the most badass granny in fantasy or ever, her moment was just that epic. Come to think of it this series is probably the school fantasy that reminded me of Harry Potter the most, since characters spent more than 1 book at the school unlike most fantasy school type novels. A great and big thumbs up to Mark Lawrence for writing this wonderful series, and I'd love to read anything from the world of ancestors once again.

Also
Spoiler for Hiden:
I'd only just discovered that the world of Ancestors are actually pretty similar to the Broken Empire world in terms of having long lost people with high-tech gadgets lying all around, hahah. Maybe there'll be a crossover at some point?

Online Bender

« Reply #14158 on: December 03, 2020, 05:29:00 AM »
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline isos81

« Reply #14159 on: December 03, 2020, 05:56:48 AM »
Hey @isos81 give @Eli_Freysson 's Sea of Stars a read. I think you'll like it. Light and fun.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/56059402-the-first-run?ac=1&from_search=true&qid=UtO77jQGQG&rank=2

How can I read it? Is it on Kindle? I've ended my membership, but I can enroll again for Eli :)