November 24, 2020, 08:14:46 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 2102162 times)

Offline Neveesandeh

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #14130 on: November 19, 2020, 09:23:14 AM »
But be warned, you'll have a whole new set of characters for book two and (afaik) you're not meeting a single one you know from book one. This annoyed me a bit in the beginning, but Chain of Dogs Deadhouse Gates is amazing, if brutal.

And don't forget that we have multiple discussion topics about every book and, like Bea, you can add your thoughts and/or read up on what we thought. :)
-> click here

I didn't like Deadhouse Gates much. I found all the characters a little grating. I'm not sure the Malazan books are for me, but I'll read book three eventually.

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #14131 on: November 20, 2020, 03:10:11 AM »
But be warned, you'll have a whole new set of characters for book two and (afaik) you're not meeting a single one you know from book one. This annoyed me a bit in the beginning, but Chain of Dogs Deadhouse Gates is amazing, if brutal.

And don't forget that we have multiple discussion topics about every book and, like Bea, you can add your thoughts and/or read up on what we thought. :)
-> click here

I heard Deadhouse Gates and Memories of Ice are great. Can't wait to receive the copies I've ordered now, hahah  ;D.

I'm currently reading Grey Sister. After I've read Red Sister last time I'd went and ordered a whole new set of the Ancestor Trilogy, but this time with the more beautiful US cover. They looked amazing compared to the drab UK covers, hahah. The book started out better than Red Sister so far, and I'm quite enjoying Nona's friendship with her gang of friends.

Online Peat

« Reply #14132 on: November 20, 2020, 11:47:26 AM »
30% of the way through A Shadow in Summer and I've seen enough that I'd normally DNF but I haven't finished a new book in forever so I think I'm going to try and gut it out.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #14133 on: November 20, 2020, 11:57:14 AM »
30% of the way through A Shadow in Summer and I've seen enough that I'd normally DNF but I haven't finished a new book in forever so I think I'm going to try and gut it out.
Ooooh I hadn't recognised the name because I've got the omnibus version, that's book 1 in Abraham's Long Price quartet.
I really like those books, please hold on and hopefully it'll get better for you!

(and now I want to re-read them, hehe)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 11:59:00 AM by ScarletBea »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline isos81

« Reply #14134 on: November 20, 2020, 12:15:46 PM »
Finished Flowers for Algernon. I can't say that I loved the book (didn't even cry), but I pretty much liked it. Loved the ending though.

It's time for Dune (finally!) :)
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #14135 on: November 20, 2020, 09:53:18 PM »

That book is a remarkably slow burn. It is something like 85% intricate worldbuilding for 15% emotional payoff at the end, thought it's still an unusually small and gentle story, very much close-focus on the characters. I was very much carried by lovely style, and the fascinating details of that worldbuilding. (I loved both the nuclear-deterrence-poetry and the hand poses.) But then the second book really gets to use all that setup to launch into a nearly Shakespearean set piece of amazing characters and self-authored tragedy. It's a series that I'm wildly impressed with overall, but I cannot deny it is a strange and slow and subtle beast.

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #14136 on: November 21, 2020, 03:20:35 AM »
And to double-post - I finally managed to finish How to Rule an Empire and Get Away With It, which I thoroughly enjoyed. It's not got quite the zing of Sixteen Ways, but Notker is arguably a more heroic character. Very curious now about whether there'll be a third in this little series, and if so, how, who, where and what!

I am moving on to a book called To The Sky Kingdom by Tang Qi, translated from the original Chinese by Poppy Toland. I first put this on my to-read list back in 2016, from a list of "Asian authors writing fantasy". Adding it on GoodReads today, I discovered that since then, there's been an explosion regarding this book having been somewhat/substantially (there's argument) plagiarised from another, "boy-love" (i.e. homosexual) fantasy romance story.

It's a bit of a conundrum. Ideally, I'd like to read the original, possibly as well as this one, and make up my own mind, but the original hasn't been translated or achieved Western-market publication (as far as I can tell). Part of that is probably because it's gay, and this one has been turned into a heterosexual romance. There are some big problematic things at work here, but my personal ability to influence any of those is limited, especially because I haven't bought this book, just borrowed it from my library's existing collection.

I'm also wondering now if it's going to be too histrionic and stylised for my personal tastes, because that's something I usually find in that sort of Chinese romance-fiction. :D

Online Peat

« Reply #14137 on: November 22, 2020, 01:29:21 AM »
Well, here's hoping Cupi and Bea are right.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline isos81

« Reply #14138 on: November 22, 2020, 08:30:23 AM »

A friend of mine told me that he will start Dune on December, so I postponed Dune to December. I started The  Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #14139 on: November 22, 2020, 09:26:05 AM »

A friend of mine told me that he will start Dune on December, so I postponed Dune to December. I started The  Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Oh let me know how that goes! I've only watched the movie but absolutely loved it. So long, and thanks for all the fish.  ;D

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #14140 on: November 22, 2020, 10:07:24 AM »
I'll now start re-reading John Gwynne's A time of dread, as I've got books 2 and 3 now and I don't remember much what happened in book 1 - might as well read the whole series in one go :)
I realised this was my last post here.
I've re-read book 1, read book 2, A time of blood, and I've now started the last one, A time of courage.
I'm happy to say that the "I remember" things in this volume are *much better* than the clunky ones in book 2 that I mentioned in the other thread!
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Bender

« Reply #14141 on: November 22, 2020, 11:48:23 PM »
I browsed through Hitchhiker so e months ago. Felt it got dated.

Reading Eli's Sea of Stars now.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #14142 on: November 23, 2020, 03:36:08 AM »
I browsed through Hitchhiker so e months ago. Felt it got dated.

Reading Eli's Sea of Stars now.
Not surprised about Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy feeling dated now as it was written for a radio broadcast in 1978. I think I first encountered it in 1980. I did love it, though. I haven't read it for some years, but I think I'd still find bits of it funny.
Spoiler for Hiden:
the hooloovoo will never not be funny to me
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Online Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Kingkiller
  • Bookworm first, human second.
« Reply #14143 on: November 23, 2020, 01:39:36 PM »
Much as I'm excited to read it, I've decided to hold off on Rhythm of War until next month. Looking to eliminate the tbr by birthday/Christams.

Which means my next read is the first Black Company omnibus from Glen Cook. Pretty excited for this one, as it's been a while since I got a fantasy series I could really lose myself in.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Online Rostum

• Strange Turnip Person and He Who Waits
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #14144 on: Today at 03:49:56 PM »
Reading the last of the Tom Swan episodes by Christian Cameron a timely reread as there are more on the way. and the 9th life of Louis Drax both of which is excellent