December 04, 2020, 02:25:29 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 2106463 times)

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #14115 on: November 15, 2020, 07:02:55 AM »
I'm reading Gardens of the Moon. Amidst the chaos and havoc of gods battling mortals, empires against armies, mages and Claws and undead vs Tiste Andii and whatnot, there's suddenly this one chapter where a young guy got stuck traveling towards a city with a young girl his age. They were forced to share the same mount and bedroll, and the guy was all flustered and blushing furiously because of that. It's very romantic comedy-ish, very hilarious, and serves to remind you that even amongst all the chaos of a sprawling epic war one could still felt such excitement and happiness from the little things.  ;D

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #14116 on: November 15, 2020, 09:13:58 AM »
I'm reading Gardens of the Moon. Amidst the chaos and havoc of gods battling mortals, empires against armies, mages and Claws and undead vs Tiste Andii and whatnot, there's suddenly this one chapter where a young guy got stuck traveling towards a city with a young girl his age. They were forced to share the same mount and bedroll, and the guy was all flustered and blushing furiously because of that. It's very romantic comedy-ish, very hilarious, and serves to remind you that even amongst all the chaos of a sprawling epic war one could still felt such excitement and happiness from the little things.  ;D
Erikson is superb at this, the little stories of humanity in the middle of the epic stuff! Throughout the series there are comic, innocent, sad, happy, and many other types.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #14117 on: November 15, 2020, 09:50:03 AM »
If you want the paperback its release is November 17th.
Already preordered. :)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #14118 on: November 15, 2020, 07:45:05 PM »
I finished The Return of the Incredible Exploding Man by Dave Hutchinson. I enjoyed it all the way through, but thought the end was a bit of a damp squib. I'm kind of interested to read the original short version, now, to see if it was more complete.

Next up is back to the Crown of Stars readalong with Child of Flame by Kate Elliott. I have also started the Ted Chiang collection Exhalation. I'm pretty sure I've already read some of these back when I was taking part in the Hugo voting.

Online Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Kingkiller
  • Bookworm first, human second.
« Reply #14119 on: November 15, 2020, 07:46:51 PM »
About to start To Sleep In A Sea Of Stars, the new Christopher Paolini novel. It's an absolute doorstopper, so I hope I enjoy it.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline isos81

« Reply #14120 on: November 15, 2020, 08:53:28 PM »
Finished All Systems Red (Murderbot Diaries #1). Nice and easy read, will definitely read the others. I think it's time for me to start Dune at last. Oh by the way, I'll read Flowers for Algernon whenever I find free time at work.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 04:26:05 PM by isos81 »
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline hexa

« Reply #14121 on: November 15, 2020, 09:51:03 PM »
I look forward to your opinion of Flowers for Algernon

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #14122 on: November 16, 2020, 03:45:59 AM »
I look forward to your opinion of Flowers for Algernon
Me too. I loved that book. One of the few that made me cry.

Offline Cherie

« Reply #14123 on: November 16, 2020, 01:24:23 PM »
Finished All Systems Red (Murderbot Diaries #1). Nice and easy red, will definitely read the others. I think it's time for me to start Dune at last. Oh by the way, I'll read Flowers to Algernon whenever I find free time at work.
I've just started Rogue Protocol which is book 3 of of the Murderbot Diaries. They're all nice and easy, and I love the character's voice.

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #14124 on: November 18, 2020, 11:14:30 AM »
Finished All Systems Red (Murderbot Diaries #1). Nice and easy red, will definitely read the others. I think it's time for me to start Dune at last. Oh by the way, I'll read Flowers to Algernon whenever I find free time at work.
I've just started Rogue Protocol which is book 3 of of the Murderbot Diaries. They're all nice and easy, and I love the character's voice.

I haven't gotten to Rogue Protocol, but Murderbot is awesome. Yes, the voice is great!

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Elderling
« Reply #14125 on: November 18, 2020, 12:31:21 PM »

Everyone loves Murderbot! Even Bea when she eventually reads it 😁
I haven't gotten to Rogue Protocol, but Murderbot is awesome. Yes, the voice is great!
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #14126 on: November 18, 2020, 01:29:36 PM »
I've just finished Gardens of the Moon. 4.5/5 stars. The book wasn't as hard and complicated as I'd led to believe, and I enjoyed it much more than I'd anticipated. I loved how the tales from different factions/ groups/ races/ whether they're working together or against one another, finally flowed together to form a beautiful tapestry in the end. True, there were parts that got me yawning a bit, but after I passed those I'd grown to appreciate the little intricate details that ties to one plot point or another later in the story. It's great. It's amazing, and if this is considered the worst book in the Malazan series already then I think I'll be in for one hell of a great time reading the rest of the books. (Yes, and I've already bought the rest of the series on a whim, hahah)  ;D

I do hope that in the future we'd get a main POV from either Anomander Rake or Caladan Brood, though. Those guys seemed awesome and their tales should be more than interesting.

Offline isos81

« Reply #14127 on: November 18, 2020, 01:39:35 PM »
I've just finished Gardens of the Moon. 4.5/5 stars. The book wasn't as hard and complicated as I'd led to believe, and I enjoyed it much more than I'd anticipated. I loved how the tales from different factions/ groups/ races/ whether they're working together or against one another, finally flowed together to form a beautiful tapestry in the end. True, there were parts that got me yawning a bit, but after I passed those I'd grown to appreciate the little intricate details that ties to one plot point or another later in the story. It's great. It's amazing, and if this is considered the worst book in the Malazan series already then I think I'll be in for one hell of a great time reading the rest of the books. (Yes, and I've already bought the rest of the series on a whim, hahah)  ;D

I do hope that in the future we'd get a main POV from either Anomander Rake or Caladan Brood, though. Those guys seemed awesome and their tales should be more than interesting.

I love reading complimentary reviews about Malazan :) 2nd and 3rd books are the favorites of many. I think you'll love the rest.
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #14128 on: November 18, 2020, 08:10:36 PM »
But be warned, you'll have a whole new set of characters for book two and (afaik) you're not meeting a single one you know from book one. This annoyed me a bit in the beginning, but Chain of Dogs Deadhouse Gates is amazing, if brutal.

And don't forget that we have multiple discussion topics about every book and, like Bea, you can add your thoughts and/or read up on what we thought. :)
-> click here
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #14129 on: November 18, 2020, 08:26:38 PM »
But be warned, you'll have a whole new set of characters for book two and (afaik) you're not meeting a single one you know from book one. This annoyed me a bit in the beginning, but Chain of Dogs Deadhouse Gates is amazing, if brutal.
Yes, I was in tears at the end :'(

And don't forget that we have multiple discussion topics about every book and, like Bea, you can add your thoughts and/or read up on what we thought. :)
-> click here
Yes, and even though I was basically "speaking with myself", by posting comments so many years after the others, it did help me to keep track of things and make sense of many events. And it helped me remember, because I read the 10 books in 5 "groups" (usually of 2 in a row, except book 1 was a single, and the last 3 were together). I carried a notebook with me as I was reading, hehe, or a piece of paper for notes!
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!