December 03, 2020, 10:52:23 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 2106090 times)

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #14070 on: November 06, 2020, 03:10:01 AM »
I've just finished Gideon the Ninth. 6/5 stars, if this isn't an amazing fantasy novel I don't know what is. A disclaimer though, with all the rave reviews you'd thought it to be a fast-paced, action-packed novel, and if you went into the book thinking that you'd probably be disappointed. The pace during the first 100 pages were actually pretty slow, and even I was thinking to give it only a mediocre score at that point. After that, though, things really starts to pick up as shit hits the fan and mysteries upon mysteries are starting to be revealed one after another. I'd say this is a more a mystery novel with a scifi setting than it was fantasy, and definitely one of the most original concepts I've read in a long while. (Very Agatha Christie-ish, to boot)
Spoiler for Hiden:
Reminds me a lot of And Then There Were None, actually

I'm not a huge fan of that ending, though, and maybe that's going to affect whether I'm following up with its sequel or not. I'll take my time and let's see.
Spoiler for Hiden:
Did Gideon really died? Oh man how is the story supposed to go forward with Harrow? I was shipping both of them so bad.  :'(

Not sure if this is a spoiler, but I've got the post-book blues like I've after I'd finished Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City again, urgh.  :-\

Online cupiscent

« Reply #14071 on: November 06, 2020, 04:43:13 AM »
I've just finished Gideon the Ninth. 6/5 stars
Wheeee, so glad you enjoyed it! You're not the only one I've heard compare it to Agatha Christie - one of the Be The Serpent podcasters was describing it as a space-necromancy manor-house murder mystery, and I think that's actually spot on.

The sequel is... a strange beast that has even more divided readers. If you are the sort of reader who enjoyed putting a book together like a puzzle, Harrow the Ninth is a TREAT. If you prefer a book where things actually happen and you don't have to contort yourself trying to understand what's going on, then I gather it's a bit of a disappointment. I am a puzzler, and I LOVED IT SO MUCH.

Also, if you've learned anything about this universe, surely it's that dead is not the same as gone forever. ;)

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #14072 on: November 07, 2020, 07:57:01 AM »
I'm currently reading Gardens of the Moon (first book of Malazan). Around 60 pages in and I have to say that I still haven't really enjoyed it so far. It wasn't all that confusing and I managed to get the things the book mentioned somewhat, but up until now I still didn't feel much attachment to any of the characters, and felt like things were kind of droll (I almost dosed off while reading). Sure, there's the feel that there's some epic things of colossal proportion going on, but overall I felt that it reads more like a historical text with magic than a fantasy novel.

Offline Neveesandeh

« Reply #14073 on: November 07, 2020, 09:31:08 AM »
I'm currently reading Gardens of the Moon (first book of Malazan). Around 60 pages in and I have to say that I still haven't really enjoyed it so far. It wasn't all that confusing and I managed to get the things the book mentioned somewhat, but up until now I still didn't feel much attachment to any of the characters, and felt like things were kind of droll (I almost dosed off while reading). Sure, there's the feel that there's some epic things of colossal proportion going on, but overall I felt that it reads more like a historical text with magic than a fantasy novel.

I didn't like it all that much either. Or the second one. Couldn't really get engaged with any of the characters.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #14074 on: November 07, 2020, 09:55:42 AM »
I started Susannah Clarke's Piranesi - super weird, these first pages, but already making my imagination work overdrive, which is a very good thing at the moment!
About halfway through, and this is definitely one of those books to be re-read! :D
In the first read you know nothing, everything is mysterious and strange, you're discovering things at the same time as the main character. In the second one you'll discover the reasons for all the things that looked strange before, read the hints that are all over the place.

(I just hit a point where a lot is now being explained, my previous questions answered!)

After months of reading monster-sized books, I'd forgotten how quickly you go through the short-ish/normal-sized ones ;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline isos81

« Reply #14075 on: November 07, 2020, 12:10:54 PM »

First book doesn't count :) I really wonder about your opinions when you finish the second book.
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #14076 on: November 07, 2020, 01:55:00 PM »

First book doesn't count :) I really wonder about your opinions when you finish the second book.
Sorry, but I don't agree.
You can't expect someone to go through a ~1000-page book that's boring them and still read book 2 afterwards.
I really liked book 1 and that's why I continued - yes, you're thrown in the deep end of the pool without any floating devices, but then it's up to you to sink or swim. If I had sunk I wouldn't have bothered with book 2.

Offline Peat

« Reply #14077 on: November 07, 2020, 02:16:01 PM »
The only way the first book doesn't count if the advice is to just not read it at all and go straight to the second.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Kingkiller
  • Bookworm first, human second.
« Reply #14078 on: November 07, 2020, 05:41:36 PM »
Finished The Last Druid. Not many surprises, and it did feel like a greatest hits record at times, but overall a nice fun adventure and a fitting end to Shannara.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #14079 on: November 07, 2020, 08:51:18 PM »
Malazan has the reputation of shallow characters. The opinion of its fandom is, that this is solely based on GotM, where Erikson was still learning his trade. His characters are anything but shallow in all the other books, so if that is your main/only grief, it absolutely makes sense to continue reading.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #14080 on: November 07, 2020, 11:17:38 PM »

I didn't like it all that much either. Or the second one. Couldn't really get engaged with any of the characters.
That was me, too. At the urging of other people who loved the series I read on, and halfway through the 3rd book was still the same, so gave up. I think 2 and a half large books is enough to know something is not for me.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #14081 on: November 08, 2020, 03:15:33 AM »
I read a few more pages, and hell, no one told me that Steven Erikson was such a great writer of battle scenes (or well someone might have but I didn't remember  :P). The battle at the city of the Pale was the first large scale magical battle I've ever read, and to say it was amazing would be an understatement (even though it was just a page long). Everyone here probably knew by this point that I utterly loved action scenes, whether big or small, to bits, and this is great great.

I also think the book's starting to pick up pretty good from there too, I kinda like Tattersail and the Bridgeburners quite more than Paran's earlier chapters, and later when Paran joined them things seemed to flow pretty good. If this keeps up I think I'll be enjoying this after all (hopefully, hahah)  ;D.

Offline isos81

« Reply #14082 on: November 08, 2020, 07:02:08 AM »

Sorry, but I don't agree.
You can't expect someone to go through a ~1000-page book that's boring them and still read book 2 afterwards.
I really liked book 1 and that's why I continued - yes, you're thrown in the deep end of the pool without any floating devices, but then it's up to you to sink or swim. If I had sunk I wouldn't have bothered with book 2.

Of course the first book counts, and of course if the reader doesn't feel connected he/she can quit whenever he/she wants. What I wanted to say is, this books aren't famous with characterizations, it's more like a history book with fantasy elements. It's all about expectations and connections, and those two are strongest in the later books whereas the first book is a lot more obscure and novice as @xiagan stated.

@S. K. Inkslinger, it gets much more better in the second book in terms of battling. You'll love the series if you like battle scenes.
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #14083 on: November 08, 2020, 09:53:52 AM »
I finished Susanna Clarke's Piranesi.
I LOVED it!
It's strange and mysterious and it raises a lot of Thoughts on Life and Solitude, making me think a lot about My Life.

(the capitalisations are linked to the book hehe)

I'll now start re-reading John Gwynne's A time of dread, as I've got books 2 and 3 now and I don't remember much what happened in book 1 - might as well read the whole series in one go :)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 10:01:47 AM by ScarletBea »

Offline Ned Marcus

« Reply #14084 on: November 08, 2020, 10:17:39 AM »
I finished Susanna Clarke's Piranesi.
I LOVED it!

Is it similar to Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell?