November 24, 2020, 08:40:44 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 2102177 times)

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • Nerd Empire
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #14040 on: October 28, 2020, 08:35:36 PM »

JR thinks Hmmm, I want to write tonight so I think I'm going to just glance at some opening lines to various books and analyze what made them work.

[JR crack's @CameronJohnston 's God of Broken things]

9 chapters later I'm still reading.  Damn you, Cameron.
Bwahahaha! I definitely learned a lot from writing that first book.

The first one was great too!!!!

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #14041 on: October 29, 2020, 01:35:36 PM »
I'm at 92% in The Burning Stone (Crown of Stars #3) by Kate Elliott. I think that's roughly page 850. I might just make it in time for the monthly round up.

Online Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Kingkiller
  • Bookworm first, human second.
« Reply #14042 on: October 29, 2020, 05:29:21 PM »
Halfway between Dune and Malazan

OK, you got my attention! :)

Are you still reading Dune at the moment?

Nah, couldn't even start. I can't read anything for over a month. I think I'm in a reading slump, but I'll get over it soon :) Should I read Dune first?

A book like Dune probably won't help a slump. I like it, but it is painfully slow at times. If you mean, should you read Dune before Sun Eater, I think it would change the way you read Ruocchio. Sun Eater is entirely its own thing, but was written in many ways as a response to Dune.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline Nighteyes

• Juicy dwarf/orc erotica to go.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
« Reply #14043 on: October 29, 2020, 06:22:34 PM »
Piranesi by Susanna Clarke
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
« Reply #14044 on: October 30, 2020, 09:10:41 PM »
Pepper & Carrot
https://www.peppercarrot.com/

I'm in love  :P

Offline Neveesandeh

« Reply #14045 on: October 30, 2020, 09:18:59 PM »

Nah, couldn't even start. I can't read anything for over a month. I think I'm in a reading slump, but I'll get over it soon :) Should I read Dune first?

A book like Dune probably won't help a slump. I like it, but it is painfully slow at times. If you mean, should you read Dune before Sun Eater, I think it would change the way you read Ruocchio. Sun Eater is entirely its own thing, but was written in many ways as a response to Dune.

That sounds interesting. Is there some sort of thematic opposition?

Online Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Kingkiller
  • Bookworm first, human second.
« Reply #14046 on: October 30, 2020, 09:56:15 PM »

That sounds interesting. Is there some sort of thematic opposition?

Exactly this. They both have a 'hero' doing terrible acts, but take different approaches as to whether or not they are still a 'hero' after the fact.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #14047 on: October 30, 2020, 10:52:30 PM »
I've started on a re-read of Deryni Rising by Katherine Kurtz. I read this book when I was about fourteen, and it very, very, very much shaped my specific genre tastes (or, possibly, revealed them). The new edition I've bought has a foreword from the author, reflecting on the thirty-year-plus history of the book - which included a note about the context of its publishing which has sent me down a rabbithole of genre publishing in the US in the 1960s and '70s, the rivalry between Ballantine and Ace (hilariously, Deryni was originally with Ballantine, but now reprinted with Ace) and the real rise of "fantasy" as a modern thing.

I had known that Deryni was foundational for "historical/political fantasy" as a subgenre, but I hadn't realised it was really quite foundational for fantasy as a whole, especially in a US context. Seems a lot like speculative publishing had been almost entirely science fiction, before Ballantine launched an imprint to specifically get fantasy classics back into print with the aim of encouraging and publishing new works in that mode. (This imprint eventually went on to morph into Del Rey books, focusing on new works.) Kurtz's Deryni Rising was the first new work they published. I am even more keen to read the book again with this in mind, to see what I can spot that she seeded into the modern genre as we know it. :D

Online Peat

« Reply #14048 on: October 30, 2020, 10:59:40 PM »
I've started on a re-read of Deryni Rising by Katherine Kurtz. I read this book when I was about fourteen, and it very, very, very much shaped my specific genre tastes (or, possibly, revealed them). The new edition I've bought has a foreword from the author, reflecting on the thirty-year-plus history of the book - which included a note about the context of its publishing which has sent me down a rabbithole of genre publishing in the US in the 1960s and '70s, the rivalry between Ballantine and Ace (hilariously, Deryni was originally with Ballantine, but now reprinted with Ace) and the real rise of "fantasy" as a modern thing.

I had known that Deryni was foundational for "historical/political fantasy" as a subgenre, but I hadn't realised it was really quite foundational for fantasy as a whole, especially in a US context. Seems a lot like speculative publishing had been almost entirely science fiction, before Ballantine launched an imprint to specifically get fantasy classics back into print with the aim of encouraging and publishing new works in that mode. (This imprint eventually went on to morph into Del Rey books, focusing on new works.) Kurtz's Deryni Rising was the first new work they published. I am even more keen to read the book again with this in mind, to see what I can spot that she seeded into the modern genre as we know it. :D

I knew she was foundational for historical/political, and that was she was early in that Ballantine line, but I didn't know she was first. That's impressive.

I have to say for all I appreciate her historical importance, I always found the books themselves a bit dry.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Rostum

• Strange Turnip Person and He Who Waits
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #14049 on: October 31, 2020, 07:45:18 PM »
Blew the dust off Redshirts from my TBR not really feeling it at the moment.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #14050 on: November 01, 2020, 11:09:21 AM »
After finally finishing Malazan, I'm now reading Confessions of a bookseller by Shaun Bythell.
It's book 2 in his series of diaries about running a second-hand bookshop in SW Scotland, very funny and interesting.

At first I thought I'd be reading this one (which is from the library) plus a fantasy one at the same time, but after realising that it's outstanding in my library account (not allowed to renew because there's a hold on it), I decided to just focus on it - although now with the new lockdown that might be not relevant anymore, I think I won't be allowed to return the books until December anyway...
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #14051 on: November 01, 2020, 01:14:55 PM »
After finally finishing Malazan, I'm now reading Confessions of a bookseller by Shaun Bythell.
It's book 2 in his series of diaries about running a second-hand bookshop in SW Scotland, very funny and interesting.

At first I thought I'd be reading this one (which is from the library) plus a fantasy one at the same time, but after realising that it's outstanding in my library account (not allowed to renew because there's a hold on it), I decided to just focus on it - although now with the new lockdown that might be not relevant anymore, I think I won't be allowed to return the books until December anyway...

I've book to that bookshop, and a fine one it is too.

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #14052 on: November 01, 2020, 01:23:46 PM »
Me too!! That time I went to Scotland and met you hehe - but I hadn't read the book at the time so didn't know it was famous hehe

Another funny thing on my visit to Wigtown was that I got the map with all the bookshops and genres, and there was a SFF one on the outskirts. After driving a bit I finally found it, and it was in this outbuilding of a normal house, looked like a shed, and I was there browsing, then the owner arrives and starts chatting but it's a bit creepy and I left right away. He was probably nice, but I just got a very strange feeling, being there on my own...
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline isos81

« Reply #14053 on: November 01, 2020, 08:40:42 PM »
I've started Foundation by Isaac Asimov as part of a reading group. 50 pages in, and I loved Hari Seldon alread :)
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline Nighteyes

• Juicy dwarf/orc erotica to go.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
« Reply #14054 on: November 01, 2020, 09:25:16 PM »
Stories of your life and others by Ted Chiang
The Real Powers That Be