November 28, 2020, 01:57:53 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 2103635 times)

Offline cupiscent

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #14010 on: October 24, 2020, 02:53:19 AM »
Finally getting started on Anna Smith Spark's Court of Broken Knives, huzzah.

Well, that book was certainly... a thing that I just finished reading. Huh. Definitely not bad, very thoughtful, and downright beautiful in places, but... decisions were made in the making of it and I am very perplexed.

Once I've scraped my thoughts together into an actual review, I'll be moving on to Helen Corcoran's Queen of Coin and Whispers which by title alone is about 150proof My Thing. :D

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
« Reply #14011 on: October 24, 2020, 06:30:27 AM »
Started Lies Sleeping, so after that it's the October Man, @Elfy. :)

I hope you haven't missed out The Hanging Tree?  That is absolutely terribly amazingly wonderfully important because it stars...........
Spoiler for Hiden:
Lady Ty  (and her very naughty teenage daughter)

Please read now, straightaway, immediately. ;D
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 10:02:44 AM by Lady Ty »
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #14012 on: October 24, 2020, 09:15:18 AM »
Finished Priest of Bones. It's really like fantasy Peaky Blinders with some name changes, hahah. For the ending I'd give it 5/5 stars. On to the next book, Priest of Lies.

Offline Peat

« Reply #14013 on: October 24, 2020, 10:41:18 AM »

Well, that book was certainly... a thing that I just finished reading. Huh. Definitely not bad, very thoughtful, and downright beautiful in places, but... decisions were made in the making of it and I am very perplexed.

Once I've scraped my thoughts together into an actual review, I'll be moving on to Helen Corcoran's Queen of Coin and Whispers which by title alone is about 150proof My Thing. :D

*casually moves CoBK down the TBR pile*

I'm reading Nasomi's Quest, a SP book by some guy in Zambia. I picked it up because I loved the voice of the first chapter but guess who's three chapters in and struggling to get engaged.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #14014 on: October 24, 2020, 08:25:33 PM »

I hope you haven't missed out The Hanging Tree?  That is absolutely terribly amazingly wonderfully important because it stars...........
Spoiler for Hiden:

Started _ _ _  _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _ _ _ _.  ;)
;)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #14015 on: October 24, 2020, 11:52:50 PM »

Great review from Mark Lawrence on goodreads over here. Basically, if you've ever wondered what "literary grimdark" might look like, this book is the answer. :D It's "good" grimdark inasmuch as it's unflinching about the self-perpetuating toxicity of violence, and it's "good" litfic inasmuch as it uses language to evoke and provoke and counterpoint itself, and observes humanity in full array of weakness and strength. But despite hitting some genre tropes from a new angle, it is quite far from standard genre fare and that was quite baffling in places. (Also, finding out the author was totally goth was the least surprising thing.)

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #14016 on: October 25, 2020, 01:15:02 AM »

Spoiler for Hiden:

;)
Clever @xiagan very clever.

Offline Peat

« Reply #14017 on: October 25, 2020, 01:07:52 AM »

Great review from Mark Lawrence on goodreads over here. Basically, if you've ever wondered what "literary grimdark" might look like, this book is the answer. :D It's "good" grimdark inasmuch as it's unflinching about the self-perpetuating toxicity of violence, and it's "good" litfic inasmuch as it uses language to evoke and provoke and counterpoint itself, and observes humanity in full array of weakness and strength. But despite hitting some genre tropes from a new angle, it is quite far from standard genre fare and that was quite baffling in places. (Also, finding out the author was totally goth was the least surprising thing.)

*pushes it down further*

I want to like it. I really do. Anna Smith Sparks comes across as a cool and smart person, and it was an interview with her that I read that prompted me to buy this. I want to read her ideas. But I've got to be reading a story I like first, and for me story comes from voice and character. I don't hate the voice, but it doesn't let me read fast (which is part of the literary thing) and doesn't hook me (which isn't). I haven't formed strong opinions about the characters, but everything I read about them says I will and they'll be DNF opinions.

Maybe I'll read it at some point and be all "Oh wow, what was the fuss about". But I'm in zero rush.

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
« Reply #14018 on: October 25, 2020, 01:40:10 AM »

Spoiler for Hiden:

;)
Clever @xiagan very clever.

My grovelling apologies for doubting, xiagan. I even 'liked' your original post. Very glad you have become a Rivers fan😁
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Online Rostum

• Strange Turnip Person and He Who Waits
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #14019 on: October 25, 2020, 07:42:47 AM »
Read Norse Mythology. Less dark and nasty than I was expecting.

Online Ned Marcus

« Reply #14020 on: October 25, 2020, 11:41:26 AM »
Read Norse Mythology. Less dark and nasty than I was expecting.

Was this Neil Gaiman's book? I've been thinking of buying that one.

Offline Peat

« Reply #14021 on: October 25, 2020, 01:04:46 PM »
Currently alternating between Nasomi's Quest, an occult adventure by Enock I. Simbaya who's from Zambia, and The Curse of Chalion by Lois McMaster Bujold.

Nasomi's Quest is full of atmosphere and dramatic scenes but it lacks narrative momentum for me.

The Curse of Chalion by contrast has a real pull there, and fantastic voice.

Online Ned Marcus

« Reply #14022 on: October 25, 2020, 02:40:36 PM »
The Curse of Chalion by contrast has a real pull there, and fantastic voice.

It's been a while since I read this. Perhaps time to reread—I really enjoyed it at the time.

Offline Peat

« Reply #14023 on: October 26, 2020, 03:16:22 AM »
I have finished Curse of Chalion and have a mini review

Pros: Its perfect

Cons: There are two. One, it may not be as perfect to someone else. I have sorrow for those people.

Two, this is a book I have long wanted to write, and someone else has gone and done it first and far better than I could hope to. Which is frankly just rude and, when I come to power, shall be a crime leading to a long prison stay.

That is all.

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #14024 on: October 26, 2020, 04:22:00 AM »
I am told that the sequel - Paladin of Souls - is even better. I have such trouble believing this, due to The Curse of Chalion's perfection, that I have yet to read it despite having had it on my ereader for about ten years now. Though, I mean, if anyone can manage it, it's Lois McMaster Bujold.