October 29, 2020, 11:45:45 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 2088855 times)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #13995 on: October 16, 2020, 12:10:47 PM »
Started _ _ _  _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _ _ _ _.  ;)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #13996 on: October 16, 2020, 11:15:11 PM »
Oh, and speaking of Muir, I opened up my kindle copy of Gideon the Ninth the other day, and everyone had made it sound so over the top that I was thrown by how normal the start is, and closed it.

ahahahaha whoops? But come on, how is this not a fantastic first line?
In the myriadic year of our Lord—the ten thousandth year of the King Undying, the kindly Prince of Death!— Gideon Nav packed her sword, her shoes, and her dirty magazines, and she escaped from the House of the Ninth.
It's the exclamation mark and the dirty magazines that really hooked me. :D (Though now, reading through the first chapter again, I want to go back and check to see if the imaginary dirty mag in the late chapters of Harrow is Frontline Titties of the Fifth...)

ETA: I just went and checked and it IS, I am laughing so hard.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 11:21:40 PM by cupiscent »

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #13997 on: October 17, 2020, 07:51:50 AM »
After much consideration on what I'll be reading last night, I'm finally starting Priest of Bones by Peter McLean. If this isn't a fantasy inspired version of Peaky Blinders I'll eat my own shoe, there's the soldiers coming back from a great war, the name Tomas, his brother and the Piety family, the Pious Men, his aunt who stayed back during the war to take care of business, and even the pub.  ;D At first I've been saving the read until the third book would come out, but now that I've discovered that it wasn't planned as a trilogy I'm now going all in, and it's amazing so far.

By the Order of the Pious Fookin' Men!  ;D

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #13998 on: October 17, 2020, 09:29:16 AM »
After much consideration on what I'll be reading last night, I'm finally starting Priest of Bones by Peter McLean. If this isn't a fantasy inspired version of Peaky Blinders I'll eat my own shoe, there's the soldiers coming back from a great war, the name Tomas, his brother and the Piety family, the Pious Men, his aunt who stayed back during the war to take care of business, and even the pub.  ;D At first I've been saving the read until the third book would come out, but now that I've discovered that it wasn't planned as a trilogy I'm now going all in, and it's amazing so far.

You're really selling it to me ;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #13999 on: October 17, 2020, 09:40:16 AM »

Believe me, that was the highlight that sold the book to me too, hahah.  ;D

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #14000 on: October 17, 2020, 11:18:46 AM »

Guess you don’t read my posts Bea 😛

http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/fantasy-book-discussion/priest-of-bones-by-peter-mclean/msg201557/#msg201557
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #14001 on: October 17, 2020, 12:17:30 PM »

Guess you don’t read my posts Bea 😛

http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/fantasy-book-discussion/priest-of-bones-by-peter-mclean/msg201557/#msg201557
Sorry :-[ :-[ you're absolutely right
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Online Peat

« Reply #14002 on: October 17, 2020, 03:38:15 PM »
Oh, and speaking of Muir, I opened up my kindle copy of Gideon the Ninth the other day, and everyone had made it sound so over the top that I was thrown by how normal the start is, and closed it.

ahahahaha whoops? But come on, how is this not a fantastic first line?
In the myriadic year of our Lord—the ten thousandth year of the King Undying, the kindly Prince of Death!— Gideon Nav packed her sword, her shoes, and her dirty magazines, and she escaped from the House of the Ninth.
It's the exclamation mark and the dirty magazines that really hooked me. :D (Though now, reading through the first chapter again, I want to go back and check to see if the imaginary dirty mag in the late chapters of Harrow is Frontline Titties of the Fifth...)

ETA: I just went and checked and it IS, I am laughing so hard.

It is very evocative! But - that mix of mythological grandeur and wahey the lad(ette)s didn't come through in the opening pages. So... eh, this is all probably in my head and I'll try again in a few months with less expectations.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Lejays17

« Reply #14003 on: October 18, 2020, 12:55:00 AM »
Reading The Poppy War by R F Kuang.  Secondary world, the main characters trajectory is (very!) loosely based on Mao Zedong’s .  Enjoying it thoroughly, I picked it up on a whim at the start of the year, and Elfy read it a few weeks ago & enjoyed it a lot too.
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables you to be wrong with authority." The Doctor - Wheel in Space

"It's not destiny!  It's a crazy scientist with a giant snake!" Sinbad - For Whom the Egg Shatters

Offline Rangel91

« Reply #14004 on: October 18, 2020, 01:38:05 AM »
"The Sword of Tyre": Part one of the trilogy "The Conquest of Grellbain".

It's a new series. It describes a species of humanoid called "Ekkadi" who are tree dwellers. They live and travel through the trees, they are stronger than humans and have the ability to blend into their environment. One of the Ekkadi is a young hunter who sets out with his best friend on an adventure when some of their people go missing. They run across an army of reptilian monster who are led by a vengeful soldier. The book assimilates a host of characters all racing to find this weapon.

It is written almost like a movie, flashing back between the protagonists and the antagonists. A great read if you want to check it out (found it on Amazon)!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 01:41:18 AM by Rangel91 »

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #14005 on: October 18, 2020, 12:04:20 PM »
Started _ _ _  _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _ _ _ _.  ;)

Stopped on page 34 because I remembered that the furthest station is book 5.5 :)

Offline Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Kingkiller
  • Bookworm first, human second.
« Reply #14006 on: October 21, 2020, 04:10:26 PM »
Started Christopher Ruocchio's Demon In White. Only a few chapters in but already loving it. It's one of those rare books that will take me a while to read because of how good it is, rather than the opposite.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline Rostum

• Strange Turnip Person and He Who Waits
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #14007 on: October 22, 2020, 03:00:34 PM »
Re-reading the Tom Swan episodic stories by Christian Cameron and had forgotten how good they are.

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #14008 on: October 23, 2020, 08:59:23 PM »
Started Lies Sleeping, so after that it's the October Man, @Elfy. :)

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #14009 on: October 24, 2020, 12:47:18 AM »
Started Lies Sleeping, so after that it's the October Man, @Elfy. :)
Woohoo! Very interested to see how you view it.