September 26, 2020, 04:20:00 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 2072666 times)

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #13800 on: July 31, 2020, 08:28:39 AM »
I've finished up a few series lately, so I'm taking a risk with my next book. Under the Eagle by Simon Scarrow will be the first non-SFF book I've read in years.

That series is pretty great. I love the Cato and Macro dynamics (even though I have read only a few of the later books hahah)

Offline Wotan18

« Reply #13801 on: July 31, 2020, 10:22:54 AM »
Peter McLean
Damnation

Offline Bender

« Reply #13802 on: August 04, 2020, 02:58:47 PM »
Harrow the Ninth is out today. Am on it already!  ;D
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Online Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Bookworm first, human second.
« Reply #13803 on: August 04, 2020, 04:01:27 PM »
I've finished up a few series lately, so I'm taking a risk with my next book. Under the Eagle by Simon Scarrow will be the first non-SFF book I've read in years.

That series is pretty great. I love the Cato and Macro dynamics (even though I have read only a few of the later books hahah)

Absolutely loved it and have already put the rest of the series on my to-buy list.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #13804 on: August 05, 2020, 05:27:51 AM »
Harrow the Ninth is out today. Am on it already!  ;D

zomg *camps on mailbox*

I jest. The tyranny of the Pacific means that I can't really be expecting my "pre-order" for another two weeks yet. Sigh.

I am reading Sarah Tolcser's Song of the Current which is YA fantasy but thus far (70 pages in) it's reading like old-school fantasy for young'uns, with that sense that the view of the world is limited by the youth of the protagonist, and just about anything magical and wonderful might just leap out of the nooks and crannies of this big, wide, real world. I'm really enjoying it!

Offline JRTroughton

« Reply #13805 on: August 06, 2020, 11:44:34 AM »
I'm currently reading Gideon the Ninth and I'm enjoying it so much I may even jump straight into Harrow afterwards.

Offline Rostum

• Strange Turnip Person and He Who Waits
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #13806 on: August 06, 2020, 02:23:26 PM »
Reading Pans labyrinth a good start but I kind of know what to expect.
Finished Clarial and To Hold The Bridge ad reading Goldenhand now.
Read Tales of the Folly good but too short for the money and mostly available elsewhere.

Offline Bender

« Reply #13807 on: August 06, 2020, 06:26:20 PM »
Harrow the Ninth
by Tamsyn Muir

Overall: +7

A book of two halves that deserves to be read more than once to appreciate it fully. If you had any notions of how the plot may progress after finishing Gideon the Ninth, be prepared to suffer disappointment....followed by realization that a new wonderful book is waiting for you. For me this falls a shade below Gideon the Ninth...but still a very good read. And I'm eagerly awaiting Alecto the Ninth!

Writing/Plot/Pace: +7

As I said, it's a tale of two halves. First half (more like 75%) is all about Harrow. It's flush with prose and lean with plot. Looks like TM has gotten carried away with the prose a bit. It's fascinating, it's rich and it's frustrating after a point. There's only so much I could take about Harrow's misery monologue where her every emotion is described in just way too many words (nice words but still!). The plot sags but the author keeps throwing nuggets in just to keep you pushing through. The worldbuilding is also a bit static and we get the feel of a dark gothic drama all through.

Then we get to the last section, which ironically despite its names has less of Harrow and we get to the rollercoaster ride we got in book 1. The prose (rightfully!) takes a backseat to the plot. Events move at blitzkrieg pace and revelations hammer you one after other and you just up trying to anticipate where the author will take you next and just roll with it. Your impressions of characters get torn to shreds as they unveil other facets and as the book says you are "immersed into the river" gasping for breath.

The writing becomes a bit more confusing as it's written from a second person perspective which takes some getting used to.

Characters: +7

Nothing special here. We get to see many of the cast from earlier book make an appearance providing continuity and get to see new Lyctors and other plot movers. Lead character of Harrow spends most of book trying to adapt to her Lyctor-hood, but not much in way of character development. The Lyctors are interesting bunch and the socio-political dynamics between them make for a very interesting read.   
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 06:29:38 PM by Bender »
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline Bender

« Reply #13808 on: August 06, 2020, 06:34:45 PM »
Now starting, Hero Forged (Ethereal Earth #1) by Josh Erikson

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #13809 on: August 06, 2020, 08:16:52 PM »
Peter McLean
Damnation

@Wotan18 Now there's a series I don't hear much about. I loved those books!

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Online Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Bookworm first, human second.
« Reply #13810 on: August 08, 2020, 03:32:04 PM »
Started Uncompromising Honor. It's a behemoth of a book, but means I'm finally at the end the Honor Honor Harrington series.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline Bender

« Reply #13811 on: August 09, 2020, 03:56:37 AM »
Now starting, Hero Forged (Ethereal Earth #1) by Josh Erikson

Hero Forged
- Josh Erikson

It's an urban fantasy like no other I've read.

Gabe a small time conman is used as a pawn in a bigger game and ends up with a evil god in his head, a succubus bound to him and the evil gods lover god hunting him. Add in various supernatural factions working to their own ends and we get a most interesting world (ironically set in Nebraska) to delve into. The story is fast, action packed and unravels smoothly both in the current action and macro plot, to ensure you keep the pages turning fast.

If you're thinking of Dresden or Iron Druid, don't. It's totally different.

If you are in mood for something new and different, highly recommended.

8/10

Offline DCuervonegro

« Reply #13812 on: August 10, 2020, 04:14:10 AM »
Currently reading 3 books:
The Broken God by David Zindell (Nevernes was very interesting)
The Shadow Rising of the Wheel of Time.
Nuestro Amigo ComĂșn (Our common friend) by Charles Dickens.

I just finished Name of the Wind... terribly disappointed.

Offline isos81

« Reply #13813 on: August 10, 2020, 06:58:47 AM »
About to finish Children of Time. I think I'll dive into Path to Ascendancy trilogy by Ian C. Esslemont
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline Bender

« Reply #13814 on: August 10, 2020, 12:21:22 PM »
I just finished Name of the Wind... terribly disappointed.

Why?