October 21, 2020, 10:36:19 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 2085115 times)

Offline Bender

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #13785 on: July 24, 2020, 02:13:48 AM »
Darkdawn (The Nevernight Chronicle, #3).

Book 2 (Godsgrave) went a long way to cool down any interest I may have had in this series, but the twist at end and prospect of leaving a series unfinished combine to make me pick this up reluctantly. Fingers crossed, I power through this quick and this will be a better book.
Interesting. I liked book two a lot. :)

I didn't find it that believable.
- For a assassin she ignores her trained methods (which Ashlinn suggests) and chooses a spectacle instead. No matter how good an assassin she is, fighting a trained gladiator is a daunting task and near impossible to beat.
- Gladiators needs muscle more and that compromises stealth. I can't believe one person can be best in both.
- And we've seen the train for objective done in book 1. Doing it again in a different setting without progressing the overall plot felt stale. About 5% of the book moved the overall plot and other 95% was just repeats.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline isos81

« Reply #13786 on: July 24, 2020, 05:19:27 AM »
Finished Paternus - War of Gods. I think I'll try Children of Time
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #13787 on: July 24, 2020, 08:19:17 AM »
Darkdawn (The Nevernight Chronicle, #3).

Book 2 (Godsgrave) went a long way to cool down any interest I may have had in this series, but the twist at end and prospect of leaving a series unfinished combine to make me pick this up reluctantly. Fingers crossed, I power through this quick and this will be a better book.
Interesting. I liked book two a lot. :)

I didn't find it that believable.
- For a assassin she ignores her trained methods (which Ashlinn suggests) and chooses a spectacle instead. No matter how good an assassin she is, fighting a trained gladiator is a daunting task and near impossible to beat.
- Gladiators needs muscle more and that compromises stealth. I can't believe one person can be best in both.
- And we've seen the train for objective done in book 1. Doing it again in a different setting without progressing the overall plot felt stale. About 5% of the book moved the overall plot and other 95% was just repeats.

Kinda agree about the repeated training segments too, hahah. Once I'd managed to overlook those repetitions and the assassin being a great gladiator part, I found the book pretty good though (especially that ending, damn what an epilogue!)

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #13788 on: July 27, 2020, 08:03:07 PM »
I've finished Foundryside, by Robert Jackson Bennett.
It was interesting with a very detailed world system (comments in other threads), and a very diverse set of characters (not all just young people hehe).

I'm just annoyed that it's very visibly a part of a trilogy, unlike his Divine cities series where each book was almost a standalone. And this one's just been published, so I'll have to wait a while for the end...
(and amazon still says it's a "2 book series", despite the cover clearly saying 'trilogy')

Now I'm not sure what to read - maybe it's time to go back to Malazan ;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #13789 on: July 27, 2020, 08:32:05 PM »
I've finished Foundryside, by Robert Jackson Bennett.
It was interesting with a very detailed world system (comments in other threads), and a very diverse set of characters (not all just young people hehe).

I'm just annoyed that it's very visibly a part of a trilogy, unlike his Divine cities series where each book was almost a standalone. And this one's just been published, so I'll have to wait a while for the end...
(and amazon still says it's a "2 book series", despite the cover clearly saying 'trilogy')

Now I'm not sure what to read - maybe it's time to go back to Malazan ;D

I'll start Shorefall soon, will finish How long until Black Future Month? by N.K. Jemesin first.

Yes, go back to Malazan! :)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #13790 on: July 27, 2020, 08:42:10 PM »
Yes, go back to Malazan! :)
Alright ;D
I've read my last post on Reaper's Gale and a couple of (attempted) summaries online. Some things I remember, others I'm getting scared.
I'll just jump feet first and remember that at first I'll always be trying not to drown (ie everything will be very confusing ;))

Bring on Toll the hounds!

Offline Bender

« Reply #13791 on: July 28, 2020, 02:39:25 AM »
@tebakutis is Supremacy's shadow no longer in Kindle? How do I get hold of it?
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #13792 on: July 28, 2020, 08:47:09 PM »
@tebakutis is Supremacy's shadow no longer in Kindle? How do I get hold of it?

I just realized I never updated things here. Been awhile!

Earlier this year, I signed a contract with Aethon Books (https://www.aethonbooks.com/) to relaunch both my fantasy trilogy (Tales of the Five Provinces) and my scifi series (starting with Supremacy's Shadow). They will (eventually) be bringing all my books to audio, in addition to publishing my third scifi book, Supremacy's Outlaw. Of course, since they're doing a relaunch, that required taking down the books under T. Eric Bakutis (I'll be relaunching as T E Bakutis... totally different, at least as far as Amazon is concerned! :p)

So, Supremacy's Shadow should be available again near the end of this year, with the other two books coming out one and two months after, respectively. If you're down for audiobooks, the audio version of Supremacy's Shadow *is* still available on Audible, here:

https://www.audible.com/pd/Supremacys-Shadow-Audiobook/B07ZP9BYTT

Mark Delgado, my narrator, did an absolutely *fantastic* job with it, and with luck he'll get to narrate the next two books as well (still negotiating with Aethon).

Anyway, thanks for pinging me. :)

Offline ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #13793 on: July 29, 2020, 07:28:20 AM »
Hey, glad to see you around and congrats on the good news :)
Maybe stay a bit, pop around every once in a while?

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #13794 on: July 29, 2020, 08:28:55 AM »
Congrats Tebakutis! So is Supremacy's shadow available in trade paperback? It had always been in my tbr and maybe I'll finally get around to ordering it this time.

Offline Hedin

« Reply #13795 on: July 30, 2020, 03:28:47 PM »
I read Peace Talks last week and I'm a bit conflicted on it.  It was definitely nice to get back into that world (I remembered more characters than I thought but a few took me a bit to re-place) and I enjoyed what was there but it felt really incomplete.  There was a bunch of setup and questions to be asked but nothing was really resolved within it.  I expect/hope that Battlegrounds will tie that off, and if you haven't read Peace Talks yet I might wait until the other book comes out and you can read them together, but taken just as it is currently it felt too much hanging.

Offline Bender

« Reply #13796 on: July 30, 2020, 03:57:11 PM »

Shadow of a Dead God - Patrick Samphire.

Picked this from the latest SPFBO. Started off well, light hearted and a bit of humour running through. Fingers crossed.

Offline ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #13797 on: July 30, 2020, 04:02:46 PM »
@Hedin! :D
Is this the day to welcome stragglers? Yay

Offline Hedin

« Reply #13798 on: July 30, 2020, 04:10:23 PM »
@Hedin! :D
Is this the day to welcome stragglers? Yay

Its my quarterly "Hey I read a book I better check in!" check in.  The timing kind of fits because I had an unread message from Eclipse from March (sorry, wasn't ghosting I just never saw it!) on Goodreads.  Good thing is with Battlegrounds and The Trouble With Peace I have at least 2 more books to read in the near future!

Online Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Kingkiller
  • Bookworm first, human second.
« Reply #13799 on: July 30, 2020, 05:35:16 PM »
I've finished up a few series lately, so I'm taking a risk with my next book. Under the Eagle by Simon Scarrow will be the first non-SFF book I've read in years.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex