October 27, 2020, 12:54:06 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 2087988 times)

Offline Bender

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #13770 on: July 16, 2020, 12:32:41 PM »
In fact Inky, that last quarter alone is worth the book.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
« Reply #13771 on: July 16, 2020, 02:52:50 PM »
No I haven't read it! Was a bit skittish about returning to that world, and not a fan of epistolary and collected writings like this usually, but I'll be sure to pick it up eventually.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Kingkiller
  • Bookworm first, human second.
« Reply #13772 on: July 16, 2020, 03:00:24 PM »
@ScarletBea I'm 90% sure it's a standalone. Definitely written as one, but there's always a chance she'll write a sequel at some point.

Having spent time in University translating Anglo Saxon and Chinese Poetry, I loved seeing the different translations of the old tablets. I also thought the epistolary style really worked with the story, though it's not one I read a lot of.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline ericlewis

« Reply #13773 on: July 18, 2020, 03:21:55 AM »
I just finished The Club Dumas by Arturo Perez-Reverte. This isn't really a fantasy book, more like a literary thriller about book nerds and Satanic cults. But I think it has an air of otherworldliness that fantasy readers might enjoy. It inspired the film The Ninth Gate but it differs in many key ways.

I started Tigana by GGK. In fact the only other book of his I read is Children of Earth and Sky, mostly because I needed a comp title for pitchng my own novel that was a fantasy without magic. This one is called his best by many, so I picked up an old copy with a nice vintage cover.
"No one gets what they deserve in life, except by accident."
--Spymistress Vinian, The Heron Kings

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #13774 on: July 18, 2020, 08:50:37 PM »
Just reread the Shepherd's Crown by the late Sir Pterry.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Nighteyes

• Juicy dwarf/orc erotica to go.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
« Reply #13775 on: July 21, 2020, 12:26:43 AM »
Utopia Avenue by David Mitchell
The Real Powers That Be

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #13776 on: July 21, 2020, 04:56:17 AM »
I just finished The Club Dumas by Arturo Perez-Reverte. This isn't really a fantasy book, more like a literary thriller about book nerds and Satanic cults. But I think it has an air of otherworldliness that fantasy readers might enjoy. It inspired the film The Ninth Gate but it differs in many key ways.

I started Tigana by GGK. In fact the only other book of his I read is Children of Earth and Sky, mostly because I needed a comp title for pitchng my own novel that was a fantasy without magic. This one is called his best by many, so I picked up an old copy with a nice vintage cover.

I've heard a lot of good things about Guy Gavriel Kay. Do let me know how the book goes!

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #13777 on: July 21, 2020, 09:13:58 AM »
Utopia Avenue by David Mitchell
I heard about this one, is it about a band? It sounded a bit strange...

I've started reading Foundryside, by Robert Jackson Bennett.
Interesting, but it's got one of my bugbears in fantasy books: a mixture of names, from invented to normal and to normal in foreign languages... Keep to one trend, please!
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #13778 on: July 21, 2020, 03:00:09 PM »
I'm finally starting War of Gods, the third book in Dyrk Ashton's Paternus series. So far so good, an a truckload of mythology has emptied its load across the pages :)

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline Bender

« Reply #13779 on: July 21, 2020, 05:03:34 PM »
Darkdawn (The Nevernight Chronicle, #3).

Book 2 (Godsgrave) went a long way to cool down any interest I may have had in this series, but the twist at end and prospect of leaving a series unfinished combine to make me pick this up reluctantly. Fingers crossed, I power through this quick and this will be a better book.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #13780 on: July 22, 2020, 03:29:21 PM »
Finished Paternus: Rise of Gods (Paternus #1) by Dyrk Ashton. Quite entertaining, but basically a big old chase for most of the book. It's a contemporary mythic fantasy, kind of Neil Gaiman-ish.

I'm going on to Swan Song by Robert R McCammon, a big fat post-apocalyptic horror(?) novel. Like Paternus, this is another of my Prime Reading loans that I'm trying to read before I let my Prime membership expire. If this one's 950 pages, I don't rate my chances of reading the other 8 books I have on loan, in a little over a month. Most of the self-published books I will be able to borrow again when/if I rejoin Prime, but this one's trad-pub (Stoker winner and WFA nominee) so I'll probably lose my chance if I don't read it now.

Offline isos81

« Reply #13781 on: July 22, 2020, 04:16:40 PM »
Finished Paternus: Rise of Gods (Paternus #1) by Dyrk Ashton. Quite entertaining, but basically a big old chase for most of the book. It's a contemporary mythic fantasy, kind of Neil Gaiman-ish.

The chase continues, but it gets better in the 2nd book. And the 3rd book is the best among the trilogy, IMO.
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline Rostum

• Strange Turnip Person and He Who Waits
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #13782 on: July 23, 2020, 12:32:54 PM »
Finished the Unlikely escape of Uriah Heep. It redeemed itself towards the end but was a bit flat in the middle.
Maybe its Lit aspirations were too subtle for me. I guess it was Ink heart for grown ups.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #13783 on: July 23, 2020, 08:54:55 PM »
Darkdawn (The Nevernight Chronicle, #3).

Book 2 (Godsgrave) went a long way to cool down any interest I may have had in this series, but the twist at end and prospect of leaving a series unfinished combine to make me pick this up reluctantly. Fingers crossed, I power through this quick and this will be a better book.
Interesting. I liked book two a lot. :)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #13784 on: July 23, 2020, 10:39:07 PM »
Finished the Unlikely escape of Uriah Heep. It redeemed itself towards the end but was a bit flat in the middle.
Maybe its Lit aspirations were too subtle for me. I guess it was Ink heart for grown ups.
I loved the book. I think a lot of it centred around the fact that it was set in Wellington in New Zealand. I've been to Wellington a couple of times and really like the city, so I could picture it all quite clearly. It also helped that I'd recently watched Wellington Paranomal, which is a mockumentary comedy series about weird happenings in and around Wellington. I also found the characters (the non fictional ones) quite likable and relatable.