August 06, 2020, 10:58:33 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 2046059 times)

Online Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #13740 on: July 11, 2020, 02:23:05 PM »
Finsihed We Are The Dead. I enjoyed it, although it did feel dark for dark's sake at times. Still, it's nice to have started a series where I'm actually excited to pick up the next book. Those have been few and far between recently.

Next I'm onto Cauldron of Ghosts, and am very nearly at the end of the Honor Harrington series.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline Bender

« Reply #13741 on: July 11, 2020, 06:38:39 PM »
I've been slowly re-reading the Dresden Files. And when I say slowly, I picked up Storm Front for the 2nd time in 2015 (I had to check Goodsreads!) and I'm up to Cold Days.

I've just recently finished Cold Days as well. What do you think about the book? Personally, I still prefer the pre-Changes Dresden Files all the way.

The character would become stale soon without undergoing maturity/development. Cold Days wasn't really a good novel, Skin Game is better. We see him maturing with his powers, as a dad. Now there's a whole slew of stuff about Dresden that aren't  known (his mom, birth, the walker problem etc) and I don't mind the new Dresden at all.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline Bender

« Reply #13742 on: July 11, 2020, 06:39:33 PM »
After high recommendations from Xiagan and Inky, I'm some way through Nevernight and it's cracking. Really fun read.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Online Cherie

« Reply #13743 on: July 11, 2020, 07:34:20 PM »
I've been slowly re-reading the Dresden Files. And when I say slowly, I picked up Storm Front for the 2nd time in 2015 (I had to check Goodsreads!) and I'm up to Cold Days.

I've just recently finished Cold Days as well. What do you think about the book? Personally, I still prefer the pre-Changes Dresden Files all the way.
I like it. I like all of them. I don't really have a preference, as it's an ongoing evolution of the character. There's still the snark and sarcasm, but Dresden has grown in knowledge, power, experience and pain. His friends and allies have also suffered. No-one could go through that and come out exactly the same as they started out.

I would be more disappointed if the dynamics and feel of the books hadn't evolved.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #13744 on: July 12, 2020, 01:15:31 AM »

I like it. I like all of them. I don't really have a preference, as it's an ongoing evolution of the character. There's still the snark and sarcasm, but Dresden has grown in knowledge, power, experience and pain. His friends and allies have also suffered. No-one could go through that and come out exactly the same as they started out.

I would be more disappointed if the dynamics and feel of the books hadn't evolved.
For me Changes was the high point of the series, and while I don’t get the hate on Ghost Story or Cold Days, I do think the story has struggled to reach the levels it did earlier. I am very much looking forward to Peace Talks and Battle Ground and maybe the hiatus has helped Harry and Jim get their mojo back.

Offline Bender

« Reply #13745 on: July 12, 2020, 05:03:51 AM »
Thanks to Hurricane Fay, a whole day of indoors and I'm done with Nevernight. What a book. I liked it as much as Red Sister and anyone who liked Ancestors trilogy should love this too.

Nevernight
- Jay Kristoff

Overall: +9

Cracking read. from the start, it keeps you interested all the way to an epic climax with a twist I didn't see coming. There's some explicit sex content that honestly didn't add anything to the book, but apart from that, it's been brilliant. Looking to dive into book 2 straight away....

Writing/Plot/Pace: +9

The plot is woven brilliantly between a university/teaching type and still gives a hint of the macro. The sub-plot makes it much of interesting and we get a balance of learning/skills upgrade and good development of overall plot.

As said before, the explicit sex scenes don't add value but they are only a couple of pages, so nothing too detrimental. The romance is very understated (which is good as I hate romance in stories) and kept very realistic. I certainly isn't grimdark, but it has some bloody scenes which fall under "gritty realism" better.

Characters: +9

Story is told from pov of protagonist, but the supporting cast is interesting and influential. They all play a key part in the book which makes it all the more colorful.

Offline DCuervonegro

« Reply #13746 on: July 12, 2020, 03:54:18 PM »
Nice review. Thank for the heads up. I had no idea this had come out and certainly seems interesting. What kind of setting is it? Is it high fantasy?

Offline Bender

« Reply #13747 on: July 12, 2020, 07:00:00 PM »
Nice review. Thank for the heads up. I had no idea this had come out and certainly seems interesting. What kind of setting is it? Is it high fantasy?

Similar to Mark Lawrence Red Sister. It's got a church, Roman sounding names, gladiator type pits, faith based magic system etc etc.

Offline DCuervonegro

« Reply #13749 on: July 13, 2020, 03:00:51 AM »
I'm halfway through Name of the Wind so far.

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #13750 on: July 13, 2020, 05:23:56 AM »
After running out of things to read (we went back into lockdown about when I was intending to do a library run...) and after my husband heckling me to do it for years, I am finally reading The Martian.

Online S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #13751 on: July 13, 2020, 06:21:27 AM »
After running out of things to read (we went back into lockdown about when I was intending to do a library run...) and after my husband heckling me to do it for years, I am finally reading The Martian.

I absolutely loved the movie. How does the book compared?

I've finished reading Supernova (Renegades #3) 4.5 stars. It's a pretty good YA superhero novel, and although it's not up to the level of Reckoners I'd still wholeheartedly recommend this to anyone who love superhero fantasies. It's got a quite an original ending as well, so there's that.

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #13752 on: July 13, 2020, 07:12:33 AM »

I absolutely loved the movie. How does the book compared?

I actually haven't seen the film but I could see Matt Damon doing great stuff with the wise-cracking everyman main character. For me, the book is a bit heavy on the hard sci-fi technical details - I have a personal dislike of "scrambling to survive in the harshness of space!" man-vs-elements narratives, and this is one of those at heart. But the voice of that narrator main character is great, and everytime we step aside for more personal/political drama back on earth with more characters, it's really nicely written as well. Overall, I'm enjoying it, but I'm pushing fast through it because I'm not really inclined to linger.

Offline Bender

« Reply #13753 on: July 13, 2020, 06:19:14 PM »
Nevernight book 2 didn't really catch my fancy as much as book 1, so decided to take a break.

Picked up on A King's Bargain (Legend of Tal #1) from the latest SPFBO submissions.

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #13754 on: July 13, 2020, 06:31:04 PM »
I finished my re-read of Lawrence's Broken Empire: it was still great, and I picked up a lot more details, especially in book 3.

Now for something very different, Marie Brennan's Turning darkness into light.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!